share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

[Green Tech] Cree 9W daylight bulb

Does anyone know if this is ever going to drop in price like the softwhite 2700K bulb?

I have about 32 bulbs to replace but really hesitant because of the color

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

[Green Tech] Re: Cree 9W daylight bulb

btw I'm talking about this bulb here

»www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-60W-Equ···c1vZbm79

Not sure if 2700k for a hallway is going to be too yellow with eggshell white.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Pher9999

join:2011-07-06
Carmel, NY
at the $3.97 price CT HD is selling them for, it's worth a try. I use the soft white here cause of complaints of Daylight bulbs. I personally like Daylight. However CT prices are way cheaper then NY.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Yeah CL&P is subsidizing the price I just wish it was for both colors.

the fixtures can hold 4 bulbs per fixture but it's enclosed being it has a glass cover that locks into place.

I assume 4 60W equivalent will be pretty bright
--

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
reply to Subaru
2700K is the same color temperature as a standard incandescent bulb.
5000K is the same color temperature as a Daylight Fluorescent lamp.

I use 5000K lighting in Basement/Workshop & Outside fixtures, and 2700K in Living spaces, but that is just My preference.
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
I might stop in the Norwalk store tomorrow.. I don't know when the last time you went in but online it just says low stock.. Not sure what that means..

I planned on picking up 2 just to see how it would look in the fixture

Right now you have a mixture of warm white and daylight.. and the warm white makes it very orange looking.
--

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
Yes, Compared Side-by-side, Warm White looks orange against Daylight, But I've found that the Sheer Stark Whiteness of 5000K Daylight bulbs tends to get a bit tiring on the eyes over time...
While Daylight is good for a Workshop environment, 2700K Warm White is more relaxing on the eyes in a casual Living/Dining/Bedroom atmosphere, IMHO...
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Well it's about a 100 Ft long hallway.. maybe if the walls were not an off-white color it would not be as bad looking.

The crazy thing is all these T12 fixtures up.. but that's for another day

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
reply to Subaru

Re: [Green Tech] Cree 9W daylight bulb

I keep buying the crap out of them when they hit $9.99 mark at the local lowes.

Aside from the "Utilitech Pro" floodlights I am running on the front of the house as a test, the cree bulbs are all I will trust in the led front.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
I have a bunch to convert but I will do the hallway lights first since it's a huge mix of colors..

Not sure how to handle The T12 florescent fixtures I don't think I've seen anything in regards of t12 LED tubes.

More concerned about the fixtures that are some 32 Ft up as I have 5 tubes out on that.
--

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
reply to Pher9999

Re: [Green Tech] Re: Cree 9W daylight bulb

I would almost make a run to CT to get those at a $3.97 price...LOL.. In NJ and DE they are almost $10.00.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

DarkHelmet

join:2014-02-21
reply to Subaru

I'm shocked CT finally added a subsidy and not only that they beat MA's by $1.00. Personally I don't like the daylight color at all. MA had LED bulbs on sale for Earth Day for $1.97 each last year so I got 30 of them. Earth Day happens to be tomorrow (4/22/14) so they might be on sale again.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Lol well I'm at HD now and picked up 3 of them I hope it won't be too off with the hallway color..

Oh and the low stock they have 7 left on display and a new case they have not opened yet.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

Not sure how to handle The T12 florescent fixtures I don't think I've seen anything in regards of t12 LED tubes.

If you're switching to LED then T8 or T12 doesn't matter - they use the same socket and you need to remove the ballast either way.

I have not tried them but I found some cheap ones here, though they went up $10 (were $18 ea) from 8 months ago...

/M

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to DarkHelmet
I just don't know the longevity of it.. I would have to really have to do testing.. For easy to get to fixtures its OK.. But at say 30ft I'm not sure the amount of lunes will be enough... I assume both t8 and t12 put out over 2000 lumes

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
OK I wanted to put them in the fixture but the door was locked and don't have the key yet lol

So I have two of them on right now, Not as bad.. I thought it was going to look like those CFL's in the late 90's that looked just blah and too warm.

Now they have been on for about 10 min now, and in my room I have a Ikea 600lm 10W LED in a lamp and the base gets so hot and still hot after being off for 8 min. But the Cree lights the base is not hot at all and I don't see why they can't be used in a enclosed fixture..

Now this might sound silly if I have 4 of these in a fixture with 800 lumens each so that's 3200 lumens right?

Anyways this Ikea bulb must not be that efficient.. for 10W it only puts out 600 lm and the base gets over 50c
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
Heh picked up 3 more funny thing was it seemed as bright as a 100w 130v service lamp..

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

For easy to get to fixtures its OK.. But at say 30ft I'm not sure the amount of lunes will be enough... I assume both t8 and t12 put out over 2000 lumes

With that height you should consider converting to T5HO.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by robbin:

said by Subaru:

For easy to get to fixtures its OK.. But at say 30ft I'm not sure the amount of lunes will be enough... I assume both t8 and t12 put out over 2000 lumes

With that height you should consider converting to T5HO.

But that would require to change all the fixtures.. it's 6 fixtures per truss.. I don't remember the total off hand but it would be near 30 that would have to be changed out..
--

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Pher9999

Re: [Green Tech] Re: Cree 9W daylight bulb

said by Pher9999:

at the $3.97 price CT HD is selling them for, it's worth a try. I use the soft white here cause of complaints of Daylight bulbs. I personally like Daylight. However CT prices are way cheaper then NY.

Wow, I wish they were priced close to that here.

--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
That's the wrong one.. only the 2700K are $3.97 the 5000K are $10.97

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

I might stop in the Norwalk store tomorrow.. I don't know when the last time you went in but online it just says low stock.. Not sure what that means..

I planned on picking up 2 just to see how it would look in the fixture

Right now you have a mixture of warm white and daylight.. and the warm white makes it very orange looking.

what you want is the 5000K for a white light then. look here. »www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/cr···ined.htm

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Well being that the bulbs don't look as bad as I thought color-wise.. and the cost is cheaper then the 5000K I opted for the 2700K... BUT someone changed the last fixture down the hallway from what looks to be a 4 pin base CFL and it's 5000K.

Everyday I find a new stash of bulbs hidden in a room.

What I do want to know is 2700K and 4100K is the 4100K going to be too white looking? I have to get about 10 85 or 105W CFL and on the fence on the color.. being that it's all dark wood it makes it dark as it is now, which must be like 14 or 23W CFL's installed.

Would of loved to do LED but they are not up to those level of brightness I need yet.
--

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

That's the wrong one.. only the 2700K are $3.97 the 5000K are $10.97

Just used the link you provided above.

And the 2700's are almost double the price in GA.

--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
ouch

I do wonder how long will the power company subsidize the price? I don't remember when it started but I know it's been at least a year since I noticed the $3.97 price.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

But that would require to change all the fixtures.. it's 6 fixtures per truss.. I don't remember the total off hand but it would be near 30 that would have to be changed out..

You can get retrofit kits that change a 4 tube T12 into a two tube T5. Greater than 50% energy savings and more lumens than the T12s. If the building is used much, it wouldn't take long to make up the retrofit expense with energy savings.

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03

1 edit
said by robbin:

said by Subaru:

You can get retrofit kits that change a 4 tube T12 into a two tube T5. Greater than 50% energy savings and more lumens than the T12s. If the building is used much, it wouldn't take long to make up the retrofit expense with energy savings.

WOW, twice the light while using half the energy? it seems like a T8 bulb is as efficient as the T5 though.. and no adapter is needed. »buildipedia.com/aec-pros/facilit···omponent

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to robbin
Well the truss lights are single tube T12's all this depending what I will do will have to be done in stages.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
I'm here now and its 36 fixtures in the trusses with 8 bulbs out.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Before I changed anything
OK glad I did not get the daylight bulbs LOL.. after I did two fixtures and I saw what looked to be a 6500K CFL down the hallway in a fixture I was like yuck!

So I need about 18 or 20 more bulbs

Need some sales on R30 bulbs lol

Wow I rotate the pictures in a editor and it still comes out sideways...
--