Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

[iPad] USB Charging Question

Hi,

My work purchased me a iPad Air 32GB. At home, it charges no problem by USB on my desktop computer. But at work, it doesn't charge and instead gives a "Not Charging" message, regardless if I plug it into the monitor's USB, my laptop, or into the docking station.

I read online that it said that the iPad will, infact, charge even if it has the "Not Charging" message, but only when the iPad is sleeping.

Is this true? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Robert

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by Robert:

My work purchased me a iPad Air 32GB. At home, it charges no problem by USB on my desktop computer.

what kind of computer do you have as your desktop?
said by Robert:

But at work, it doesn't charge and instead gives a "Not Charging" message, regardless if I plug it into the monitor's USB, my laptop, or into the docking station.

this is pretty common on windows devices. most windows pc's won't charge an ipad at all.
said by Robert:

I read online that it said that the iPad will, infact, charge even if it has the "Not Charging" message, but only when the iPad is sleeping.

it will charge. but its very slow.

q.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

Thanks for the replies.

My home computer is a Dell AIO XPS 27".

Stefania
Jezu Chryste, Kubi
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Chicago, IL

Stefania to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
The iPad Air has higher charging requirements than even the iPad Mini. You will need at least 12 watts to charge the Air. My best recommendation is to use the included USB adapter that came with the Air.

koolman2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

koolman2 to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
It should still charge while asleep. I haven't tested recently, but last time I checked it took several hours to go up by like 20%. Overnight usually isn't an issue.