Search similar:

uniqs

ATI_HD5450
@rogers.com

ATI_HD5450

Anon

Sapphire Radeon HD5450 Minimum CPU Requiremets

Hi,
I have Pentium E2160 CPU overclocked @2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, Intel G41 Chipset Mobo, and 450W PSU running Win7 32bit without any problems.

Currently I'm using built-in Intel GMA graphics and it sucks. I want to buy Sapphire Radeon HD5450 but I am worried that the CPU will be a bottleneck. Now, I know the whole story about HD5450 being extremely basic and that there are better cards out there, so please don't tell me that.

I just want to know will my CPU have enough processing power to handle this particular graphics card or not. Basically is it a good combination or not, I don't want for one thing to idle while the other one is working full throttle trying to catch up.
Thanks.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

Yes, your CPU is plenty to max out a Radeon HD 5450.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael to ATI_HD5450

Premium Member

to ATI_HD5450
TBH, upgrading the CPU to a newer generation Intel Haswell or AMD will be a much larger boost than buying the HD5450.

kvn864
join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ

kvn864 to ATI_HD5450

to ATI_HD5450
said by ATI_HD5450 :

is it a good combination or not

I think this is great combination of similar hardware. You seem to understand that you won't be able to move mountains with it, so it will be fine for general use. What are the use intentions? if you don't mind me asking.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to ATI_HD5450

Premium Member

to ATI_HD5450
I don't think anyone can guarantee that the CPU won't be any sort of bottleneck at all, but it definitely will be a huge improvement in your user experience.

I think a better approach is just upgrading entirely and putting the money from the 5450 towards a current gen APU. That way you'll get massively improved graphics and CPU performance, but what do I know...
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf to ATI_HD5450

Premium Member

to ATI_HD5450
If you have any doubts about the benefit of buying a 5450 then give us more specifics about the performance problem you are trying to address.

ATI_HD5450
@rogers.com

ATI_HD5450

Anon

I think a better approach is just upgrading entirely

That means I would have to replace the whole computer from scratch. It's not happening anytime soon, I have to work with the hardware that's already there.

upgrading the CPU to a newer generation Intel Haswell or AMD

I know that Ferrari is better than Pontiac. Again, only this particular configuration, not buying a new computer anytime soon.

If you have any doubts about the benefit of buying a 5450 then give us more specifics about the performance problem you are trying to address.

It's just going to be a basic computer for word processing, internet browsing and youtube videos. I originally had another computer with Celeron D356 and Radeon 9600XT, but I gave it away when I was moving. Now I got this Pentium E2160 box and I was expecting it to be if not faster, but at least on par with my old one. I was wrong, at least at this point.

Intel GMA X4500 is supposedly newer and supports DX10, but it comes nowhere even close to my old Radeon 9600XT. I would say that performance-wise Intel GMA X4500 is somewhere around GeForce2 MX 400 that I used to have back in 2002. I've noticed when I'm watching youtube videos the CPU load is getting pretty high, therefore it seems like Intel GMA offloads its work to the CPU. Now I want buy Radeon HD5450 which is hardware accelerated and the CPU won't have to worry about processing videos anymore and can focus on other things.

It seems like Radeon HD5450 is similar in performance to my old Radeon 9600XT and that's OK, since the CPU is old and I don't want to buy a card that it can't handle. The other option is to buy a used Pentium E6700 3.2 GHz, but this way I will end up with an even more unbalanced system. Also my current CPU is already overclocked at 2.4GHz, so I don't think it would be wise to invest in a similar CPU, instead it would be better to buy HD5450 and that's it.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

In that case, anything in the 5450+ range of GPUs will work just fine for you.
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf to ATI_HD5450

Premium Member

to ATI_HD5450
I would say what you are doing is appropriate then.