All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
afterburn999
join:2010-09-12
Scarborough, ON

afterburn999

[Internet] Is this good or bad line stats?

I just recently switched to 150/15 and can't seem to saturate my connection with any kind of download despite being able to do a speed test and showing 160/15.

»imgur.com/UmF7KEN

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

2 edits

elitefx

That's probably because the downstream signal strength is not good. The closest to +/- 0 dbmv is optimal. »Adelphia High Speed Internet »FAQ: Acceptable cable modem signal levels.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to afterburn999

to afterburn999
There's nothing wrong with the cable line, those stats are good.

Also, if cable signal was sub-optimal, it would reflect on speed tests as well since it would have nothing to do with routing or application implementation.

Try an Ubuntu torrent:

»www.ubuntu.com/download/ ··· ownloads

Realistically, there isn't a lot of scenarios where a single download needs to a full 150Mbps.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

You'll find that, at least in my experience, that downstream power levels are usually within +/- 2 dbmv on the Rogers Network. Can't speak for the TPIA crowd.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

Rogers Retail or TPIA makes no difference, it is the exact same physical infrastructure. Rogers goes by +11/-11, but the spec is actually +15/-15.

The OP has no issue with his DS signal levels.
c0d3r
join:2011-11-16
Richmond Hill, ON

c0d3r to afterburn999

to afterburn999
How come you are only having 9 Port IDs for the download streams?, I'm having 20 Port IDs, each of them is having +1~+4 dBmV, same 150/15 plan, CGN3
afterburn999
Scarborough, ON

afterburn999

said by c0d3r:

How come you are only having 9 Port IDs for the download streams?, I'm having 20 Port IDs, each of them is having +1~+4 dBmV, same 150/15 plan, CGN3

No Idea can you post a pic so I can see? I might have to give them a call tonight.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to afterburn999

Mod

to afterburn999
There's nothing wrong with the dowstream signals, certainly. There is an anomaly with the upstream ... Not out of spec, but unusual ... There's about 5 dB difference between the signal on upstream port 3 compared with ports 1 and 2. Normally these are within about 1 to 2 dB of each other. On the early channel bonded modems, a difference of more than 1 dB would actually result in failure.

What is in your modem's log?
afterburn999
Scarborough, ON

afterburn999

said by sbrook:

There's nothing wrong with the dowstream signals, certainly. There is an anomaly with the upstream ... Not out of spec, but unusual ... There's about 5 dB difference between the signal on upstream port 3 compared with ports 1 and 2. Normally these are within about 1 to 2 dB of each other. On the early channel bonded modems, a difference of more than 1 dB would actually result in failure.

What is in your modem's log?

Where would I find the log? I have a splitter attached to the line and I'm wondering if it might be causing an issue.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

OK, I didn't read that you were getting 160/15 ... presumably you're on the 150/15 tier.

How are you trying to "saturate" your downstream? It's very possible that you are just expecting more than the sites you're downloading from can deliver.
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2

said by sbrook:

How are you trying to "saturate" your downstream? It's very possible that you are just expecting more than the sites you're downloading from can deliver.

Exactly. I would suggest that OP try the following.
Fire up a torrent client and download 4 Ubuntu torrents simultaneously and it will max out your connection in mere seconds.
»www.ubuntu.com/download/ ··· ownloads

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

assuming nobody downloads from him at the same time, saturating his upload.
c0d3r
join:2011-11-16
Richmond Hill, ON

c0d3r to afterburn999

to afterburn999
said by afterburn999:

said by c0d3r:

No Idea can you post a pic so I can see? I might have to give them a call tonight.

Here you go: »imgur.com/hYv6iPh

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Even with 9 downstream channels should still work ... the fact that a speedtest gives 160 Mbps, it's nothing to do with the modem.
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2 to sbrook

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

assuming nobody downloads from him at the same time, saturating his upload.

It won't because it will have a ratio ~500 seeders to one leecher. A single leecher will probably never even connect to another leecher let alone down from one another.