dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jay d bee
join:2014-04-18

jay d bee

[Connectivity] Major packet loss issue HELP!!

Let me start by saying I am not very tech savvy at all, so I apologize in advance for the lack of info included when describing my problem.

I was having major "lag" problems while console gaming so I asked a friend what I should do and he referred me to this site and it's ping test. I haven't called Comcast yet, as I don't really know what to tell them to get help fixing the problem. I was hoping to get some advice or pointers before calling them so I have some kind of idea about exactly what my issue is. I'm using a Technicolor 8305c modem.

»/pingt ··· /3175925
jay d bee

jay d bee

[Connectivity] Re: Major packet loss issue HELP!!

Is the link to my test viewable?

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

MDA to jay d bee

Premium Member

to jay d bee
Yes, your link is perfectly viewable.

Does your router have a firewall enabled on it? It looks like an ICMP issue where the pings are blocked at your end.

The other places where there is loss is also a form of ICMP blocking since those servers are probably managed to be kept under high load, but is normal on the internet. As long as it gets to you, that's what counts.
jay d bee

jay d bee

Yes, a "low security" firewall.

Thank you for the response.

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

MDA

Premium Member

Choose Custom security and see If there is an option to allow ICMP or Ping from WAN port (or something of the sort), enable that and see if it fixes the issue.

Disabling the entire firewall (which I do on all my home routers since they all block more than necessary, but never do that for a company.) would be the next step if it still fails to ping you.

I read that low security should allow pings where medium security starts to block them, but worth a try.
jay d bee

jay d bee

I switched to custom security and am getting the same results from the ping test. I do not see an option to allow ICMP or ping from WAN port.

Thank you for the response.

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

MDA

Premium Member

Unfortunately, I've not heard good things about the Technicolor 8305c gateway. Next thing to try is call comcast and have them put your modem in "Bridge Mode". This will disable the router portion of the modem so you can only use one device directly to the modem.

Do this to see if it is the router part of the modem and if it is, then unfortunately, there would need to be a future firmware fix for it and you would have to use a dedicated router for the time being.

You can always call them again to disable bridge mode and re-enable the router portion of the modem at any time if you need internet connectivity for more than 1 device or it doesn't fix the issue (which would be an issue outside of your place).
jay d bee

jay d bee

Ok, I will call them right now. Wish me luck lol.

Thank you very much for the help MDA.

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
Minneapolis, MN

MDA

Premium Member

No problem. I just hope you don't have to go more than a day with this issue (which happens a lot with big cable companies).
jay d bee

jay d bee

They're trying to send me another modem (the same Technicolor) to fix the issue. I just switched to that modem a couple weeks ago, but I kept the old one and I'm having the same problem with both.

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

1 edit

MDA

Premium Member

If they don't know what you mean by "bridge mode", then you need to request someone that would know how to do it as someone in the center your calling in to should know how to do it (every time I've called in for my grandmothers TG862 gateway, the rep knew what i was talking about). After two of the same modems being sent to you, then they are obviously clueless representatives.

Gotta keep pestering them with these sorts of issues and don't get trapped into buying more services or equipment like they might be doing to you right now.

In the meantime, if you still have your modem's router functioning, try choosing Custom Security, then "Disable Entire Firewall" and try the test again. From what you told me, I think I skipped over that detail.

Bridge mode should be the deciding factor if its the modem that's the issue or outside of your place and farther up the line that is the issue.
jay d bee

jay d bee

They tried to sell me some cable and phone service to fix my issue lol?

I disabled the firewall, but it did not fix the issue, I'm still getting 99% packet loss at my router.

I will call them back to get it set into bridge mode.

Once again thank you so much for the help since this is incredibly frustrating.

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
Minneapolis, MN

MDA

Premium Member

Alright, hopefully you can speak to someone that knows what they are doing... lol
jay d bee

jay d bee

It looks like bridge mode has fixed my issue.

I can't run the line quality test as it says my router is unpingable. But I am able to play and complete games without any interruption or drops which was my main concern. Hopefully it stays this way.

Thank you so much for the advie MDA!!!!!!

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

1 edit

MDA

Premium Member

You are most welcome. As an aspiring IT admin. in college, I always like more options that what the basic network equipment gives you. There are other sites like pingtest.net you can use to test basic latency.

Saying this, I would get a dedicated router in the future and get a modem that is just a modem and no built-in router (gateway). Those are mostly for homes that are wired new for networking and don't have existing equipment. They also push them into people homes so they can increase their Xfinity wifi hotspots.

If you know what you're doing when setting up a dedicated router, then I'd suggest you'd get one with your newly bridged modem (unless you are the only one who uses the modem).