Search similar:

uniqs

BSAIII
join:2007-06-16
Las Vegas, NV

BSAIII

[STB] Alternative to extra STB?

»www.actiontec.com/219.html

I currently have 2 DVR and 1 STB. If I go to the VMS can this thing (with an extra receiver) be a decent alternative to renting the extra 2 STB?

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards

said by BSAIII:

»www.actiontec.com/219.html

I currently have 2 DVR and 1 STB. If I go to the VMS can this thing (with an extra receiver) be a decent alternative to renting the extra 2 STB?

It looks like it only retransmits the video output of an input device (BD, STB, PC, etc.). Unless you want to watch the same thing on all 3 sets then I don't believe this will work for you.

The VMS sends additional tuners to the "mini" boxes via IP so you need the additional boxes to utilize.

BSAIII
join:2007-06-16
Las Vegas, NV

BSAIII

I live alone, and since I have not been diagnosed with multiple personalities, there is only 1 show being watched at a time.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

If you go that path, you're going to need a solution to changing the channel remotely.
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
·Verizon FiOS
(Software) pfSense
Panasonic KX-TGP600

mikev

Premium Member

said by More Fiber:

If you go that path, you're going to need a solution to changing the channel remotely.

Actually, looking at the data sheet, it supports IR signals over it as well.
dewdude
pfSense on xcp-ng Asterisk geek
join:2010-03-27
Manassas, VA

dewdude to BSAIII

to BSAIII
This MyWirelessTV seems like patent infringement on Slingbox technology.
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
·Verizon FiOS
(Software) pfSense
Panasonic KX-TGP600

mikev

Premium Member

said by dewdude:

This MyWirelessTV seems like patent infringement on Slingbox technology.

Not quite. Slingbox is sending everything via IP. Whether on your home network via WiFi, or over the internet to a cell phone or web browser, Slingbox sends its data in IP packets. This Actiontec setup simply uses a wireless transmitter and receiver, to send HDMI (digital audio and video) and IR signals. It has nothing to do with WiFi or networking, just a transmitter and receiver.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to dewdude

Premium Member

to dewdude
No, that's not the same thing at all. Mikev mentions the differences. But these wireless transmission type devices probably pre-date Sling, and MyWirelessTV is only one of many such devices out there.