jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

2 recommendations

jmn1207

Premium Member

Just Say No

I think Kate Cox does a wonderful job of outlining some of the key reasons to worry about the Comcast-TWC merger.

»consumerist.com/2014/04/ ··· rmation/
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

If this merger doesn't go through, I'll lose faith in my conviction regarding the absolute corruption of the current regulatory system.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to jmn1207

to jmn1207
I say YES!

People arguing against this deal are mixing corporate business practices with customer experiences and rights.

1. Comcast is a very successful company, period. They are a very aggressive company that want to expand and make money, that is what successful companies do. If you want to argue and control this practice then put restrictions or conditions in the deal.

2. Comcast subscribers have enjoyed the fastest internet around delivering blazing fast speeds while the immediate competition only have offered DSL and VDSL limited speeds... that is a fact. The real competition is coming from other aggressive companies like google and local ISPs.

The argument that Comcast and TWC customers are unhappy is flawed and questionable. Nobody has ever asked me if I'm happy. Where do these rating companies get their data from, the competition? If subscribers are so unhappy why are they still Comcast or TWC subscribers? Why don't they switch to Uverse VDSL or Verizon DSL? It doesn't make any sense.
Albert71292
join:2004-10-31
West Monroe, LA

Albert71292 to jmn1207

to jmn1207
I live in a Comcast area, but so far haven't used them for anything. Dropped Dish Network a few years ago, not because of customer service, but got tired of paying for 250 channels showing nothing but "reality show" crap. Still getting my internet from a local DSL provider, since it's not capped like Comcast is.

If this deal goes through, Comcast will probably start capping Time Warner customers monthly usage, which, the way I understand, is currently not capped.

vpoko
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

4 recommendations

vpoko to etaadmin

Premium Member

to etaadmin
Because Comcast is a monopoly in most areas where they operate when it comes to FAST internet service. DSL is technically broadband, but much slower than cable. What you're doing is a slightly less extreme version of asking why unhappy customers don't switch to dial-up.
cahiatt
Premium Member
join:2001-03-21
Smyrna, GA

1 recommendation

cahiatt

Premium Member

Holy crap! 300 million service calls a year?

But doesn't Comcast only have about 22 million customers? So that comes out to about 13 service calls per customer, per year? That's a shitload of calls.....

Is the real story here that they suck at customer service?
etaadmin
united state

etaadmin to vpoko

to vpoko
Exactly one of my points... that is not Comcas't fault, it is the other company's fault.

Didn't at&t got the go ahead for the Bellsouth merger because they promised to expand to rural areas and other stuff?
»news.cnet.com/FCC-approv ··· 369.html

Why is that Verizon's FiOS and Uverse gigapower is not in more markets? Is that Comcast's fault?

On the contrary the Comcast/TWC merger will stir up competition and make things better for consumers.

»consumerist.com/2014/03/ ··· service/
Expand your moderator at work
etaadmin

etaadmin to Albert71292

to Albert71292

Re: Just Say No

said by Albert71292:

If this deal goes through, Comcast will probably start capping Time Warner customers monthly usage, which, the way I understand, is currently not capped.

Probably, but we (TWC subs) most likely will get faster internet speeds and much better TV hardware than we are getting now.

So it is a trade off between CAPS or faster internet speeds, newer TV hardware and a much better TV UI.

Zero5
join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

Zero5 to etaadmin

to etaadmin
said by etaadmin:

Why is that Verizon's FiOS and Uverse gigapower is not in more markets? Is that Comcast's fault?

On the contrary the Comcast/TWC merger will stir up competition and make things better for consumers.

»consumerist.com/2014/03/ ··· service/

The merger will make things better for consumers because Verizon and AT&T will expand into more markets? If that's the basis of your point then it's definitely not accurate. IF it stirs up competition it'll only happen in areas where FiOS and U-Verse currently exist because the investments for VZ/ATT are already there.

It will certainly not make them want to expand into additional markets if it means they have to spend more money to compete after the TWC & CC merger.

jmn1207
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to etaadmin

Premium Member

to etaadmin
Verizon has essentially pulled out of the wire-line business as much as they can, for now. They have made some agreement with Comcast where they apparently promised not to compete with each other.

»www.comcast.com/verizon- ··· ess.html

Unless this situation changes, don't expect toes to be stepped on.
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

dfxmatt to etaadmin

to etaadmin
This is hilarious, and wrong.

1: They don't expand. If they did, they'd be expanding service at rates people can afford. Remind me when that happens, because 10 years from now we'll have the competitive speeds we need today. When we do? Well the ball will have moved, because maybe people will figure out that comcast refuses to let you have a server under any circumstances using the consumer connection. Which is hilarious if you realize what that means.

2: We don't have the fastest internet, either. Not even close. What's hilarious is their deal with verizon to basically refuse to compete, as well. Where are speed increases going to come from if they have no competition? Who's going to make them do so?
This matters because: competition creates more business for comcast, as well. It's not a matter of "holding people accountable" as much as it is "benefitting the company in question and consumers equally". Everyone loses from a lack of competition, including the company monopolizing on said lack of competition. It's an economical loss.

From a factual perspective (and not your emotional hilarity) our speeds have continued to lag behind the entire world for internet access - continually. Our access to internet services also lags. see: hosting a server at home, starting a business so you can then afford their business service, etc. Did I mention how hilariously crappy their business connection speeds are? AT&T and Verizon do miles and away better for business customers (OC48, etc) than Comcast can ever provide or even will. Their SLA's are untenable.

Why would anyone switch to uverse or verizon from comcast? That's like telling someone who drives a car that a bicycle is a comparable service. While I hate comcast, there's so little competition that their closest "competitors" are easily a magnitude worse.
sevenbelow
join:2014-03-21
Roslyn Heights, NY

sevenbelow to etaadmin

to etaadmin
As A Time Warner Cable Business Class Master Agent in NYC, their service and customer service is the worst. Tech support is excellent however. NYC is so messed up that support is not able to schedule trouble calls for the same day or more than 48 hours out. If I call on Friday and ask for a monday appointment, I am told they are not able to schedule that far out in NYC. The reason customers tolerate it is there are not any other options if FIOS is not in the building other than ordering an EOC or T-1 or DSL, which although can be more reliable, the cost is too high.

Half the time when their are area issues, the repairs are delayed since the buildings where their equipment is located won't give them access. They need to clear it with the building super and must schedule ahead of time.

vpoko
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

vpoko to etaadmin

Premium Member

to etaadmin
You can only have so many last-mile providers. Poles and underground conduits are not an unlimited resource. Also, Comcast has always been in the business of lobbying for regulatory hurdles against additional providers like municipal fiber projects. Additionally, there's an issue of capital, which is why Verizon won't just wire up the whole country. But just because the solutions are slow doesn't mean we should add to the problem.
etaadmin
united state

etaadmin to Zero5

to Zero5
said by Zero5:

It will certainly not make them want to expand into additional markets if it means they have to spend more money to compete after the TWC & CC merger.

And how will blocking the TWC/CC merger will make at&t verizon expand in more markets or make more competition?

The TWC/CC merger is the least of both evils... the best outcome considering the current situation.

I for one don't see CC servicing my area, TWC is my local cable ISP. I also don't have verizon as an option as at&t is the company servicing my area.

For me as a consumer and current TWC subscriber this deal looks good to me.
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

dfxmatt to etaadmin

to etaadmin
That's not a trade you should have to be making. That's a choice between a loss and a loss.

jmn1207
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to etaadmin

Premium Member

to etaadmin
My only option for other service is to move. If Comcast takes over TWC, that is one region I am unable to move into where I could expect change.

WTB100MB
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, TX

3 recommendations

WTB100MB to etaadmin

to etaadmin
I vehemently disagree with your contention that TWC customers are NOT unhappy.

I also live in Dallas as you do, with only 2 options for broadband: TimeWarnerCable and AT&T uverse/dsl.

TWC enjoys a virtual monopoly, since AT&T has no real desire to compete. AT&T doesn't invest in infrastructure, and it shows.

I contacted AT&T recently, and the MAXIMUM useless-verse speed that they offer at my address: 784K! I told the rep, contact me when you have a competitive offering... something better than the dialup speeds you're currently attempting to sell.

I am paying a premium price for my TWC connection ($75/month for a paltry 15 mb connection... I enjoy a better data connection over my wireless phone).

For the past 3 weeks in row, my area of Dallas has received heavy rains on Sunday. My "highly touted" TWC cable internet has been down... 3 Sundays in a row!

I have called in, each time telling them that I am paying a premium price and I expect premium service... not performance akin to a satellite connection that goes down every time it rains.

Week 1: After the usual Micky Mouse routines of unplugging my router and checking the line quality, they again agree that they have issue and make an appointment on Monday.

TWC rolls a truck, I have to take a day off, and they check all of my inside wiring, their router and equipment. No trouble found. Tech agrees that they must have a leak at some point upstream in their outside plant, as MOST OF MY NEIGHBORHOOD WAS DOWN. I am advised to keep calling in when I have an issue.

Week 2: After the usual Micky Mouse routines of unplugging my router and checking the line quality again, they again agree that they have issues. This time, they route my call to another desk that handles their infrastructure. The incredulous rep takes my previous ticket number and assures me they will look into it, but said they are unlikely to resolve it.

Week 3 (last night): Another hard rain on Easter Sunday, and once again, my expensive connection is down like a satellite feed. I use my cell phone as a hot spot, since I have a steady 20 Mb LTE connection at my house.

Once again, better than either offering from TWC's or AT&T's wired connection.

I want a company with a competitive offering... not a mediocre solution with the company who paid their lobbyists the most money to our Corporate Congress for a virtual monopoly.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to etaadmin

Premium Member

to etaadmin
said by etaadmin:

said by Zero5:

And how will blocking the TWC/CC merger will make at&t verizon expand in more markets or make more competition?

The TWC/CC merger is the least of both evils... the best outcome considering the current situation.

I for one don't see CC servicing my area, TWC is my local cable ISP. I also don't have verizon as an option as at&t is the company servicing my area.

For me as a consumer and current TWC subscriber this deal looks good to me.

Exactly.

The alternative is that we get sold to Charter, who does not have as much capital to invest in upgrades, and historically has not been as aggressive about rolling out new technology.

The LA market was too much for TWC to take on when they picked up systems from Comcast and Adelphia, and we have suffered for years as a result. Comcast, on the other hand, had no problem picking up systems from AT&T Broadband and modernizing them. I don't want to suffer the same fate under another small-time-provider again.

Plus One
@comcast.net

Plus One to etaadmin

Anon

to etaadmin
said by etaadmin:

I say YES!

People arguing against this deal are mixing corporate business practices with customer experiences and rights.

1. Comcast is a very successful company, period. They are a very aggressive company that want to expand and make money, that is what successful companies do. If you want to argue and control this practice then put restrictions or conditions in the deal.

2. Comcast subscribers have enjoyed the fastest internet around delivering blazing fast speeds while the immediate competition only have offered DSL and VDSL limited speeds... that is a fact. The real competition is coming from other aggressive companies like google and local ISPs.

The argument that Comcast and TWC customers are unhappy is flawed and questionable. Nobody has ever asked me if I'm happy. Where do these rating companies get their data from, the competition? If subscribers are so unhappy why are they still Comcast or TWC subscribers? Why don't they switch to Uverse VDSL or Verizon DSL? It doesn't make any sense.

+1
I've always had good experiences with cust svc.
etaadmin
united state

etaadmin to WTB100MB

to WTB100MB
First, I have no idea why you are paying that amount for that speed, I'm paying about the same for 75/5 Mbps.

Secondly, you having problems doesn't mean everybody are having problems and that everybody should be complaining. We had a similar problem once when a drunk driver hit some TWC equipment, the service never went out but the damage was considerable. I and other neighbors called TWC and they sent a crew to repair the damage. It took two days not weeks as you mentioned.

YMMV maybe I'm lucky or maybe you are unlucky but my experience with TWC has been positive so far.
etaadmin

etaadmin to dfxmatt

to dfxmatt
Funny I don't see it that way.

1. TWC doesn't want to be in this business, they've made it perfectly clear.

2. If a CC deal gets approved as it is I will loose my uncapped status but I will gain in internet speeds I currently have 75/5 and CC can offer me +300/20 more in the future.

3. The old TV hardware that I have with TWC will be replaced with better CC hardware.

4. I'm paying more... a lot more to TWC for the same level of service that CC offers.

5. If restrictions are introduced as a condition then we'll be better off
»www.wired.com/2014/04/7- ··· -merger/

Zero5
join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

Zero5 to etaadmin

to etaadmin
said by etaadmin:

said by Zero5:

It won't. Blocking the merger isn't going to suddenly make VZ and ATT more interested in expanding into new markets. And letting the merger go through won't make it more attractive for them to want to expand either. VZ and ATT already have deployed in the markets that they're interested in (cherry-picking at its finest) and nothing is going to make them want to expand unless those unserved areas suddenly become more financially attractive.

A bigger more competitive Comcast/TWC incumbent is the exact opposite of what's going to encourage VZ or ATT to expand into their territory (besides those areas being financially attractive). ATT & VZ prefer small town providers that they can come in and squash because it's the least amount of $$$ they have to spend. They'll only serve an area that has a bigger competitor because the ROI is still worth it in the end.

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss to WTB100MB

Premium Member

to WTB100MB
said by WTB100MB:

I vehemently disagree with your contention that TWC customers are NOT unhappy.

I also live in Dallas as you do, with only 2 options for broadband: TimeWarnerCable and AT&T uverse/dsl.

TWC enjoys a virtual monopoly, since AT&T has no real desire to compete. AT&T doesn't invest in infrastructure, and it shows.

I contacted AT&T recently, and the MAXIMUM useless-verse speed that they offer at my address: 784K! I told the rep, contact me when you have a competitive offering... something better than the dialup speeds you're currently attempting to sell.

I am paying a premium price for my TWC connection ($75/month for a paltry 15 mb connection... I enjoy a better data connection over my wireless phone).

For the past 3 weeks in row, my area of Dallas has received heavy rains on Sunday. My "highly touted" TWC cable internet has been down... 3 Sundays in a row!

I have called in, each time telling them that I am paying a premium price and I expect premium service... not performance akin to a satellite connection that goes down every time it rains.

Week 1: After the usual Micky Mouse routines of unplugging my router and checking the line quality, they again agree that they have issue and make an appointment on Monday.

TWC rolls a truck, I have to take a day off, and they check all of my inside wiring, their router and equipment. No trouble found. Tech agrees that they must have a leak at some point upstream in their outside plant, as MOST OF MY NEIGHBORHOOD WAS DOWN. I am advised to keep calling in when I have an issue.

Week 2: After the usual Micky Mouse routines of unplugging my router and checking the line quality again, they again agree that they have issues. This time, they route my call to another desk that handles their infrastructure. The incredulous rep takes my previous ticket number and assures me they will look into it, but said they are unlikely to resolve it.

Week 3 (last night): Another hard rain on Easter Sunday, and once again, my expensive connection is down like a satellite feed. I use my cell phone as a hot spot, since I have a steady 20 Mb LTE connection at my house.

Once again, better than either offering from TWC's or AT&T's wired connection.

I want a company with a competitive offering... not a mediocre solution with the company who paid their lobbyists the most money to our Corporate Congress for a virtual monopoly.

Yep that's how they act when they know your zip code has no other choices for ISP.

They just suck far more than Comcast, this deal needs to happen to fix the broadband market.

bmccoy
join:2013-03-18
Port Orchard, WA

bmccoy to etaadmin

to etaadmin
Who do you work for? Comcast?

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss

Premium Member

said by bmccoy:

Who do you work for? Comcast?

Guess I work for Comcast to because I agree that the deal should happen. TWC sucks far more than Comcast.
CyberGuy
join:2006-08-21
Colbert, WA

CyberGuy to cahiatt

to cahiatt
said by cahiatt:

Holy crap! 300 million service calls a year?

But doesn't Comcast only have about 22 million customers? So that comes out to about 13 service calls per customer, per year? That's a shitload of calls.....

Headline should read:
"Comcast: 99% of Customers Love Our Customer Service...(phone number)"
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes to jmn1207

to jmn1207
right comcast .... not you lying bastard

Gork
Ou812ic
join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

1 recommendation

Gork to cahiatt

to cahiatt
said by cahiatt:

that comes out to about 13 service calls per customer, per year

Wow - very well put. Me? I'm just happy to finally be a member of the 1% club. Hopefully my bank account will soon catch up.
Core0000
Premium Member
join:2008-05-04
Somerset, KY

Core0000 to WTB100MB

Premium Member

to WTB100MB
I called Time Warner customer service, on 5/14/2013... Spoke with a Tier 3 agent trying to get my connection fixed. She's like, don't worry, we'll have someone fix this.

Lied through her teeth.

Well I was so busy with work I said piss on it.. and gave up for awhile.

I call customer support again, get a tech over at my house on 1-18-2014....
He calls customer service. We sit on hold for about.. 30-40 minutes.. finally get ahold of tier 3. We test my connection on his little mini laptop.. same results..as on my pc (not getting the premium speeds I am paying for) Long story short.. I get a "Ticket" associated with my account, but no number.. and she says, just "Keep testing your connection" because I asked for an ETA on a fix..

Long story short, been testing my connection since that tech visit.. and no fix.

They have no flipping competition so they don't give a flyingfuck. They just take the money and run. It's damn well garbage is what it is.

I don't care if they don't have competition or what. Just deliver the service your selling though, and take it serious when a customer has a legit issue.

The problem by the way, from what the tech explained to me, was not on my end, but out on the line somewhere.. basically (I wish I had a detailed laymens diagram how the internet works) he was saying theirs congestion somewhere.. is why I am not pulling the speeds I'm supposed to.

I haven't called customer service again, because its like "What's the point?"
« *sigh*
page: 1 · 2 · next