Search similar:

uniqs
kozarrat
join:2009-12-10
Brooklyn, NY

kozarrat

Getting FIOS internet+TV for the first time

Switching from TWC.
It does look like Verizon is forcing me to either rent a router for $4.99/month or buy one for $99.99.

1. Can I start with a rental and then buy my own on (either actiontec or a decent 3rd party) and then return the rental router back to eliminate the monthly fee?

2. I'll be either getting the 50/25 or 75/35. If I'm buying my own router, does it matter if I get the latest Model #: MI424WR (GigE) (is that the Rev I?) or can buy the previous revision (what is the previous rev?) and still utilize the max bandwidth? I already own couple newish wireless routers so I don't need the verizon router's wifi to be fancy. I just need the LAN/WAN port to be fast enough.
cuda74360
join:2008-11-08
Halethorpe, MD

1 recommendation

cuda74360

I would get at least a Rev E. Any earlier than that and you'll have a smaller NAT table, and no IPv6 support.
said by
kozarrat See Profile :

Switching from TWC.
It does look like Verizon is forcing me to either rent a router for $4.99/month or buy one for $99.99.

1. Can I start with a rental and then buy my own on (either actiontec or a decent 3rd party) and then return the rental router back to eliminate the monthly fee?

2. I'll be either getting the 50/25 or 75/35. If I'm buying my own router, does it matter if I get the latest Model #: MI424WR (GigE) (is that the Rev I?) or can buy the previous revision (what is the previous rev?) and still utilize the max bandwidth? I already own couple newish wireless routers so I don't need the verizon router's wifi to be fancy. I just need the LAN/WAN port to be fast enough.

kozarrat
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

kozarrat

said by cuda74360:

I would get at least a Rev E. Any earlier than that and you'll have a smaller NAT table, and no IPv6 support.

So once I buy my own router can I just return the one I'm renting and stop paying the montly rental fee then on?

Looks like I can get a Rev E or F relatively cheap. Is there a revision timeline for this router? I couldn't find anything that lists the features of each, release dates etc.

FIOS 500100
join:2014-04-21
USA

FIOS 500100

Try looking here for router specs: »www.actiontec.com/prod_page.php

Here's some more good links for your question:

»Verizon FiOS FAQ

»www.fiosfaq.com/index.ph ··· catnum=4

Also, I'm switching from TWC to FIOS 500/100 and currently not very happy with their speed consistency. I'm having my 4th Technician to come out today and fix the "issue."
kozarrat
Brooklyn, NY

kozarrat

said by FIOS 500100:

Also, I'm switching from TWC to FIOS 500/100 and currently not very happy with their speed consistency. I'm having my 4th Technician to come out today and fix the "issue."

I've had such a terrible experience with TWC in the past years that I am willing to take the gamble.

FIOS 500100
USA

FIOS 500100

Yes, TWC does royally suck, but beware if you are going to pay more for higher speeds for FIOS, you may not get what you're paying for. I'm still in my 30 day cancellation period, and I'm still undecided. Also, check out the FAQs regarding switching routers. There's some good info there. Best of luck.
cuda74360
join:2008-11-08
Halethorpe, MD

cuda74360 to kozarrat

to kozarrat
said by kozarrat:

said by cuda74360:

So once I buy my own router can I just return the one I'm renting and stop paying the montly rental fee then on?

Looks like I can get a Rev E or F relatively cheap. Is there a revision timeline for this router? I couldn't find anything that lists the features of each, release dates etc.

I attached a screen shot from Verizon's website that shows a timeline for the routers.

The router rental is new to FiOS, and only new customers are affected by it (for now.) So I'm not sure what would happen if you agree to rent a router and then buy your own.

The signup pages shows that you can either rent a router, buy their router, or provide your own Verizon branded router. They list the Actiontec MI424WR or Westell 9100EM as being compatible... but also state that you cannot complete the order online if you already have one of these routers.

Knowing Verizon, and having experienced their billing system, I would recommend getting your router first and then placing the order.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to kozarrat

MVM

to kozarrat
Be aware that if you go with a third party router, you will still need an Actiontec to provide a MOCA LAN bridge for the STBs.
kozarrat
Brooklyn, NY

kozarrat

said by More Fiber:

Be aware that if you go with a third party router, you will still need an Actiontec to provide a MOCA LAN bridge for the STBs.

I think I'll be going with Actiontec to avoid any headaches.
Now I just need to find out if I can start with a rental and then return it later on.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

The rental fee is quite new. I don't recall seeing any posts of someone that has done this. I would certainly think you should be able to do so.
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
·Verizon FiOS
(Software) pfSense
Panasonic KX-TGP600

mikev to kozarrat

Premium Member

to kozarrat
Just a note that your MoCA LAN bridge doesn't NEED to be a Verizon Actiontec Router. It could also be an Actiontec ECB2200 or ECB2500. Those both are simply MoCA bridges that will work just fine. They have an Ethernet port, that you hook to your choice of router's LAN connection, then a coax connection that you hook to your coax outlet. There are other MoCA Bridge devices out there too. Just make sure it supports at least MoCA 1.1, not 1.0.

Before I gave up on paying the fees for Verizon's STBs and switched to CableCard, I happily used an ECB2200 with both an Apple router and an Asus router. My STBs had no problems with guide data and VoD.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to FIOS 500100

to FIOS 500100
said by FIOS 500100:

Yes, TWC does royally suck, but beware if you are going to pay more for higher speeds for FIOS, you may not get what you're paying for. I'm still in my 30 day cancellation period, and I'm still undecided. Also, check out the FAQs regarding switching routers. There's some good info there. Best of luck.

You complaining about wifi speeds ? Just wondering.

FIOS 500100
USA

FIOS 500100

Not for wifi. I know wifi is no guarantee for speeds promised which is why I'm hooked up landline. Just installed new ONT model and getting over 500/100 for now...
kozarrat
Brooklyn, NY

kozarrat to mikev

to mikev
said by mikev:

Just a note that your MoCA LAN bridge doesn't NEED to be a Verizon Actiontec Router. It could also be an Actiontec ECB2200 or ECB2500. Those both are simply MoCA bridges that will work just fine. They have an Ethernet port, that you hook to your choice of router's LAN connection, then a coax connection that you hook to your coax outlet. There are other MoCA Bridge devices out there too. Just make sure it supports at least MoCA 1.1, not 1.0.

Before I gave up on paying the fees for Verizon's STBs and switched to CableCard, I happily used an ECB2200 with both an Apple router and an Asus router. My STBs had no problems with guide data and VoD.

Would that be config 3 on this page: »Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations
kozarrat

kozarrat to mikev

to mikev
said by mikev:

And just to make sure, based on what you wrote the network config will be:
1. ONT
2. Actiontec MoCA LAN bridge connected to the ONT (via coax?).
3a. Wireless router connected to MoCA LAN bridge via ethernet
3b. FIOS tv box? connected to MoCA LAN bridge via coax

Did I get that right? I'm guessing the MoCA LAN bridges out do not have gigabit ethernet ports yet but shouldn't be a problem with 50/25 internet.
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
·Verizon FiOS
(Software) pfSense
Panasonic KX-TGP600

2 edits

mikev to kozarrat

Premium Member

to kozarrat
said by kozarrat:

Would that be config 3 on this page:

It would be config 9 on that page. 9 is pretty much the same as 7, except that instead of configuring the Actiontec router as a bridge, it's being replaced by a MoCA bridge.
said by kozarrat:

1. ONT

Did I get that right? I'm guessing the MoCA LAN bridges out do not have gigabit ethernet ports yet but shouldn't be a problem with 50/25 internet.

1. ONT
2. Your router of choice WAN port connected to ONT by Ethernet
3. MoCA LAN Bridge connected to a LAN port on router, ONT via Coax
4. FiOS Set Top Box, connected to ONT via Coax

Coming from the ONT, your coax should go into a splitter feeding only as many locations as necessary. One should be where your router/MoCA LAN bridge is, plus one for each STB you're using.

You'll also want Verizon to provision your internet connection on Ethernet, not Coax. If possible, have a Cat5/6 connection from wherever the ONT will be placed to wherever you want your router so that the Verizon tech will be more inclined to have it set up that way.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to kozarrat

MVM

to kozarrat
said by kozarrat:

1. ONT

No. You can't use a MOCA LAN bridge to the ONT. There are two flavors of MOCA. MOCA LAN and MOCA WAN. They are on different frequencies. There are a couple of MOCA bridges that do support MOCA WAN. See the following FAQ:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What is a MOCA Bridge?
Your best best is to get your ONT provisioned for ethernet. That way, you can connect your router directly to the ONT. You would still need a MOCA LAN bridge (Actiontec or ECB2500) for the STBs.
said by kozarrat:

I'm guessing the MoCA LAN bridges out do not have gigabit ethernet ports

Correct.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to kozarrat

Premium Member

to kozarrat
Last week I switched back to VZ from TWC and I bought my router from VZ and I got Rev I.

FIOS 500100
USA

FIOS 500100

That's the latest one I got as well - Actiontec MI424WR- Rev I. This model only offers up to 300mbps for wireless N speeds.
»www.actiontec.com/41.html

Oh well, not that I would ever get near that speed going wireless anyways, even though I'm on the 500/100 plan.