Search similar:

uniqs
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

"Upgraded"

I had the 15/1 EarthLink package. It was 41.95 a month then I saw it went to $48 and change a month. I just called TimeWarner and they said there are no EL upgrades from the 15/1 package but they could give me 50/5 for $76.46 for a year ($6.46 of that is the modem rental fee). The guy first tried telling me my modem was out of date and wouldn't support 50/5, but I corrected him and told him it's a DOCSIS 3 modem. Then the conversation went like this:
TW: If you get the 50/5 package, you get the full 5 mbps upload speed, whereas if you get the 30/5 package, you only get up to 5 mbps upload speed.
Me: That's not true, it's 5mbps upload either way.
TW: You have to pay more money to get the 5 mbps upload with the 50/5 package.
Me: No I don't, the modem is still provisioned for 5 mbps upload on either package.
TW: You're right.

---
So while he was fiddling with my 50/5 package, I did a speed test and my IP was still an EarthLink IP address and I was getting 20/2. He told me to reboot modem, router, computer, etc. and now I get 5/2 with a TW IP...

He told me in a year my price would likely be "automatically changed" to something similar to the $76.46 but he refused to give me a figure. He said if it goes up I can call again and "re-negotiate" the price....

What gives?

Also, is $76.46 a good deal for 50/5?

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob

Premium Member

So you do not own your own modem ? Why not ? Paying $6.46 a month for a modem fee to TW is just not smart.

But, I suppose that $70 is not a bad price to pay for 50/5 service since I believe that 30/5 is $74.95 ?

Also, IF the new speed upgrades go through, supposedly the 15/1 level is going to be upgraded to 50/5 from what I hear. All of this is pending of course because of the Comcast deal that is probably going to happen.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

2 edits

fartness (banned)

I was paying $41.95 a month for 15/1 and that included free modem rental. They just bumped the price to $48 and change a few days ago for my last bill, and it still included free modem rental. This is because I asked to be on their EarthLink package. The guy also claimed that I will be upgraded for free from 50/5 to 100/5 whenever that package becomes available.

I am getting 20/2 right now. I think the moron gave me the wrong config file. I will call (their Tier I) and ask for Tier III right off the bat. Screw asking for Tier II.

EDIT: Yep, 20/2 config file. OTP now with support.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7

said by fartness:

I am getting 20/2 right now. I think the moron gave me the wrong config file. I will call (their Tier I) and ask for Tier III right off the bat. Screw asking for Tier II.

EDIT: Yep, 20/2 config file. OTP now with support.

What modem do you have? For 30/5 or 50/5 you need a Docsis 3.0 modem.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

I have Ambit U10C018. I was told when I got it that it was DOCSIS 3. A google search says 2.0...

They're downgrading me back to 15/1 and refusing me EL, but it's the same price. I will order a DOCSIS 3.0 modem (which SB is good?) and then upgrade.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

About how long have you had that Ambit modem?
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

~3.5 years to 4 years

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

Ken1943 to fartness

to fartness
Wait to see the price if Comcast gets them.
Matt7
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to fartness

to fartness
said by fartness:

I have Ambit U10C018. I was told when I got it that it was DOCSIS 3. A google search says 2.0...

Looking at the specs on that it's only a Docsis 2.0 modem so that's why you only got 20/2 speeds profile.

Your best bet for modem would be a SB6141 or a Zoom 5341J both seem to be quite popular here on these forums.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to Ken1943

to Ken1943
said by Ken1943:

Wait to see the price if Comcast gets them.

Does Comcast charge a modem rental fee?
Matt7
Columbus, OH

Matt7

said by fartness:

Does Comcast charge a modem rental fee?

Yep. Almost all providers do now days.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
DOCSIS 3 has been in Rochester since April 2011. Which is before that time frame. I highly doubt you were told that was a D3 modem I had that same modem in 2006. Do you have anything to say about the 'moron' that 'sent you the wrong config file' or the CSR that rightfully told you your modem was out of date because you were wrong and it is not a D3 modem?
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Definately was told it was a D3 modem since I inquired about future upgrades, and was given the modem at the time. DOCSIS 3 has been around longer than that, at least in my part of Rochester. When I said I have a DOCSIS 3 modem, he then told me to wait one second, and then agreed I had a DOCSIS 3 modem.
fartness

fartness (banned)

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 25390001 $85.99... anywhere cheaper?

EDIT: The tech said this modem is ok also... is it?
»www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Mot ··· title_ce

I was planning on upgrading my 802.11g wireless network anyway, so that would be an even better idea ($219.99).
Matt7
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to fartness

to fartness
Time Warner supported modems and what tiers:

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· dem.html
Matt7

Matt7 to fartness

to fartness
said by fartness:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 25390001 $85.99... anywhere cheaper?

EDIT: The tech said this modem is ok also... is it?
»www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Mot ··· title_ce

The SBG6782AC would be a good choice if you wanted a modem / router combo.

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

Ken1943 to fartness

to fartness
You think they give away something away for free ?

The only reason I am here is that my Son in NYC was asking me some questions about a router. I told him to wait to see what was installed and then think about buying something.

THIS CRAP HAS TO BE REGULATED AGAIN.
Expand your moderator at work
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Re: "Upgraded"

Does anyone know if the 6782 can have its firmware upgraded the same way I'd upgrade the firmware on a standalone wireless router? The reviews are mostly from people who've had it for a short time, so I don't know what the long term reliability would be like. I was going to spend $200 on a new wireless router anyway.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

1 recommendation

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by fartness:

Does anyone know if the 6782 can have its firmware upgraded the same way I'd upgrade the firmware on a standalone wireless router?

No you can not, the firmware is controlled by your provider.

Hob
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Would TW likely be updating the firmware in the future for bug fixes, etc.?

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

you should get a separate router because if the wireless fails the modem will also failed. I recommend you to wait for the Motorola sb 6183 because the Maxx upgrade will come to your area soon.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

1 edit

hobgoblin to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
said by fartness:

Would TW likely be updating the firmware in the future for bug fixes, etc.?

They will upgrade Firmware when required to fix issues that create issues with the equipment installed on their network.

Hob
hobgoblin

hobgoblin to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

I recommend you to wait for the Motorola sb 6183 because the Maxx upgrade will come to your area soon.

You have a date for the upgrade in Rochester?

Hob

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

No, I know it will be coming soon

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by OpTiC :

Actually you should have said, I have no idea. There will not be a Maxx upgrade in Rochester "Soon"

Hob
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

said by hobgoblin:

said by OpTiC :

Actually you should have said, I have no idea. There will not be a Maxx upgrade in Rochester "Soon"

Hob

The salesperson on the phone told me I will get my 50/5 upgraded to 100 mbps download once it's available! ...but this isn't my first rodeo...

Pegasus
Premium Member
join:2008-01-04
united state

Pegasus to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

the Maxx upgrade will come to your area soon.

MAXX coming to Rochester NY? LOL now that's a knee slapper. I would be shocked if Rochester wasn't a divested part of comcrap's deal if it goes through.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by Pegasus:

MAXX coming to Rochester NY? LOL now that's a knee slapper. I would be shocked if Rochester wasn't a divested part of comcrap's deal if it goes through.

Why would you think that? Buffalo, Rochester, Albany and CNY is a pretty big cluster that is no where near any Charter territory.

Hob
Expand your moderator at work