(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6183
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

applerule

Premium Member

[OTA] Need Antenna Recommendation

All,

I'm looking to cut off my Direct TV and will be going to an antenna/OTA. I'd like to receive the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX). I own my home and I live out in the sticks, so I can place an antenna outside and the antenna can be as big as necessary. I plan on putting the antenna on the roof and would like to reuse what I can of the Direct TV dish mount. I plan on reusing the coax from the DTV system (I have the single wire system so it should be as easy as replacing the splitter).

I punched in my coordinates and this is what I was given. Any good recommendations or suggestions for antennas?

»www.tvfool.com/?option=c ··· 068a5f13

Thanks!
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

»www.dennysantennaservice.com/

»dennysantennaservice.com ··· tml.html

»dennysantennaservice.com ··· 550.html

»dennysantennaservice.com ··· nna.html

»dennysantennaservice.com ··· ion.html

»dennysantennaservice.com ··· age.html
You may need to do a bi-directional set up to get the most channels or the best reception of the channels you do want to see.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to applerule

Premium Member

to applerule
BTW you might consider this
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 15345014

»www.antennasdirect.com/s ··· nna.html

»www.antennasdirect.com/s ··· kit.html

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl to applerule

MVM

to applerule
I have a ChannelMaster 3010 antenna up in my attic that is connected to my living room 50 inch HDTV. That works well.

»www.homedepot.com/p/Chan ··· 03763041

I also have a thin antenna on one of my HDTVs that I bought from Home Depot. It also works very well. It is mounted on an inside wall behind the TV. The wall is on the side of the house which faces the OKC antenna farm up on the north side of OKC.

»www.homedepot.com/p/Wine ··· 03972854

In my case I am 25 to 30 miles or so south of the antenna farm for the major TV stations in OKC.

FWIW the ChannelMaster 3010 is used as a backup source for local stations in case I lose my DIRECTV satellite TV feed.
applerule
Premium Member
join:2012-12-23
Northeast TN
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6183
Asus RT-N66

applerule

Premium Member

Thanks all for the great links. I'm leaning toward »www.antennasdirect.com/s ··· nna.html or »dennysantennaservice.com ··· tml.html

Anyone have either one of these antennas?

I'm thinking I may be OK with the stacker since my plan is to point south. The majority of the channels are in that direction, and that would get me every major network. All of them would be within an 80 degree range so I'm hoping the stacker will work in this situation.

I would be getting the stacker, running it into a pre-amp, with a 5 way splitter.

The denny's site is a great informational site btw, really appreciate that link.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

1 edit

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by applerule:

I would be getting the stacker, running it into a pre-amp, with a 5 way splitter.

Go wih the pre-amp as close to the antenna's output as possible. But instead of using a 5 way splitter, consider:

»www.solidsignal.com/pvie ··· ers&sku=

My parents live in Rutherford County and they use this guy:
»www.amazon.com/Outdoor-A ··· MVRCSI/2

And for the $29 bucks my Dad spent on it, it works great (I thought for sure it was going to be a piece of crap). They are able to receive about 55 channels. They get all of the GSP and CLT market channels.

With the exception of WLOS. That one, that's always been a hard station for them to receive. They'll get tons of atmospheric ducting and get Raleigh, Greensboro and Columbia. But get WLOS? Pffbt. I've tweaked their system with that antenna (and added a distribution amp) and it comes in about 95% of the time now.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to applerule

Premium Member

to applerule
don't forget to put a terminator on any unused splitter ports.

the amp I linked uses a power injector so the amp itself is right at the antenna then you can put the injector somewhere that you could put on a UPS, of course IIRC you don't want to split in-between the amp and the power injector as that'd have DC voltage on it.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

don't forget to put a terminator on any unused splitter ports.

the amp I linked uses a power injector so the amp itself is right at the antenna then you can put the injector somewhere that you could put on a UPS, of course IIRC you don't want to split in-between the amp and the power injector as that'd have DC voltage on it.

Definitely use terminators on any open ports!

If you chose to go with a distribution amp, you will have to run a dedicated piece of coax to it to power it so that your other feed could supply power to your preamp.

If you go with a splitter, make sure one of the ports is power passing.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to applerule

Premium Member

to applerule
While the DB8 is nice it is not designed to pick up all the VHF frequencies shown in your TV Fool report. You need an antenna that can cover the entire VHF range. I think the HD-Stacker can do that.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by davidhoffman:

While the DB8 is nice it is not designed to pick up all the VHF frequencies shown in your TV Fool report.

what about the DB8e?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

The same. It is designed for UHF channels 14 through 69.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to davidhoffman

Premium Member

to davidhoffman
said by davidhoffman:

While the DB8 is nice it is not designed to pick up all the VHF frequencies shown in your TV Fool report. You need an antenna that can cover the entire VHF range. I think the HD-Stacker can do that.

I wouldn't recommend OP spend that kinda coin. The antenna @ Amazon will serve OP quite nicely.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Better to over build and under promise than to be inadequate.

Maybe the one off Amazon can do it but if its weak on that one channel that's most important then you've missed
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

Maybe the one off Amazon can do it but if its weak on that one channel that's most important then you've missed

Except I speak from operational experience because my parents receive the exact same channel lineup as OP's.

OP is much closer to all of the GSP transmitters than my parents are.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

That ups the odds in your favor of it working but there's other factors, trees, elevation, if the transmitter towers might have a gap in their antenna setup, objects in the way (hills)

so without going to the OP's home with a given set of equipment its impossible to be 100% sure.

also being closer would mean he needs a wider angle to the reception design of the antenna.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

That ups the odds in your favor of it working but there's other factors, trees, elevation, if the transmitter towers might have a gap in their antenna setup, objects in the way (hills)

so without going to the OP's home with a given set of equipment its impossible to be 100% sure.

also being closer would mean he needs a wider angle to the reception design of the antenna.

The same could be said for any antenna.....