how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nameless

join:2014-02-25
Austin, TX

The thing that makes Aereo different

is, as I understand it, the fact that you set up the antenna somewhere on your own property and the system "broadcasts" the signal received from the antenna ONLY TO YOU. You're taking OTA TV and using an internet/wifi delivery mechanism instead of a coax cable along the baseboards to get the signal from your antenna to whatever TV's you have scattered around your house.

If this is not correct then ok, but if so then there is no "re-broadcast" happening.

ieolus
Support The Clecs

join:2001-06-19
Danbury, CT

Re: The thing that makes Aereo different

That is incorrect.

Aereo has a farm of antenna on their own premise, which you as a customer lease one of, with a connection over the internet.
--
"Speak for yourself "Chadmaster" - lesopp
steevo22

join:2002-10-17
Fullerton, CA

The only question is this: Is Aereo inserting commercials, or do they send you the signal just like they got it?
davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3

With Aereo you get exactly what the OTA broadcast would be, commercials and all.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2
To the best of my knowledge, no... it is the exact signal the antenna receives. Same thing you would receive from an antenna in the same area.

mikesterr

join:2008-04-18
Atco, NJ
While I side with Aereo in that they are not violating the copyright laws as they are written, They do have to change the signal into a format that can be streamed, so technically it is a re broadcast. If it was truly just an antenna that I could connect to then they wouldn't need to transform the signal or do anything to it at all.

I still feel though that the Broadcasters should not get fees, not even from the Cable co. Local broadcasts should Not be included in the channel negotiations they use for all their other channels.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2

Yes, technically its a rebroadcast but it is the customer who is rebroadcasting it to themself, not Aereo.

ieolus
Support The Clecs

join:2001-06-19
Danbury, CT
I'm not sure I get that. When you have an antenna feeding into your TV, there is still a digital to analog conversion of the signal so it can be watched. There is always a "change to the signal".. we don't look at 1s and 0s.
--
"Speak for yourself "Chadmaster" - lesopp