Premium Member
join:2007-01-05
New York, NY

1 recommendation

thecybernerd to amungus

Premium Member

to amungus

Re: Aero is a service provider

They are not like the cableco or sat providers because these companies receive a master feed from the networks where as Aereo has an individual antenna for each and every one of its subscribers that is concurrently watching the broadcasts.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by thecybernerd:

...because these companies receive a master feed from the networks

Not so for local broadcast.
While they can receive it by wire from the LOCAL station, it is "AS Broadcast" not a special version

HuskyC
@comcastbusiness.net

HuskyC to thecybernerd

Anon

to thecybernerd
Bingo! Cable takes one feed and sends it to many (retransmission)
Aereo takes one feed and sends it to one.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx to tshirt

to tshirt
In NYC stations were feeding directly to the cable co's for years. When the WTC came down along with the antenna carrying the OTA signal for all NYC stations, cable never went out. In fact, I was running two TV"s at the time the towers were hit. One was OTA and the other was cable. When the transmitters at WTC went off that OTA TV went blank but I never lost any stations on cable. In fact, for a few days, cable was the only way to get the traditional OTA signals in NYC until they setup transmitters at the old Armstrong tower in Alpine, NJ.

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515 to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

said by thecybernerd:

...because these companies receive a master feed from the networks

Not so for local broadcast.
While they can receive it by wire from the LOCAL station, it is "AS IS Broadcast" not a special version.

I have actually seen cable companies tweak some commercials on the same channels that can be had OTA for free. They never mess with the main content, so whatever movie, TV show, event of newscast are on they are delivered the same way to both OTA and cable customers; however, I have seen cable companies alter some content that come on during commercial breaks. Perhaps, because cable companies are paying retransmission fees, content providers let them tweak advertising content?
tvoldtimer
join:2010-09-16
Shawnee, KS

tvoldtimer to thecybernerd

to thecybernerd
They are using a resource without permission and making money off of it. If they wish to share the revenue, I'm sure the broadcasters would be good with that. Without the broadcaster's signal, Aereo would not have anything to sell.
tvoldtimer

tvoldtimer to tshirt

to tshirt
True. No cableco or satellite co gets a direct feed from a broadcast network. They make an agreement with a network affiliate, not the network directly. Cable or other providers either put up an antenna and pull in a signal, or the TV station gives them a feed from the ASI steam that is feeding their over-the-air transmitter.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

2 recommendations

ke4pym to tvoldtimer

Premium Member

to tvoldtimer
said by tvoldtimer:

They are using a resource without permission and making money off of it. If they wish to share the revenue, I'm sure the broadcasters would be good with that. Without the broadcaster's signal, Aereo would not have anything to sell.

Neither would the broadcasters. Who were given that spectrum for free.

Killa200
Premium Member
join:2005-12-02
TN

Killa200 to Pirate515

Premium Member

to Pirate515
Typical re-transmission contracts have stipulations about when and what commercial slots you can do local ad insertion.

During those slots a cue tone is sent over the signal and if you do local advertising that cue tone is picked up through the receiver your using and triggers the cue contacts at the local ad box. From there the local ad box, usually in line between the receiver and modulator, bypasses the feed and plays local advertising. When it receives the next cue tone it drops off of bypass and back to the receiver feed.

This system is also the same method that The Weather Channel uses to cue in the machine at the headend that handles your local on the 8's.

hyperbole
@comcast.net

hyperbole to thecybernerd

Anon

to thecybernerd

Re: Aereo is a service provider

said by thecybernerd:

They are not like the cableco or sat providers because these companies receive a master feed from the networks where as Aereo has an individual antenna for each and every one of its subscribers that is concurrently watching the broadcasts.

The Chief Justice of USSC summed up what Aereo is doing:

»www.businessweek.com/new ··· -court-1

“There’s no technological reason for you to have 10,000 dime-sized antennas other than to get around the copyright laws?” Chief Justice John Roberts asked.

And that issue is what the Aereo decision will hinge on.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven

Copyright laws? Oh give me a freakin' break.
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

dfxmatt to tshirt

to tshirt

Doesn't matter. It's still not a retransmission from Aereo due to the method they're using, which is only because they were told legally that they had to do it in the first place. See »www.techdirt.com/article ··· ng.shtml as noted.
dfxmatt

dfxmatt to SimbaSeven

to SimbaSeven

It's exactly correct. Aereo was told they had to do this in order to get around it, not that Aereo chose to. See »www.techdirt.com/article ··· ng.shtml for background.

karpodiem
Hail to The Victors
Premium Member
join:2008-05-20
Troy, MI

karpodiem to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym

THIS. A THOUSAND TIMES, THIS. WHY DON'T PEOPLE UNDERSTAND?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Pirate515

Premium Member

to Pirate515
Their are "spaces" allowed for that some local commerials can be replaced/played over (the station receives extra payment) Most cable operators have a local ad sales staff. So yes the people "in town (OTA) might receive a different commercial, than the surrounding area which in the case of one city surrounded but thousands of square miles of suburbs farms etc.

Observers
@comcast.net

Observers to tvoldtimer

Anon

to tvoldtimer
So using this logic, can Aereo expect any share of the broadcasters local ad revenue?

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven

said by Observers :

So using this logic, can Aereo expect any share of the broadcasters local ad revenue?

Good point. I don't see why not, but the broadcasters would probably throw a massive tantrum.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

2 recommendations

travelguy to hyperbole

to hyperbole

said by hyperbole :

The Chief Justice of USSC summed up what Aereo is doing...

What an absolutely asinine statement. I really think Roberts has lost some of his marbles these past few years. Of course Aereo implemented individual antennas to comply with compyright law. So what! The issue isn't what the motivation of Aereo is, the issue is purely whether they are compliant with the law as currently written. If Congress doesn't like that law any more, they are free to change it at any time.