Search similar:

uniqs
anish3232
join:2014-04-21
Lexington, KY

1 edit

anish3232

[Speed] Windstream Fiber Optic - Lexington, KY

Just wanted to post on here about the fiber optic speeds in the Blackford / Chilesburg (Hamburg) area of Lexington. Just switched over with Dish and pay $24.99 for (24 meg down and 4 meg up). The cheapest deal around and its only $29.99 if you do not have Dish. The speeds so far have been consistent with speed tests averaging 22-24 megs and 4 meg up). Just wanted to post since all I was hearing was about their slow ADSL lines.

The best part is not having any modems inside the house. I can connect my router straight into all my Ethernet ports.

This test was done on my work laptop which has a VPN connection and causes some slower speedtests. Overall very happy with their fiber optic speeds.

Bodybagger
Premium Member
join:2010-03-30
Saint Matthews, SC

Bodybagger

Premium Member

$29.99 without Dish Don'tWork and 24/4... While we paid $75 for 6/0.7 that stays around 2/0.7 with 500ms ping times. Oh! We are only providing 40% of the service you pay for? Sorry.. here's a $10 credit. Pftt.. hahahaah! These people make me insane!

God I hate Windstream so much! If they offered this for my area I doubt I would part with my Verizon 4g. I might be paying double than what you are paying for service but I sleep better at night knowing that Windstream didn't take my $75.
anish3232
Lexington, KY

anish3232

I have heard horror stories on this forum, but most of the stories are coming from rural areas of KY and areas on the east coast. I switched over after a neighbor told me he was getting great service. So far so good for me too.

Here is another speed test closer to the afternoon, expect more people to be home around this time.
Tplord18
join:2013-08-22
Wallingford, KY

Tplord18 to Bodybagger

to Bodybagger
I just wish they were use their money for all fiber for Kentucky and people who use WS.
internet
join:2011-10-25

internet to anish3232

to anish3232
You must have access to the Windstream fiber to the home service. I am in Lexington Ky also and have their 12 meg ADSL 2 service with the FAST 1704N modem. They have fiber to my DSLAM remote terminal but from the DSLAM to my house they still use the standard copper phone wire. Now if they would run fiber to my house I could get the 24 meg service. But I think Windstream will only install fiber to he home service in new developments in Lexington only. Any house or apartment in Lexington that already has copper will most likely never be upgraded to fiber to the home service. I think Windstream will only run fiber to the DSLAM remote terminals and not all the way to the home in current copper areas of Lexington. I would hope that at some point they would have the fiber to home service to all Lexington Windstream customers. Anyone know for sure if Windstream might make the fiber to home service available to all Windstream customers in Lexington Ky that is on the old copper ADSL 2 DSL service?
anish3232
Lexington, KY

1 edit

anish3232

Check out this map. It shows where Windstream has fiber optic (red line). Not sure if that means 24 megs. »www.windstreambusiness.c ··· ters-map
nOv1c3
join:2006-11-08
Whitney, TX

nOv1c3 to Bodybagger

to Bodybagger
lol I feel your pain . I,m on 6 MB service for $39 and that's with Dish and phone bundle

They don't offer anything faster than 6 MB But was more than happy to sell me another 6 MB connection for $39 add that to the $10 a month they been charging me for a second phone line that i never used for years that was supposed to be free in the first place . So that would be $80+ for 12 MB service lol
DarthPrime
join:2005-02-12

DarthPrime to anish3232

to anish3232

It took awhile for our area to get 24 meg service, but its been great since it rolled out last fall. I really wish Windstream would roll out these installs to other areas besides their selected new developments. Its really night and day service compared to the copper/DSL installs.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to anish3232

Premium Member

to anish3232
So they have FTTH and all they offer is the equivalent of top of the line ADSL2+ speeds? A true FTTH system should be capable of supplying symmetrical speeds. GPON is 1,244,000 kbit/s. Use of a 48 port splitter gives you 25 Megabit/second symmetrical capability. Where is your upstream capability? Windstream, what a mess.

thatguythere
@69.178.189.x

thatguythere

Anon

said by davidhoffman:

So they have FTTH and all they offer is the equivalent of top of the line ADSL2+ speeds? A true FTTH system should be capable of supplying symmetrical speeds. GPON is 1,244,000 kbit/s. Use of a 48 port splitter gives you 25 Megabit/second symmetrical capability. Where is your upstream capability? Windstream, what a mess.

That's not even the worse part, if it's truly FTTH with a ping over 60ms that is just horrible. Looks like they just half-ass everything they do.
shealyse
Premium Member
join:2004-04-15
Lexington, SC

shealyse to anish3232

Premium Member

to anish3232
I received the "Fiber Upgrade" letter and took them up on the 30-day trial. Here (Lexington, SC), the offering is 24/2. This far, I have seen very consistent speed and low latency at all times of the day. In my area, it is still copper on the last leg to my house, but using bonded DSL over two pair. An installer visit was required (no cost) to punch down a second pair to the NID. It also required Cat5 minimum for the inside run to the modem. The rest of the house did not matter. I am using as a secondary connection, along with Time Warner's 50/5. Both are connected to a Cisco RV042G Gigabit dual-wan router.

I will be interesting to see how long before the service becomes saturated. I ran the 12 meg without issue for about 2 years before it went south and I completely dropped WS service. I am watching like a hawk.

We do a lot of streaming and average about 850-900 Gigabits on the download per month.
hapster
join:2011-04-05
Shepherdsville, KY

hapster to anish3232

to anish3232
So far here in the Shepherdsville, KY area, max speed is still 12mbit, even after the the upgrade to fiber. The techs on this site have told me there are no plans to change that at this time, which sucks. I'd like to have the higher upload speed.

mark40511
join:2004-10-12
Lexington, KY

mark40511 to shealyse

to shealyse
Sounds Identical to my windstream setup in Lexington KY......And I too am pretty consistent not matter what time of day........and I'm on at all different hours.....sometimes late night, sometimes early morning, evening etc....Prior to that I had 12 for quite a while with no problems, prior to that I had 6 with no problems. I LOVE the fact that Windstream doesn't have a cap.....Cable companies HATE the fact that you can stream.....but I have never used that much data.......I think the most I've used in a month is almost 200 gigs......But I can see if you stream A LOT (which everyone should be able to do if they choose) racking up that much data.
lilarry
Premium Member
join:2010-04-06

lilarry to anish3232

Premium Member

to anish3232
Not for nothing, but bandwidth is not a great measure of quality Internet service. Your ping time is the giveaway here. 58ms ping to a server in the same city as you is really not very good. Ping times should be closer to 10ms or less. (As a comparison, we see 58ms pings on FiOS when pinging a server in Los Angeles from New York). Jitter is also a measure of quality. Try Oookla's other test at pingtest.net.
borisbadenov
join:2005-12-05
Barbourville, KY

borisbadenov to anish3232

to anish3232
That map is not entirely accurate
LexingtonPro
join:2013-06-26
Lexington, KY

LexingtonPro to anish3232

to anish3232
So if I'm one block from that red line, what does it mean to me? They still used copper wire to connect to my house.
Service still drops to nothing at night
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

If Windstream were to put the correct type of node in at a distance of 660 ft(~200 meters), I would estimate you could get 50 Mbps downstream and 25 Mbps upstream based on what is known as VDSL2 Profile 8, if the copper was in good condition. »www.zhone.com/solutions/ ··· imer.pdf.

The potential is there to significantly increase data transfer rates, but it is doubtful that Windstream will do so in the near future without significant competitive pressures from new entrants into their local markets.
LexingtonPro
Lexington, KY

LexingtonPro

Thanks David. AFAIK, it looks like I have a great connection in terms of total speed at anytime I don't need it (while I'm at work or asleep).

Will pings ever be decent even with improvement on windstream's end? I just can't imagine they are that far behind cable.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Scroll to Chart 10, Average Peak Period Latency in Milliseconds, by Technology%u2014September 2012 Test Data, at this website:

»www.fcc.gov/measuring-br ··· February

It gives ping times for various technologies.

Roughly DSL 40 milliseconds, cable 25 milliseconds, fiber 15 milliseconds.
LexingtonPro
Lexington, KY

LexingtonPro

Thank you for the link. great information there
HoTMeTaL9
Premium Member
join:2010-02-12
Coweta, OK

HoTMeTaL9 to Bodybagger

Premium Member

to Bodybagger
I can understand you and relate. I detest Windstream wholeheartedly. I pay for 12Mb/s Here is my latest after I (upon Windstream's request) turned off ALL the other devices except for my computer for speedtest.net
LexingtonPro
Lexington, KY

LexingtonPro to anish3232

to anish3232
So after talking to a number of people at Windstream it appears they are doing what should be illegal - overselling their services.

I bought last month when they knew they were running at 100% capacity in my area in off-peak times. That's crazy. Supposedly "10gig routers" are being installed this month and will make it all better.

I hope so but I'm not counting on it.

Also think it somewhat humorous (and mostly sad) that all I see now are windstream ads telling me to switch over to them. Maybe if they spent more on hardware and bandwidth than advertising??
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Almost all residential ISPs oversell. If they did not, your service might cost 10 to 100 times as much. The theory is that internet usage is a bursty scenario for most subscribers. Download some webpages. Stop. Read webpages. Upload a couple of photos. Stop. That was before streaming music and video. Now a network capable of bursty usage is being asked to do streaming video and music. It was never designed to handle that workload, so now the government needs some patience to see if Windstream lives up to its promises for network upgrades.
LexingtonPro
Lexington, KY

LexingtonPro

Got no problem with them catching up.
Got a HUGE problem with them continuing to promote the product vigorously UNTIL they catch up.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Agree, they should stop selling service.
Tplord18
join:2013-08-22
Wallingford, KY

Tplord18

I agree, Windstream can be good if they stop lying and get legit for once.