Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Level the playing field

Either Aereo pays retransmission fees or DirecTV/Comcast/Time Warner should be able to get a free ride.

I've had enough with the insane rate hikes with pay TV. So I think the playing field should be level for everyone. Unfortunately you have judges that are my grandma's age who don't know how to operate a Verizon Wireless basic phone let alone understand modern technology such as streaming. They probably have paralegals type their documents.

I'm siding with the broadcasters but if Aereo wins then the pay TV providers should get a free ride too. Cablecos have started adding below the line fees because of retransmission costs.
--
Stop the Comcast-Time Warner merger, I'd rather Time Warner buy out Comcast.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

I side with Aereo because I think they are in the right here. Sure they are sliding through a legal loophole but its funny how the very mega corps going after Aereo slide through every legal loophole possible and when a small company does it they cry to government about it.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

coldmoon
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Broadway, NC
Reviews:
·Windstream

said by Kearnstd:

I side with Aereo because I think they are in the right here. Sure they are sliding through a legal loophole but its funny how the very mega corps going after Aereo slide through every legal loophole possible and when a small company does it they cry to government about it.

It's called rent seeking and the providers are old pros at this...
--
Quietzone - Protection you can trust!

Chuck_IV

join:2003-11-18
Connecticut

1 edit
reply to IowaCowboy

And there in lies the problem. If Aereo wins, you can bet Directv/Comcast/Time Warner, will be ready to go ASAP with their version of this to circumvent the retrans fees(once their contracts end).

My gut is the Supreme Court will rule in favor of the networks not because Aereo is in the wrong(which, as the law is written IMO they are NOT) but because they will be influenced by the amount of money that is at stake for the networks. This is exactly why the White House came out against Aereo. They want to protect their campain funding coming from the networks.

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2

DirecTV can't duplicate the setup over satellite, it is physically impossible. Cable companies could do it but they would have to receive the signal OTA instead of the feeds they have. They would need a separate antenna for each customer and would have to deliver it via dedicated channel to each sub. Their infrastructure probably couldn't handle it.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to IowaCowboy

They are completely different services and do not rebroadcast, so no, Aereo should pay nothing for OTA TV.