spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Fido1

@sbcglobal.net

[Speed] Comcast internet and cable - expectations for price and speed?

Hi folks,

I've had Comcast internet and cable for several years. Internet speed still seems substandard and the prices seem quite high for what I'm getting. I'm wondering what other people pay in Silicon Valley (Los Altos, CA area) vs. what they get.

Internet: I have their standard internet connection. I suspect I should be getting >15 Mbps (HSI). But with a wired connection, benchmarks have always shown 2 to 3 Mbps down, ~700 Kbps up (LSI). Reliability seems pretty bad also. I see the same benchmarks with various Macs and PCs, all fairly new machines. Comcast agreed to upgrade the modem/cable box around a year ago but the speed didn't improve.

Comcast now claims they can increase the data rate but I'll have to pay even more per month. I'm currently paying $39/mo for 2-3 Mbps. But I don't see why my existing connection can't deliver at least 20 Mbps. Why should I have to pay more? As an improvement I got an AT&T DSL connection a few years ago. It's proved more reliable and offers similar speed but still too slow for my needs.

Cable TV: I'm getting their most basic service, no premium channels, paying ~$100/mo + tax/fees. This includes one basic DVR and two small tuners with analog video out. This also seems unreasonably high for what little I'm getting.

I could ditch DSL and try paying Comcast even more $$$ and hope for a faster and more reliable connection. But I have little faith I'll see an improvement and I'm so tired of talking to them. They said they won't guarantee a minimum download speed even if I do pay more.

I suspect that other people in the area are getting much higher data rates and probably paying less. And possibly getting better cable TV programming for less, also. Anybody have any data on this? Can anyone suggest alternatives to Comcast? Thanks.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

why cant it deliver higher speeds? cause you are not paying for them.

as for TV, DVR is $15 a month. no HD?

sounds like its time to call in and bundle up
--
I'm better than you!

Papageno

join:2011-01-26
Portland, OR
reply to Fido1

I'm confused. You just wrote "I could ditch DSL and..." So which is it--do you have DSL internet or Comcast HSI?

In Portland, I was paying almost 130 for digital starter with HD (I have a Tivo Premiere and use CableCard so I don't use Comcast's equipment) + Performance tier HSI (about 28 Mbps down, 5 up) with my own cable modem and router. I recently chose to go to Blast tier for 10 bucks more.

abyss

join:2014-03-29
San Jose, CA
reply to Fido1

I pay $139 + taxes/fees for Triple Play Preferred Plus. I usually get 57/11 Mbps, definitely should try to get a promo bundle pricing

canook

@qwest.net
reply to Fido1

Have you checked to see if Sonic.net offers their Fusion Service in your area? They offer truly unlimited bandwidth at a reasonable cost.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
reply to Fido1

said by Fido1 :

Hi folks,

I've had Comcast internet and cable for several years. Internet speed still seems substandard and the prices seem quite high for what I'm getting. I'm wondering what other people pay in Silicon Valley (Los Altos, CA area) vs. what they get.

Internet: I have their standard internet connection. I suspect I should be getting >15 Mbps (HSI). But with a wired connection, benchmarks have always shown 2 to 3 Mbps down, ~700 Kbps up (LSI). Reliability seems pretty bad also. I see the same benchmarks with various Macs and PCs, all fairly new machines. Comcast agreed to upgrade the modem/cable box around a year ago but the speed didn't improve.

Comcast now claims they can increase the data rate but I'll have to pay even more per month. I'm currently paying $39/mo for 2-3 Mbps. But I don't see why my existing connection can't deliver at least 20 Mbps. Why should I have to pay more? As an improvement I got an AT&T DSL connection a few years ago. It's proved more reliable and offers similar speed but still too slow for my needs.

Cable TV: I'm getting their most basic service, no premium channels, paying ~$100/mo + tax/fees. This includes one basic DVR and two small tuners with analog video out. This also seems unreasonably high for what little I'm getting.

I could ditch DSL and try paying Comcast even more $$$ and hope for a faster and more reliable connection. But I have little faith I'll see an improvement and I'm so tired of talking to them. They said they won't guarantee a minimum download speed even if I do pay more.

I suspect that other people in the area are getting much higher data rates and probably paying less. And possibly getting better cable TV programming for less, also. Anybody have any data on this? Can anyone suggest alternatives to Comcast? Thanks.

you want faster speeds? then pay more....why? because like water and electricity, the more bandwidth you eat the higher the rate goes, there is an associated cost to deliver that speed.

so you have DSL and Comcast cable together in one location?

Fido1

@sbcglobal.net

Thanks for the replies, folks. Yes, I'm paying for both DSL and Comcast Internet. Long story but basically Comcast just isn't reliable or fast enough. Sure it makes sense to pay more for higher bandwidth. But I don't think it makes sense to pay $37.95/mo for 2.5Mbps. I spoke with Comcast this evening. They said I should be getting 5-10Mbps (but I'm not). They offered me a deal for $30 less per year for 50 Mbps (Blast), the Preferred 160+ channel package, phone, X1 box plus a few extra tuner boxes. Several years ago when I signed up there was just one speed available. Now apparently there are multiple speeds. Surprisingly, he said they now guarantee a minimum data rate so I intend to hold to it. I'll mull this over and make my final decision. Thanks again for the input.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE

it was MANY MANY years ago there was only one speed. also there is o real guarantee about speeds. best effort. but you should get damn near close to it
--
I'm better than you!