join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to Teddy Boom

Premium Member

to Teddy Boom

Re: [Cable] Prices?

said by Teddy Boom:

said by Guspaz:

But the need to enforce such things isn't Rogers being anti-competitive, it's an unfortunate limitation of the shared nature of cable.

Well.. If Rogers is really demanding 24x8 modems for their own customer on 10/30/60, then I guess you could argue that. If Rogers allows 8x4 from their own customers on 10/30/60, then the decision to drop 4x4 from those tiers is absolutely just an FU to TPIA.

Right now it seems 10/30 can use 3825 and CGN2 - not sure about the D3GN though at my office our 30/5 business connection is a D3GN (ordered pre "hybrid fibre", about 3 months ago).

60/10 and up requires the 24 channel device. I think the motivation to move 60/10 to 24 channel is because Rogers probably sees it as the new "sweet spot"; basically the "express" of the new offerings. Probably will have the largest number of customers so they want those people spread around the RF as much as possible.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by SimplePanda:

Right now it seems 10/30 can use 3825 and CGN2 - not sure about the D3GN though at my office our 30/5 business connection is a D3GN (ordered pre "hybrid fibre", about 3 months ago).

Which is my basic reasoning...

Rogers is long done with the D3GN, so dropping support for it isn't effecting any customers they care about. Meanwhile D3GN is the only "Rogers" modem approved for TPIA (even though that in itself is hugely anti-competitive and against CRTC rules).

Who knows

catchingup
@cgocable.net

catchingup

Anon

said by Teddy Boom:

Which is my basic reasoning...

Rogers is long done with the D3GN, so dropping support for it isn't effecting any customers they care about. Meanwhile D3GN is the only "Rogers" modem approved for TPIA (even though that in itself is hugely anti-competitive and against CRTC rules).

Who knows

It isn't as if there is a separate physial cable for Rogers vs TPIA customers. Allowing TPIA providers to do undesirable things is foolish. Besides allowing for faster speed tiers and not having slow downs at peak hours Rogers should be pushing for maximum operational efficiency with their infrastructure and allowing older modems is counter to that.

The real issue isn't what Rogers is doing regarding infrastructure upgrades and improvements and the modems necessary to take advantage of this but the broken policies regarding modem usage by TPIA providers via their network and that should be taken up with the CRTC.