kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to steevo22

Re: Aero is a service provider

said by steevo22:

said by steevo22:

So we are talking about free TV here.

It is not FREE, it is paid for by advertisers for distribution in a limited area.
If you can't receive it at home, YOU are not in the prepaid audience.

davidc502

join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TDS

said by tshirt:

I think people have forgotten that it is the advertisers that sponsor the shows.

I like Netflix's model where the customer pays, and therefore we don't have commercials.

However, today with "Cable or Satellite" not only do you pay the middle man (Like Comcast), but you also pay the Networks, and then the advertisers pay the networks (we watch the commercials).

So, it's okay that I can erect a antenna, and watch, but if you're out of the watching area, it can't be piped to you, say via the internet without paying re-broadcast fees?

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2
You can with a Slingbox. Apparently though, if someone rents or leases you the Slingbox then it becomes copyright violation

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

MLB tried to stop slingbox because they were scared people would sling to themselves to bypass blackouts by putting their box into the home of a friend/family with a spare TV and box.

Got shot down because MLB has no given right to blackout.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI
reply to tshirt
said by tshirt:

said by steevo22:

said by steevo22:

It is not FREE, it is paid for by advertisers for distribution in a limited area.

Now you're just Making Stuff Up.

If I set up a Slingbox at home so I can watch Metro-Detroit TV while I'm vacationing up in Marquette, is that a copyright violation?

davidc502

join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN
said by jseymour:

Actually, I believe he's correct.

steevo22

join:2002-10-17
Fullerton, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to tshirt
said by tshirt:

said by steevo22:

Why, that's just not true at all.

The broadcaster who has a radio spectrum license can put in commercials or not as they like.

You have the right because of their license "in the public interest" to view their programming with an antenna if you choose to, and they cannot stop you. For example, they cannot scramble anything.

If they choose to not insert commercials that is their right, and there are *many* religious channels that have no commercials, and you can view their programming as you like or not.

The networks for example cannot stop you from watching. They cannot charge you for watching. They cannot encrypt their programming.

They cannot stop you from putting up a 300' long rhombic antenna and watching their programming from hundreds or thousands of miles away if you like. Even from another country.

If I want to hire Aereo or anyone else to put up an antenna and let me watch TV that should not be anything anyone should have to pay for.

This is FREE TV.