RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Cooking Channel & DIY Network coming May 22

According to Newsday....

"Cablevision Systems Corp. on Tuesday said it will add the Cooking Channel and the DIY Network to its Optimum TV lineup by May 22. Both networks are owned by Knoxville, Tenn.- based Scripps Network Interactive, known for its flagship channels HGTV, The Food Network and The Travel Channel.

The Cooking Channel, which will air on Channel 166, runs how-to programming about cooking and food while the DIY Network, which will air on Channel 167, applies the same formula to home improvement with a slate of instructional programs geared toward house and garden projects.

Both channels will be available in standard and high definition."

»www.newsday.com/business/cablevi ··· .7791181

Ilsno

@optonline.net
I was surprised to hear this considering the bad blood between Cablevision and Scripps. I remember during the blackout Cablevision said they had no intention of ever returning the Food Network.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to RickNY
said by RickNY:

The Cooking Channel, which will air on Channel 166

Interesting. I wonder what will happen to the Classic Arts Showcase channel which is currently on 166?

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
reply to Ilsno
said by Ilsno :

I was surprised to hear this considering the bad blood between Cablevision and Scripps

Don't be. When other competing providers have these channels and enough people ask for them, Cablevision will conveniently "forget" that there ever was any bad blood.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
reply to mbernste
Those channels slots are empty on my system, Oakland NJ

Ilsno

@optonline.net
reply to mbernste
My understanding is that Classic Arts Showcase is a public domain type service that any cable company can receive free of cost, similar to CSPAN. I bet they just move it to another channel. I'm sure Scripps demanded that both DIY and Cooking were positioned next to each other since the viewership demographics are similar.

tvfan26

join:2013-12-29
Howell, NJ
reply to mbernste
said by mbernste:

said by RickNY:

The Cooking Channel, which will air on Channel 166

Interesting. I wonder what will happen to the Classic Arts Showcase channel which is currently on 166?

CAS is on Channel 165 here.

Still waiting on any news regarding KVNV (Me-TV).

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
kudos:1
Here in Fairfield county, MeTV (NY) is on Ch. 77

DownTheShore
RIP tmpchaos
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
reply to RickNY
Wonder what tier they will start on?

RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by DownTheShore:

Wonder what tier they will start on?

Cooking Channel and DIY Network will be available in both standard and high definition to Optimum TV residential customers with the Optimum Preferred package and above - See more at: »www.multichannel.com/news/conten ··· Os5.dpuf

SirQAM

@verizon.net
reply to mbernste
said by mbernste:

said by Ilsno :

I was surprised to hear this considering the bad blood between Cablevision and Scripps

Don't be. When other competing providers have these channels and enough people ask for them, Cablevision will conveniently "forget" that there ever was any bad blood.

Bad Blood in business is usually cured by monetary infusion

Cablevision isn't adding these channels because their competitors already provide them or people were asking for them. How convenient that enough people would clamor for the addition of two channels which just happen to be owned by the same company :sarcasm:

I wonder how far along the contract is between CV and the co-owners of Travel Channel, and if that might be coming up for renewal anytime soon...

Wyldfox

join:2002-01-26
Milford, CT
reply to dm145
166 and 167 are empty here as well, Milford, CT.

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
reply to RickNY
It's about dang time that they added these channels!

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

2 recommendations

reply to RickNY
I know in the past that DIY network was frequently brought up as a must-have for new channels..

Kind of odd how all of these channels get brought out by their content providers to provide programming that their existing channels used to originally provide (i.e HGTV used to have programming similar to DIY, Food Channel used to have programming similar to Cooking Channel). These networks change their programming to include everything BUT what their name is, and then they suddenly come out with a channel that includes it again.. Nice play against the cable companies for more $$$$$$ (I think the original in this regard was MTV2 - which was supposed to be just music videos - as MTV used to be before all the reality crap)

Dont get me started with Discovery Networks..

SirQAM

@verizon.net

1 recommendation

said by RickNY:

I know in the past that DIY network was frequently brought up as a must-have for new channels..

Kind of odd how all of these channels get brought out by their content providers to provide programming that their existing channels used to originally provide (i.e HGTV used to have programming similar to DIY, Food Channel used to have programming similar to Cooking Channel). These networks change their programming to include everything BUT what their name is, and then they suddenly come out with a channel that includes it again.. Nice play against the cable companies for more $$$$$$ (I think the original in this regard was MTV2 - which was supposed to be just music videos - as MTV used to be before all the reality crap)

Dont get me started with Discovery Networks..

Here are a few other examples of cable/satellite networks that underwent identity crises by straying from their original programming intent due to the misguided actions of their mega-corporate owners:

Arts & Entertainment (A&E), American Movie Classics (AMC), Bravo, CNN Headline News, The Discovery Channel, The History Channel, H2, Music Television (MTV), MTV 2 (intended to replace MTV, until the same fate befell MTV 2), Nick at Nite, Sci-Fi, The Travel Channel, The Weather Channel, TV Land (intended to replace Nick at Nite, until the same fate befell TV Land), and Video Hits One (VH-1)

Ilsno

@optonline.net
Cable TV has become dominated by inane reality TV type programming unfortunately. I guess this is what America wants. I certainly don't. Aside from live sporting events, cable television is dying on the vine. I can think of about 6 or 7 channels I would voluntarily subscribe to if air had a choice.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
reply to SirQAM
Showtime is another example. Originally the channel was intended to broadcast plays and Broadway shows.

DownTheShore
RIP tmpchaos
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
reply to RemyM
Thanks, Remy.

voipguy

join:2006-05-31
Forest Hills, NY
reply to mbernste
I think you may be referring to Bravo. Showtime was always a premium movie-oriented network.

Does anyone remember when TLC was The Learning Channel?

Spike TV used to be TNN which used to be The Nashville Network.

In this world, a network to a buyer means distribution and reach (how many households does the signal reach). Nothing else.

Suits by cable operators over "repurposed" networks are just a cost of doing business.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
said by voipguy:

Showtime was always a premium movie-oriented network.

Not in 1980 when we first got cable. It was a Broadway-themed cable channel. It aired such shows as the stage production of Pippin starring William Katt from "The Greatest American Hero" fame.

Boooost

@24.190.184.x
reply to voipguy
said by voipguy:

Does anyone remember when TLC was The Learning Channel?

Right now, TLC is showing "Untold Stories of the ER: Sex Edition". I guess I'm learning something.

Boooost

@24.190.184.x
Now TLC is showing "Sex Sent Me to the E.R.".

Actually, the shows are pretty similar to Doctor Dan's stories.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY
reply to RickNY
DUtchess has nothing on 166 & 167 either.

dm145

Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to RickNY
Effective Tuesday, May 20, 2014, Cablevision will launch the Cooking Channel & DIY Network in both Standard Definition and High Definition in Connecticut. The Cooking Channel is a television specialty channel that airs recurring programs about food and cooking. It focuses more on instructional shows rather than "reality style" and contest programming. DIY Network focuses on do-it-yourself projects at home and in the garden. The Cooking Channel will launch on channel 166 (Standard Definition) and channel 689 (High Definition) and the DYI Network will launch on channel 167 (Standard Definition) and channel 690 (High Definition) throughout Connecticut.

Assume typical three day roll out

dm145

Clifton, NJ
Both live on Oakland system NJ

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
Both are live on the Greenville System (serves PA and orange county ny)

stephen

join:2005-05-12
Scarsdale, NY
reply to RickNY
Both available here in Westchester County, NY. They're in HD on 166 and 167.

Julzism

join:2003-01-31
Bronxville, NY
reply to RickNY
Does anyone know what package is required to receive these channels?

thanks

dm145

Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
Cooking Channel and DIY Network will be available in both standard and high definition to Optimum TV residential customers with the Optimum Preferred package and above; customers must have a digital set-top box or CableCARD to receive the channels. Cooking Channel will be on channel 166 and DIY Network will be on channel 167 - See more at: »www.multichannel.com/news/conten ··· yA2.dpuf

Parth

join:2010-08-16
Poughkeepsie, NY
reply to RickNY
166 and 167 show up in the Dutchess guide. I don't have Preferred though, so I can't actually watch it.