Search similar:

uniqs

soccrkeep1
@sbcglobal.net

soccrkeep1

Anon

Pool Pump pressure is super high

Hello,

I haven't been able to figure this out and the big box pool companies just give me maybes with no definite answer. The pressure of my pump is 30 psi when the filter is in, after the filter is cleaned. Without the filter in, it's still 15psi. When the filter is in, the pool water doesn't even move at all, leading to algae growth, and also, the chlorine tabs don't get enough water flow in to dissolve. It's awful, and I need it fixed, but I don't want to get screwed by a pool company in the process. Any help?

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl

Premium Member

If it's a cartridge system the filer may just be shot. Years and years of scale and calcium build up may have taken it's toll.

Have you brought the filter (cartridge) to the pool store for a more professional examination?

If it's DE the same could be said for the fins.
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to soccrkeep1

to soccrkeep1
this may be your problem. this is an excellent forum to ask btw.. »www.troublefreepool.com/ ··· s-normal

pooldocs
@optonline.net

pooldocs to soccrkeep1

Anon

to soccrkeep1
We would need to know type of filter, set up of system, plumbing, heater or no heater?

Even at 30 psi you should have water movement, do you have valves turned off (sounds like it as NO filter and 15psi pump pressure sounds like something is not fully open)

How are you adding tablets?

If your pool is dirty as it sounds, you can plug the filter VERY quickly.

Really with out a service call no one could give you a definite answer but if you give us answers to that we might be able to take a good guess...

Also a dirty filter will filter better than a clean filter just FYI.

I work on pools so trust me on that...

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to soccrkeep1

MVM

to soccrkeep1
With the amount of pollen in the air around the country now, it wouldn't surprise me if you have to clean the filter fairly often... until the atmosphere settles down. And yes, dirty filters do clean better... up to a point. If it gets too clogged it just fights itself and the pump. Too much back-pressure from a clogged filter runs the risk of burning up the pump. It's like pumping against a solid wall. Your water return is a good indicator of whether that's happening or not. A dirty filter cleans very well, especially the small solids that can make water cloudy, but a clogged filter is not good. I'd just keep cleaning the elements whenever the pressure gets too high and see what happens. I'm guessing that after we're out of pollen season, it'll settle down.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to soccrkeep1

Premium Member

to soccrkeep1
Assuming that it's a cartridge system, I agree with the assessment that it's probably time for a new one.

The filter cartridge I inherited when I bought my house got me by for a few months. It got to the point where cleaning it only worked for about a week before the pressure gauge would be pegged again. The guy who had resurfaced my pool told me about acid-washing the cartridge to get rid of the buildup. This got me another month out of it.

I ended up buying two new cartridges from Amazon for less than one cartridge would have cost me at the local pool store. I'm still on the first one, and it's been about a year. Pressure is at 10 PSI right now, and when it gets up near 20 PSI or so, I take it out and clean it with my pressure washer (on the absolutely lowest setting). This is working well so far. I end up cleaning the cartridge about once a month.

allyouneed
@optonline.net

allyouneed

Anon

Click for full size
That's all you need to clean filters...