uniqs

sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy

Premium Member

[Electrical] Enerlites USB charging outlets

Has anybody else used this brand of USB charging outlet yet? Searching the archives did not give up any hits for me. I've only found one online review so far (on Amazon). Newegg sells these, too, but no reviews.

I bought some of these Enterlites USB charging outlets from Amazon for a forthcoming remodel project.
»enerlites.com/61501-tr2usb.html
»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· 0IAZIU5Y
Install instructions: »enerlites.com/media/mcon ··· 2usb.pdf

The attraction, compared to the ones from other manufacturers like FastMac which I have previously purchased, was that this unit provides 4 amps of charging capacity and that was the most that I have been able find on these type of combined charger/outlet units.

I received my shipment today, and now I am second guessing my purchase. Things affecting my decision.

Item 1) The unit has only one "Line" and one "Neutral" screw connection (and a Ground screw, of course) making it difficult to continue a series run to the next outlet. It has the one set of side screws, and push in connectors where the wires go under the screw nut. (See pic on Amazon link.) I suppose a pigtail would be the better solution if needing to continue the wire run, but this thing is deep like a GFCI outlet. Is this the "new way" of making deep devices like this? With only two screws on the sides? All the GFCI's (which I am only comparing this to due to the depth)I have used had two sets of screws on the sides like "regular" outlets.
Item 2) Not UL (United Laboratories) listed. It has an Intertek ETL mark.

On the plus side, the outlet is tamper resistant (TR) to meet code.

Am I being needlessly picky?

Before anybody says I should, I am having a licensed electrician do the electrical work on this remodel project. Too big of a project for my DIY skills. I have not yet discussed my intention to have the electrician install these yet. Given the lack of review info on them, I am wondering if the county inspection would pass if they are installed.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by sempergoofy:

It has the one set of side screws, and push in connectors where the wires go under the screw nut.

Looks like there are holes for two wires for each screw on the back. As those are clamping connections there is no problem putting two wires to one screw.

No idea on code inspection.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

2 recommendations

leibold to sempergoofy

MVM

to sempergoofy
While less known then UL, there are other entities that perform third party verification of safety standards and Intertek (issuer of the ETL mark) is one of them.
To be sure that ETL listed devices are acceptable in your area you would have to check with local authorities. Most likely it will be fine.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to sempergoofy

MVM

to sempergoofy
I've never even heard of that brand, so I can't say. Were they that much less (in price) to justify their purchase vs. a reputable brand?

All of these USB incorporated receptacles really need deeper boxes. I would plan accordingly.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by nunya:

Were they that much less (in price) to justify their purchase vs. a reputable brand?

When you are buying one of these, many times features are more important than cost.
said by sempergoofy:

The attraction... was that this unit provides 4 amps of charging capacity and that was the most that I have been able find on these type of combined charger/outlet units.

Do you know of any "reputable" brands with this spec (feature).
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to sempergoofy

to sempergoofy
said by sempergoofy:

The attraction, compared to the ones from other manufacturers like FastMac which I have previously purchased, was that this unit provides 4 amps of charging capacity and that was the most that I have been able find on these type of combined charger/outlet units.

I do not know who makes what for who but you can buy the same wiring device rated 4.2 Amps under the more widely recognized Leviton brand name described here:
»www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ ··· te=10251

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Actually the Leviton is 3.6 amps -- but that is close.

"Duplex Receptacle - Currently is the highest charging device on the market with 3.6 Amps of charging power."

sempergoofy
Premium Member
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
said by robbin:

Looks like there are holes for two wires for each screw on the back. As those are clamping connections there is no problem putting two wires to one screw.

One set of holes is for #12/#14 wire, the other is for #10 wire.
sempergoofy

sempergoofy to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
said by robbin:

Actually the Leviton is 3.6 amps -- but that is close.

Yeah, the 4.2 AMP is only listed for the strictly-USB device on that page without the normal socket.
sempergoofy

sempergoofy to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
said by nunya:

All of these USB incorporated receptacles really need deeper boxes. I would plan accordingly.

The beauty of this remodel is that should be no issue.

enon
@216.151.180.x

enon to robbin

Anon

to robbin
said by robbin:

Do you know of any "reputable" brands with this spec (feature).

It doesn't get much more reputable than Hubbell. This one features 3 amps per USB for a total of 6, comes with UL listing, and shuts down the USB circuits when not in use. »www.amazon.com/Hubbell-W ··· 0C5NLU5E

The one linked by OP is 4 amp total and does not mention any safety testing or idle usage.

sempergoofy
Premium Member
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy

Premium Member

That Hubbell is interesting. The features cited are compelling. But, is it not the case that the one I bought can deliver 4 Amps as long as I don't plug in a second USB device?

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to sempergoofy

Premium Member

to sempergoofy
said by sempergoofy:

said by robbin:

One set of holes is for #12/#14 wire, the other is for #10 wire.

Both holes certainly look the same size in the pictures, even when you magnify them. Are you sure that each hole is rated for 10, 12 or 14 gauge wire? That would make a lot more sense and be quite common.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by Msradell:

Are you sure that each hole is rated for 10, 12 or 14 gauge wire?

Since they are clamping connections I can't imagine how it would matter.

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga to enon

to enon
said by enon :

shuts down the USB circuits when not in use. »www.amazon.com/Hubbell-W ··· 0C5NLU5E

Not according to Hubbell's documentation: »ecatalog.hubbell-wiring. ··· B003.pdf

On the second page it says:
Energy consumed when USBs are not in use, per hour
No Load Current .0013A
No load Watts .63W
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to sempergoofy

Premium Member

to sempergoofy
said by sempergoofy:

The unit has only one "Line" and one "Neutral" screw connection (and a Ground screw, of course) making it difficult to continue a series run to the next outlet.

I suppose a pigtail would be the better solution if needing to continue the wire run, but this thing is deep like a GFCI outlet.

Correct, a pigtail is the preferred method of continuing a circuit. You can certainly use the outlet as the "splice" but the additional line/neutral screws are also present on standard outlets to allow you to wire up each socket individually.
said by sempergoofy:

All the GFCI's (which I am only comparing this to due to the depth)I have used had two sets of screws on the sides like "regular" outlets.

I realize you are only making that comparison because of depth, but honestly that's an unfair comparison. GFCI outlet have two sets of screw terminals because they have a line and load side and so require two sets.
said by sempergoofy:

Given the lack of review info on them, I am wondering if the county inspection would pass if they are installed.

Inspectors don't care about reviews generally. They care about certification marks and while it apparently doesn't have UL marks, it does have Intertek marks. It may throw an inspector for a loop at first if they are expecting UL and don't see it but they should not fail you for that (unless they dig deeper and find the Intertek mark is fraudulent or something like that, in which case that's not your fault but the manufacturers fault, though you'll still be required to replace them). You'll also still need to make sure you keep the standard outlet "six-foot" rule in mind to pass, though your electrician should know this anyway.

DarkHelmet
join:2014-02-21

1 edit

DarkHelmet to sempergoofy

to sempergoofy
said by sempergoofy:

said by nunya:

The beauty of this remodel is that should be no issue.

It shouldn't be an issue anyways. I've installed 3 USB receptacles of 2 different brands (cooper & levitron) and ran into no issues with 1960 vintage electrical boxes. There's not a ton of room left but they fit with no issues.

As for issue #1. I pigtailed all my USB receptacle since all 3 I installed had just 1 set of connections. No big deal.

sempergoofy
Premium Member
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy to Msradell

Premium Member

to Msradell
Click for full size
back photo
said by Msradell:

Both holes certainly look the same size in the pictures, even when you magnify them. Are you sure that each hole is rated for 10, 12 or 14 gauge wire? That would make a lot more sense and be quite common.

I can't fault your logic, but what do you conclude when you read the labeling? I just snapped this photo.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to sempergoofy

Premium Member

to sempergoofy
I own the Fastmac only. I put it in my kitchen, above the counter. I needed to dremel the tile around the outlet as it was narrower than the box.
Its only 2.4amps but that is plenty for my needs (iPhone and ipad).

But no, I've not used enterlites.
I don't like backstab units.
You can get pigtails and feed to another outlet.
Yes, as others posted, these USB-integrated-charging outlets are larger than typical 120v outlets. Better check clearance in the box before purchase.
I wish someone would make a single outlet but 4 USB... I see 4 USB only, or one outlet and only 2 usb.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to cybersaga

Premium Member

to cybersaga
said by cybersaga:

said by enon :

shuts down the USB circuits when not in use ...

Not according to Hubbell's documentation ...
Energy consumed when USBs are not in use, per hour
No Load Current .0013A

That is only 1.3 milliamps, less than typical leakage current on a GFCI outlet.

My son likes to dangle his iPod cable from the outlet after charging. So a simple cable detection method is not good enough!

They have to add circuit to determine when charge current becomes really small and then activate a relay. But what if your device is charged using very low current? You will be stuck.

Just too much hassle and cost involved in completely shutting off the USB ports.

Boooost
@151.190.40.x

Boooost to cybersaga

Anon

to cybersaga
said by cybersaga:

No load Watts .63W

OMG, that's 7 cents per month!

DarkHelmet
join:2014-02-21

DarkHelmet

said by Boooost :

said by cybersaga:

No load Watts .63W

OMG, that's 7 cents per month!

That's a deal breaker right there!

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga

I didn't say it was a lot. Just pointing out that it doesn't 'shut down the USB circuits when not in use'.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to enon

to enon
said by enon :

This one features 3 amps per USB for a total of 6,

I have one of these. It's not rated for 6 amps unless Hubbell has made some big changes in the last couple of months. However it will charge an iPad and an iPhone 5 simultaneously, which is more than I could say for my FastMac which died, not coincidentally, a couple of months ago.

The previously-cited manufacturer's cut sheet makes no mention of a 6 amp rating. It says 3A for the unit.
»ecatalog.hubbell-wiring. ··· B003.pdf

The only one I've seen rated over 4A was a 4-port USB without the 125 VAC receptacles. Should be some recent threads on this issue as well.