Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

enon

@216.151.180.x
reply to robbin

Re: [Electrical] Enerlites USB charging outlets

said by robbin:

Do you know of any "reputable" brands with this spec (feature).

It doesn't get much more reputable than Hubbell. This one features 3 amps per USB for a total of 6, comes with UL listing, and shuts down the USB circuits when not in use. »www.amazon.com/Hubbell-Wiring-Sy···0C5NLU5E

The one linked by OP is 4 amp total and does not mention any safety testing or idle usage.

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
That Hubbell is interesting. The features cited are compelling. But, is it not the case that the one I bought can deliver 4 Amps as long as I don't plug in a second USB device?
--
nohup rm -fr /&

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
reply to enon
said by enon :

shuts down the USB circuits when not in use. »www.amazon.com/Hubbell-Wiring-Sy···0C5NLU5E

Not according to Hubbell's documentation: »ecatalog.hubbell-wiring.com/pres···B003.pdf

On the second page it says:
Energy consumed when USBs are not in use, per hour
No Load Current .0013A
No load Watts .63W

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
said by cybersaga:

said by enon :

shuts down the USB circuits when not in use ...

Not according to Hubbell's documentation ...
Energy consumed when USBs are not in use, per hour
No Load Current .0013A

That is only 1.3 milliamps, less than typical leakage current on a GFCI outlet.

My son likes to dangle his iPod cable from the outlet after charging. So a simple cable detection method is not good enough!

They have to add circuit to determine when charge current becomes really small and then activate a relay. But what if your device is charged using very low current? You will be stuck.

Just too much hassle and cost involved in completely shutting off the USB ports.

Boooost

@151.190.40.x
reply to cybersaga
said by cybersaga:

No load Watts .63W

OMG, that's 7 cents per month!

DarkHelmet

join:2014-02-21
said by Boooost :

said by cybersaga:

No load Watts .63W

OMG, that's 7 cents per month!

That's a deal breaker right there!

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
I didn't say it was a lot. Just pointing out that it doesn't 'shut down the USB circuits when not in use'.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to enon
said by enon :

This one features 3 amps per USB for a total of 6,

I have one of these. It's not rated for 6 amps unless Hubbell has made some big changes in the last couple of months. However it will charge an iPad and an iPhone 5 simultaneously, which is more than I could say for my FastMac which died, not coincidentally, a couple of months ago.

The previously-cited manufacturer's cut sheet makes no mention of a 6 amp rating. It says 3A for the unit.
»ecatalog.hubbell-wiring.com/pres···B003.pdf

The only one I've seen rated over 4A was a 4-port USB without the 125 VAC receptacles. Should be some recent threads on this issue as well.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb