All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jonny4
join:2008-01-12
Cumming, GA

jonny4

[HSI] DHCP issue with Routers but not the modems.

I got back from a cruise almost 4 weeks ago and my internet wasn't working. So I did my usual walk through and rebooted everything and when it came back I had no internet still but now I couldn't even see the router. When I tried to hunt down the problem with windows built in troubleshooting it said that it was a invalid ip configuration. I hooked the modem directly up to the PC and it works fine. So I thought something was wrong with the router, reset it, hooked everything back up like normal and went to bed. The next day everything was working again with no problems so I assumed it was the router. Well earlier this week the power went out for longer than my battery backup could stay on and it happened again and the same thing happened again so this time I tried a new router and same problem I then went to charter and replaced the modem and everything started working the next day. Well today I called Charter to talk to thewm about my horrid speeds and the guy wouldn't make an appointment until I hooked the modem directly up to the computer and ran a speed test, funny side note I actually got slower speeds hooked directly up, well I have been fighting to get the router working again today. 3 different routers won't work but if I hook the modem directly up everything works fine. I need WiFi and can't have the modem directly connected to the computer. i am starting to think that for some reason there is a problem with their dhcp service or they are purposefully blocking the use of the routers. Now I really don't know if this is possible but it is really annoying the hell out of me especially since I live in an area that is about to get a huge housing market boom and unless Charter gets their crap together they are going to have even more pissed off customers. The 2 modems I have are Cisco dpc3008 and dpc 3010, the 3 routers are a Netgear r6250, n900 and n600. I can't access any of the routers at all after this crap. I have also tried on a windows 8.1 laptop and desktop and a windows phone and an android phone to access the router via wifi and direct connection on the PC's.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant

When you're not getting a valid IP going through the router, are you powercycling the modem? Once the modem is connected to a device, it will only pass traffic to that device unless it's powercycled.

Also, are you running a software firewall?

chaud
Serious Business
join:2004-07-09
Huntsville, AL

chaud to jonny4

to jonny4
They do fun things with DHCP and rapid requests. More details here: »www.linksysinfo.org/inde ··· r.31140/

PacketHauler
Premium Member
join:2014-04-11
Rockledge, FL

PacketHauler to jonny4

Premium Member

to jonny4
I had this same thing happen not that long ago. My ASUS router has a setting for DHCP on the WAN side, either Normal or Aggressive mode. Not sure why the router defaults to Aggressive, that appears to cause the same symptoms that the Linksys forum posts talked about. I just changed mine to normal mode.
jonny4
join:2008-01-12
Cumming, GA

jonny4 to defiant

to defiant
I always reboot the modem and the firewall is software based but different on each computer so this shouldn't be the issue and I have already checked them.
jonny4

jonny4

The tech found a problem down the line somewhere and tried to force a new modem on me that had a phone connection but was no different than my old modem spec wise. The line techs are supposed to be out next week.
jonny4

jonny4

So my hardwired devices are working great but both my Xbox One and Xbox 360 are saying they can't get a dhcp.
Ctech
join:2013-07-27

Ctech

said by jonny4:

So my hardwired devices are working great but both my Xbox One and Xbox 360 are saying they can't get a dhcp.

if devices that are hardwired to your router are working and the wireless are not then the problem is some setting in your router. charter modems give one ip address to the router, the router is the dhcp server for your network.