uniqs
anish3232
join:2014-04-21
Lexington, KY

1 edit

anish3232 to internet

to internet

Re: [Speed] Windstream Fiber Optic - Lexington, KY

Check out this map. It shows where Windstream has fiber optic (red line). Not sure if that means 24 megs. »www.windstreambusiness.c ··· ters-map
borisbadenov
join:2005-12-05
Barbourville, KY

borisbadenov

That map is not entirely accurate
LexingtonPro
join:2013-06-26
Lexington, KY

LexingtonPro to anish3232

to anish3232
So if I'm one block from that red line, what does it mean to me? They still used copper wire to connect to my house.
Service still drops to nothing at night
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

If Windstream were to put the correct type of node in at a distance of 660 ft(~200 meters), I would estimate you could get 50 Mbps downstream and 25 Mbps upstream based on what is known as VDSL2 Profile 8, if the copper was in good condition. »www.zhone.com/solutions/ ··· imer.pdf.

The potential is there to significantly increase data transfer rates, but it is doubtful that Windstream will do so in the near future without significant competitive pressures from new entrants into their local markets.
LexingtonPro
Lexington, KY

LexingtonPro

Thanks David. AFAIK, it looks like I have a great connection in terms of total speed at anytime I don't need it (while I'm at work or asleep).

Will pings ever be decent even with improvement on windstream's end? I just can't imagine they are that far behind cable.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Scroll to Chart 10, Average Peak Period Latency in Milliseconds, by Technology%u2014September 2012 Test Data, at this website:

»www.fcc.gov/measuring-br ··· February

It gives ping times for various technologies.

Roughly DSL 40 milliseconds, cable 25 milliseconds, fiber 15 milliseconds.
LexingtonPro
Lexington, KY

LexingtonPro

Thank you for the link. great information there