spc
Search similar:

uniqs
montecarlo1
join:2013-11-24
Binghamton, NY

2 edits

montecarlo1

RE: Does it make any difference between a gigabit or non-gigabit router...?

Hello.

I have a quick general question to ask you.

My question: Generally speaking, having a SOHO cable broadband gigabit router better (in any conceivable way) than having a SOHO broadband non-gigabit (10/100 Ethernet) router when I am using the router partly as a hardwired LAN Ethernet connection to a live streaming Internet radio console or even a HD live video streaming device... ...or does it not make any difference what-so-ever between gigabit and non-gigabit routers applicable to my application here?

May be of use: My ISP setup and ISP speed is Internet cable with 15 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload.

Please reply.

Thank you!

Midniteoyl
join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN

1 recommendation

Midniteoyl

Re: Does it make any difference between a gigabit or non-gigabit router...?

Are you saying you only stream from the internet? In that case, 10/100 works well if you dont have the extra cash to buy Gigabit..

If, on the other hand, if you want a good fast LAN to stream pre-downloaded movies/files from a Media device, move files to/from a NAS, do full harddrive backups, etc, Gigabit will be your best friend.

Gigabit isn't all that much more now-a-days and will only be good for the future when you do grow and want more LAN speed.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

1 recommendation

bbear2 to montecarlo1

Premium Member

to montecarlo1
When you are going out (to/from the internet) then any thing over your internet connection speed is pretty much irrelevant. When you are going intra-lan within your own network, then yes, if all the devices and connections are Gb, then you will realize a higher throughput vs. 10/100.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

2 recommendations

TheTechGuru to montecarlo1

to montecarlo1
Decide for yourself:

montecarlo1
join:2013-11-24
Binghamton, NY

1 recommendation

montecarlo1

Re: RE: Does it make any difference between a gigabit or non-gigabit router...?

@ Midniteoyl, bbear2, & TheTechGuru:

Hello. Nice to meet you all, thank you for your replies!

So, basically my internal home LAN network will benefit with a gigabit router as long as "all" components and devices are gigabit capable. Yes, that entices me.

I have a question for TheTechGuru:

With your examples of wired/wireless with and without gigabit speeds, are those "internal" home network LAN speeds with a home networking device or not? How do you conduct this test, or if you did not do it personally; how is this test conducted in your images? Please, please explain in detail.

Please reply.

Thank you!

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

1 recommendation

TheTechGuru

said by montecarlo1:

I have a question for TheTechGuru:

With your examples of wired/wireless with and without gigabit speeds, are those "internal" home network LAN speeds with a home networking device or not? How do you conduct this test, or if you did not do it personally; how is this test conducted in your images? Please, please explain in detail.

Please reply.

Thank you!

Tests were performed from a Windows 2008 R2 server on my LAN running MS-IIS and serving up the speedtest from a RAMDRIVE so that the hard drive speed would not be a bottleneck (hence why the download is better than the upload) I did all the speed tests on my Core i7 laptop using it's Realtek PCIe gigabit wired LAN adapter and Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 wireless adapter's.

For the wired tests I changed the mode on the laptop's side for the adapter from 1000base TX AUTO, to 100base-TX Full duplex then to 10base-t full duplex.

For the wireless tests I changed the modes in the router from N only 40mhz, to N only 20mhz, then to G only then to B only.

IMHO, if you're buying any new equipment, go gigabit, you'll eventually need it for something in the future, buying old technology is just throwing money away.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

1 recommendation

bbear2 to montecarlo1

Premium Member

to montecarlo1
If you want to do a poor man's speed test from one PC to another you can do this. Get a BIG file, anything will do as long as it's big.

On PC #1, create that big file. Put it in a folder and share it out.

On PC #2 navigate on your network to locate that big file on PC#1. Get ready to copy that file from PC1 to PC2. before you do the copy, run windows task-manager and open the Networking tab.

Start the copy and watch the % utilization. Note, that will be a percent of the Link Speed listed at bottom. If it goes too quickly, get a bigger file. If you repeat the test immediately, some of the file might still be in cache so you might get better results.