Zubrowka USA

5 recommendations

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Microsoft Windows7 Update: April 22, 2014

Just got notified by MS updater to install this:

Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7
KB2952664

This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows.

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2952664

Looks like crap to me.

This is a Windows7 system.

I have no desire or need to do an "upgrade experience".

As I see it, MS has become increasingly annoying. They are no better than the peddlers who ring your doorbell during dinner.

By now if MS wants me to do something I have NO wish to help them out. They are seeking to benefit themselves, not me.

captnhook
join:2001-02-20
NY

captnhook

Certainly not an important update except for someone who works in Microsoft's marketing department.

Ignored and hidden.

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
quote:
ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows.
ya....not

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
Thanks for this - looks like, as captnhook See Profile thinks, this may be directly out of MS Marketing as it's not on anyone's radar that I know.

Have put some feelers out to get a better understanding if this should be applied or ignored.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
What "improvements" could it possibly make? That's the question.

Looking through the list of files that it installs, appears to be a bunch of compatibility checking files.

Sportsfan
join:2012-03-26

Sportsfan to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
I didn't get a notification for this one, but I found it listed under "optional updates," so I'm ignoring it for now. (W7HE 64)
a href
join:2005-03-22
Richmond, CA

1 recommendation

a href to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
Nice try, Microsoft. If I was crazy enough to switch to Win 8, I'd fresh install it anyway, not upgrade. Added this update to my 'ignored' list.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

1 recommendation

Dustyn to captnhook

Premium Member

to captnhook
But why oh why would nobody want to install this to make their upgrade experience to Windows 8 easier??? Are you trying to tell me that you don't... WANT Windows 8? lol
Dustyn

Dustyn to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
quote:
The global version of this update installs files that have the attributes that are listed in the following tables. The dates and the times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). The dates and the times for these files on your local computer are displayed in your local time together with your current daylight saving time (DST) bias. Additionally, the dates and the times may change when you perform certain operations on the files.

The MANIFEST files (.manifest) and the MUM files (.mum) that are installed for each environment are in the "Additional file information for Windows 7" section. MUM, MANIFEST, and the associated security catalog (.cat) files, are very important to maintain the state of the updated components. The security catalog files, for which the attributes are not listed, are signed with a Microsoft digital signature.

Jamini
@mysipl.com

Jamini to PX Eliezer1

Anon

to PX Eliezer1
Completely agree with the postings. It is not surprising that MS provides update -"recommended" or "critical" & then advises users who have problems to search various MS forum. Yet, at the end they advise system restore! Why run an "update" then scurry for system restore? Windows 8 is terrible as it dumps the wide eyed in the middle of nowhere stripping out even the Bluetooth & Ethernet drivers! No network - drop dead. Painfully gather the huge files, put them on USB & run - reboot ...run - reboot desperately hoping to get the network back. Is this is called upgrade experience? Sarcasm is very much justified.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to PX Eliezer1

MVM

to PX Eliezer1
I wonder if the update is so MS may allow upgrades to 8.1 without blowing away your programs. Currently, you can only update 7 to 8.0 like that.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Good point but they should be a little more open about it.

MS more than ever wants to be viewed as a mysterious black box.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
Folks via way of GRC News are reporting crashes post apply of said MS KB.
»12078.net/grcnews/articl ··· ns#40192
siljaline

siljaline to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
Microsoft confuses Windows 7 users with sudden release of KB 2952664

~ With no fanfare or warning -- and scarce details from Microsoft -- an 'important' update has appeared on fully patched Windows 7 machines ~

»www.infoworld.com/t/micr ··· 4-241047
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline
Trying to give people a reason to get Win 8, sabotage your own product....

Horus
@comcast.net

2 recommendations

Horus

Anon

I know this is a joke, but it's really not.

I deeply regret having 8.1 on my computer. Windows 8 came stock on it, and I REALLY REALLY dislike it. It seems to me almost like a complete spying OS for the NSA to know EVERYTHING you do. Most users won't know how to create offline profiles, so most people are logging in with their Microsoft Accounts. This keeps track of every website you visit through cookies and such, just like how google does with gmail while logged in... EVERYTHING is recorded. Then you have your Windows cloud storage, yeah... like I trust Microsoft with my files after all the backdoors they have had in the past. With Microsoft being one of the major companies that has always helped the government, I highly distrust their operating systems any more.

Not to mention the TERRIBLE setup. It's made for touchscreen only basically. Which really sucks because of the main load screen being a pain in the ass. Sure I can change some settings to make it autoload the desktop, but that's so effing stupid! Who the hell on a desktop or laptop would use the "Apps"? Why not just use regular games and programs? At first I thought the concept of a single Operating System for all their devices was a BRILLIANT plan. Now I'm seeing how bad of a facepalm move it is. No more start button, the side bar stuff gets on my nerves. I could go on and on about all the little things that add up to a big pile of poop OS.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

4 recommendations

jaykaykay to siljaline

MVM

to siljaline
Thank you for that article. I am going to a lot of trouble to merely upgrade to Windows 7 rather than 8 by having to add more memory to my present system in order to leave XP. It may sound a little back asswards, but I refuse to go to 8 or its ilk before being totally forced to do so. Of course, being one of those creatures of habit, I don't download without checking things out first and certainly do not apply to our computer. I am more than happy to see this thread or I would have saved it until I am soon set up with 7 and then gone for it. I am sorely dissappointed with MS, generally having gotten along with it over the years. This is just plain wrong of them.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

trparky

Premium Member

If the supposed Update 2 fixes Windows 8.1, and by fix I mean add a real Start Menu and allows Store Apps (Metro Apps) to run in a window, then I will consider upgrading to Windows 8.1. But not before.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

2 recommendations

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

I'd rather considering waiting for Win 9 instead, and hope they didn't keep many of the mistakes of Win 8. There should be an apology letting with each 8.1 U2 update saying they're sorry for being stupid. Even Stardock fixed most of the problems Microsoft created with Win 8.0, but it's going to take Microsoft two years to do it?

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

Oh, I'm not denying that Microsoft should issue a public apology for... being stupid.

Yeah, I know... Stardock fixed Windows 8 to the point where's it's close to being usable. I have a Windows 8.1 installation for testing purposes installed in a VM. Installing Start8, ModernMIX, and WindowBlinds makes Windows 8/8.1 half-way decent.

I'm just hoping that Microsoft fixes Windows 8.1 before Windows 9 comes out.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

2 edits

norwegian to a href

Premium Member

to a href
said by a href:

Nice try, Microsoft. If I was crazy enough to switch to Win 8, I'd fresh install it anyway, not upgrade.

+1

People like to not mess with their system because of how it is set up and third party license concerns and will upgrade, or because of low funds to buy a full license.
They do not understand the driver problem because it is never advertised by Microsoft of this issue when upgrading.
(At least I've not remembered if it is advertised in plain sight.)
The "fix it" jobs will rise short term for the IT market.

Edit: grammar

dean corso
human.exe
join:2007-09-07

dean corso to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
Wish I saw this sooner. Uninstalled on Win7 Pro 64 and hidden.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 recommendations

Davesnothere to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

....Even Stardock fixed most of the problems Microsoft created with Win 8.0, but it's going to take Microsoft two years to do it?

It's completely INSANE that a small 3rd party software vendor can rise so quickly to the occasion of fixing the Win 8 UI, and that the original s/w vendor cannot or will not !

Pentangle
With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium Member
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC

Pentangle to dean corso

Premium Member

to dean corso
said by dean corso:

Wish I saw this sooner. Uninstalled on Win7 Pro 64 and hidden.

Did the same...at least the uninstall was easy.

runnoft
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

runnoft to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
Nuts. They never got me with the Bing Bar, but I bit on this update. Thanks for the heads up. For anybody else who needs a refresher course on removing an update, it's done from Control Panel > Programs and Features, not from Windows Update. Remember to Hide it later when it reappears in Windows Update by right-clicking it and selecting Hide Update.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
To add to the confusion -

Don't like Windows now? Wait a few months for the upgrade
Rumors about Windows 8.1 updates and Windows 9 indicate Microsoft is serious about stepping up its development pace
quote:
If rumors can be believed -- and absent clear communications out of Redmond, rumors will be parsed and passed on at a feverish rate -- Microsoft is serious about stepping up the pace of Windows development. It's yet another sign that the new Microsoft is finally getting with the times. [...]
»www.infoworld.com/t/micr ··· e-241273

ballznutz
join:2014-04-26

ballznutz to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
I could be wrong, but this seems more likely to be indicative of a soon-to-be Windows 7 SP2 (Service Pack 2). I vaguely remember similar language for an update not long before SP1. And a similar update my sister refused to install before XP's SP3, the results of which were disastrous. I would assume that the upgrade disc/installer for Windows 8 or 8.1 would include any necessary precursors for the upgrade or at least download them itself.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
None of the Win7 computers in my house are being offered the upgrade.
dave

dave to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

It's completely INSANE that a small 3rd party software vendor can rise so quickly to the occasion of fixing the Win 8 UI, and that the original s/w vendor cannot or will not !

Hardly insane - if a software maker has a strong vision for what they want a product to be, it's quite insane to do something that takes it in the opposite direction. If you want software with conceptual integrity, you have to say 'no' sometimes.

Clearly there's no technical difficulty in this. This is about design intent.

Don't get me wrong, I don't much like the Win8 UI, and it's probably pretty stupid for Microsoft to ignore a large section of the user base. But this is not because they "can't" do anything. The "will not" part of your post is the applicable one.

runnoft
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

runnoft to ballznutz

Premium Member

to ballznutz
said by ballznutz:

I could be wrong, but this seems more likely to be indicative of a soon-to-be Windows 7 SP2 (Service Pack 2). I vaguely remember similar language for an update not long before SP1. And a similar update my sister refused to install before XP's SP3, the results of which were disastrous. I would assume that the upgrade disc/installer for Windows 8 or 8.1 would include any necessary precursors for the upgrade or at least download them itself.

Could be, but aren't Service Packs considered "updates," not "upgrades?" "Upgrade... to the latest version of Windows" would refer to 8.x, not 7.x.