uniqs
metalunna
join:2003-06-16
Clifton, NJ

4 edits

metalunna

[Networking] DynDNS not updating

Hi,
Just need someone to please spot check their Actiontec's DynDNS.
I monitor 2 actiontec devices (different locations..different DYN host names - One is a Rev. F one is a Rev. I)

I have the paid version of DYNDNS - not even sure if they have the free anymore

Tonight I noticed that the DYNDNS is not updating in the Actiontec..I'm getting "Not Updated - No response from dyndns.org"

My account is in good standing on DYNDNS, and I can even authenticate on another web device using both host names. So it seems that the only the Actiontec's are not communicating with DYNDNS.

**EDIT - I deleted and recreated the DYNDNS host in both Actiontec devices - no luck..Rebooted both devices as well.

**Edit 2 - I just checked a 2rd remote device..A Linksys with Tomato - Authenticated and updated. No Issues

Anyone else?

Thanks
Expand your moderator at work
metalunna

metalunna

Re: [Networking] DynDNS not updating

I checked the Actontec logs and I see the following entries after I try to manually update within the device:
Apr 23 08:52:30 2014 System Log Message No response from server
Apr 23 08:52:30 2014 System Log Message Error connecting to host
Apr 23 08:52:30 2014 System Log Message estream_connect_ssl_efd 39: failed ssl connetion

The first thing that caught my eye was the mis-spelling of "Connection"
My second thought was "SSL"..even though I have SSL set to NONE. Maybe this is heartbleed issues and DynDNS is preventing any connections from certain devices?
dewdude
pfSense on xcp-ng Asterisk geek
join:2010-03-27
Manassas, VA
·voip.ms
(Software) pfSense
(Software) DD-WRT

1 recommendation

dewdude to metalunna

to metalunna
Years ago someone at DynDNS (the guy that started/was running it in fact) told me never use the update software built in to routers (at that time). He said they often usually break things. For the record, the Actiontec DynDNS code apparently doesn't work at all anymore. My Rev I. update doesn't work either. I've been meaning to contact them asking if they have any idea why this is. I don't see Verizon making much effort to actually fix this functionality.

It has nothing to do with your account standing at dyndns.

And for the record, DynDNS dropped the free accounts entirely in the last two weeks or so. The only exceptions are the grandfathered "donor" accounts and some special accounts that date back to the 90s.

But I'll contact them and find out if they know why.

mike101
@verizon.net

mike101 to metalunna

Anon

to metalunna
Same issue here. Called Verizon tech support. They had no clue what I was talking about!
metalunna
Clifton, NJ

metalunna

I have an email to dyndns support to see if anything has come across their desk. I don't anticipate much from them as other devices are updating.
For now I have another web device setup to update dyndns..just tested..took a few minutes to update. I just like having the router as the primary since it's the first to know of an actual ip change.
Thanks for checking
dewdude
Manassas, VA
·voip.ms
(Software) pfSense
(Software) DD-WRT

dewdude to metalunna

to metalunna

Same issue here. Called Verizon tech support. They had no clue what I was talking about!

This doesn't surprise me. I have a feeling Actiontec added dyndns support for the generic versions of the router and that Verizon didn't strip out or left in for business customers. The average home user doesn't have a need for dynamic DNS that doesn't involve running some kind of server, which we all know isn't allowed on residential accounts. This is why I said Verizon would likely never be up for making it work; if anything they have a reason to go through and remove that from the menu the same way they made the UPnP page disappear and non-functional even when directly accessed.

I have an email to dyndns support to see if anything has come across their desk. I don't anticipate much from them as other devices are updating.

I'm not sure what the operations are like over there if they even keep track of what does what. So much has changed since I started using them 15 years ago. I'll try to track down some people and see what's up if you don't hear anything.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

3 recommendations

NOYB

Premium Member

said by dewdude:

The average home user doesn't have a need for dynamic DNS that doesn't involve running some kind of server, which we all know isn't allowed on residential accounts.

There are many legitimate reasons for accessing the home network not involving running a "server".

Marty
@verizon.net

Marty

Anon

I am running into the same problem as well. Have a client using dyndns to access his camera system remotely as well as his home automation. sometime in the last 3 days the public ip address changed so he called us to troubleshoot since he needed to be able to check his house from Florida. Of course I discovered the Actiontec router was not able to update the dyndns, only after manually updating the dyndns entry through dyndns.com's management page was I able to get things working, at least until the public ip address changes again. I called Verizon and they said "our DNS is working fine" and to call actiontec at this number 877-992-3392. If you call that number it tells you that only a Verizon Technician can initiate a conference call with actiontec support -_- I started checking other clients and so far out of the 5 clients with Verizon FIOS routers, all 5 are failing to update dyndns. I've checked with our Time Warner and Cablevision customers and they work as expected so it is either a Verizon problem or an Actiontec problem, neither of which have good support. And if it is an Actiontec Does anyone know of a way that I can put a Verizon router into bridge mode so I can put a 3rd party router behind it and not rely on Verizon or Actiontec actually knowing what they're doing? Thanks in advance. BTW all our clients are in Manhattan/North Jersey in case this turns out to be a regional issue. Good luck everyone.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by Marty :

Does anyone know of a way that I can put a Verizon router into bridge mode

»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

sprintex
@verizon.net

sprintex

Anon

Same Problem here, Called Verizon tech support, they conferenced me in with action tech. Actiontech said everything is set up fine, so it must be a dyndns issue. I contacted Dyndns and they said it was nothing on their side. I ended up just installing the client on one of my hosts until it gets fixed.

Marty
@verizon.net

Marty to More Fiber

Anon

to More Fiber
Awesome FAQ, thanks More Fiber. Going to put our own router as the primary behind the actiontec and use that to update the dyndns record.
metalunna
Clifton, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

metalunna

Got an update from DynDns:
Apparently because of Heartbleed, they had up update their SSL certificates.
The actiontec is not picking up/not able to pick up the new Cert.

They obviously wont help any further (cant blame them) and they recommend I use their update client.

While thus is ok and I get what happened, I still like the idea of my router managing the update and not a PC. Oh well..at least we know why its happening

For now I have my other web device updating..its a little slow, but it does the job

Tokidoki
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

2 recommendations

Tokidoki to dewdude

Premium Member

to dewdude
said by dewdude:

The average home user doesn't have a need for dynamic DNS that doesn't involve running some kind of server, which we all know isn't allowed on residential accounts.

I have several family members, some with dsl, I have setup with dynamic dns so I can easily remember their address for remote connection so I can help with problems and they don't have to worry about looking up their IP. I also have it on my end so I can view my home security camera. Tell us again how the average user don't need it because it's only used to run servers, which aren't allowed. Thanks.
metalunna
Clifton, NJ

metalunna

Technically those are all remote services hosted up by web servers..albeit not web servers in the technical sense. But that is splitting hairs..and I suppose they could all fall under "servers" as they are serving data to a remote connection. But I know where you are coming from.

Tokidoki
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

1 recommendation

Tokidoki to metalunna

Premium Member

to metalunna
Yes, technically many things could qualify as being a server but definitely should get the gist of it. Running basic p2p application for legal reason is a valid use of ddns.
metalunna
Clifton, NJ

metalunna

My reply sounded a little punchy..sorry..but the TOS are really limiting as far as the term "server". I think years ago the term server was thought of as a huge physical server that served up web sites and other data...today, just about every device on the net is a server..heck, even syncing a folder to Dropbox essentially turns your pc into a file server..a SlingBox is a server..a webcam is a server..a vnc connection is a server...even the home security functions that verizon offers turns your thermostat, and webcams into servers...so the term server is thrown around loosely and if verizon wanted to enforce it, I suppose they could..but even that dude a few months ago who served up terabytes of data on,y really got a slap on the wrist

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

said by metalunna:

My reply sounded a little punchy..sorry..but the TOS are really limiting as far as the term "server". I think years ago the term server was thought of as a huge physical server that served up web sites and other data...today, just about every device on the net is a server..heck, even syncing a folder to Dropbox essentially turns your pc into a file server..a SlingBox is a server..a webcam is a server..a vnc connection is a server...even the home security functions that verizon offers turns your thermostat, and webcams into servers...so the term server is thrown around loosely and if verizon wanted to enforce it, I suppose they could..but even that dude a few months ago who served up terabytes of data on,y really got a slap on the wrist

Let's not forget: Xbox and PlayStation. Those practically require you to host something from your home in order for online services to work properly. Tons of games out there complain if port forwarding or NAT isn't working quite right.
NEnglandNole
join:2013-02-08
Framingham, MA

NEnglandNole to metalunna

to metalunna
FYI, DynDns.org is shutting down their free services very soon. I've switched over to duckdns.org.
dewdude
Manassas, VA
·voip.ms
(Software) pfSense
(Software) DD-WRT

1 edit

1 recommendation

dewdude to metalunna

to metalunna
said by Tokidoki:

Running basic p2p application for legal reason is a valid use of ddns.

What peer-to-peer system are you using that requires ddns? Most of those, unless you're hosting the service, don't need ddns.
said by metalunna:

but the TOS are really limiting as far as the term "server".

This really is the largest issue; what exactly constitutes a server. Google revised their stuff to cover servers only for commercial use. Does Verizon secretly not care if you're not pulling a ton of bandwidth and running non-commercial?

Technically, just about anything can be a server or daemon. VNC, VPN, SSH...one could argue that those technically are servers. There's a daemon process running on a piece of hardware for each one. They are for the most part "private", as in the services aren't accessible to everyone.
said by Tokidoki:

I have setup with dynamic dns so I can easily remember their address for remote connection so I can help with problems and they don't have to worry about looking up their IP.

Another blurred line here. Technically remote services could be a server; even if you're VPNing in...it's a grey area and Verizon's non-enforcement of things like that may last forever, may not.
said by metalunna:

Technically those are all remote services hosted up by web servers..albeit not web servers in the technical sense.

Yeah....are they servers under the AUP because they are serving data...or is it fine since you have to access it through a web-service.
said by metalunna:

a SlingBox is a server

It sure is! It's an interactive server at that, plus it streams audio/video from your cable box! But you can't access it by directly hitting my IP ...that's not how the software works. You're directed to it through a web-service that authenticates your client for you. I've run at least one on my connection since 2011...and often make heavy use of it; both ports are exposed and open...but Verizon has never noticed/checked/cared.
said by metalunna:

home security functions that verizon offers turns your thermostat, and webcams into servers

Right, but you're paying an extra fee for Verizon to do that; so those services would be exempt from the TOS to begin with. If you bought all your own stuff to to the same; if they found out would they consider that a server?
said by metalunna:

.but even that dude a few months ago who served up terabytes of data on,y really got a slap on the wrist

What really shocked me about that is he admitted he was running servers; and all they were concerned about was his bandwidth usage. While I'm sure this isn't meant to be taken as official policy; maybe if it's non profit/private/family they don't care.

My original statement was one I'm sure someone around Verizon could make...probably some kind of lawyer if they were involved; and with the way the corporate world works...it wouldn't surprise me if they refused to fix it because someone made the argument "there's no reason for a home user to have that feature". We can all argue reasons as to why...even I run a VPN so I can tunnel in to my local network; but till someone at Verizon actually defines what constitutes a prohibited server...we can only speculate.
said by NEnglandNole:

FYI, DynDns.org is shutting down their free services very soon.

All except for the very old accounts that donated money years ago.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

A long time ago, speed limits were enforced for several reasons. 1. Most people abided by them and the violators were fairly easy to spot, and even then, most violators respected the enforcement. 2. There were enough enforcement officers. 3. Violations provided a nice stream of funding.

It all started to change with Carter's 55 mph mandate because of the gas crunch. High gas mileage cars had no performance. By the time you get to today's high mileage cars with high performance, plus combine the anarchist "anything goes until you get caught" thinking that seems to pervade modern society, plus combine not enough enforcement officers spread out too thin, speed limits don't mean so much these days. Just look at how people drive. How air conditioning contributes to unlawful speeding is the subject of another discussion entirely, but I believe it's a significant factor.

My point, to bring it back to the server topic: speed limit laws are still on the books, and can be enforced, and can be used to sanction violators. Are they? Not as much these days, it seems.

When VZ decides to sanction some users, they can invoke the TOS language that refers to network degradation, servers, and excessive usage. Since this is not detailed, it's a gray area. VZ has something that they can point to when they impose sanction. I don't think VZ cares so much about servers as such, but about what those servers do. So, while not specified, I'd imagine commercial use on residential service would end up sanctioned once the red flags were raised. It appears most folks would not have to worry about server use.

All those server that have been mentioned, such as cameras, private ftp, and many others, are fairly common and would be typically ignored under those parameters. An ISP with a more restrictive upload bandwidth might scrutinize usage differently.
said by dewdude:

said by metalunna:

a SlingBox is a server

It sure is! It's an interactive server at that, plus it streams audio/video from your cable box! But you can't access it by directly hitting my IP ...that's not how the software works. You're directed to it through a web-service that authenticates your client for you.

One of the things I've felt are too much overdone are the server systems that, by software design, must only go through a centralized system. Some webcams of various manufacture come to mind. What a great method to check up on usage patterns. Why the manufacturer has to get in on it makes no sense. Older Slingbox software permitted direct access as long as the address is specified. For ease of use, you could get its location through the central server, but other addresses could be resolved. Not so any more for Sling.

To bring it back to the original topic, that's why I maintain my dyndns address. I can use other providers, but DynDNS was one of the first. Certainly the most ubiquitous.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB to metalunna

Premium Member

to metalunna

I use pfSense on an old notebook as a router, and have it's RFC 2136 dynamic DNS client configured to update my own DNS directly. No more reliance on some third party dynamic DNS system.

Still have DynDNS updating for backup just in case. But the RFC 2136 update has never fail yet.
tvdrew
join:2008-08-20
Washington, DC

tvdrew to metalunna

to metalunna
said by metalunna:

Technically those are all remote services hosted up by web servers..albeit not web servers in the technical sense. But that is splitting hairs..and I suppose they could all fall under "servers" as they are serving data to a remote connection. But I know where you are coming from.

Wouldn't an upload to youtube also constitute a "server" under that broad definition?
dewdude
Manassas, VA
·voip.ms
(Software) pfSense
(Software) DD-WRT

dewdude to birdfeedr

to birdfeedr
said by birdfeedr:

Older Slingbox software permitted direct access as long as the address is specified. For ease of use, you could get its location through the central server, but other addresses could be resolved. Not so any more for Sling.

The older SlingPlayer application would allow to specify a IP and attempt a direct connection. I'm not sure if this is how it was done pre 2011 or not.

The newer units won't work with the older software at all, both in the fact they aren't supported nor do you actually set a real password with the Slingbox itself. I had complained about this new tactic when I got my 350 unit to Sling...especially the night the Sling servers went down and I was unable to authenticate to watch a slingbox on my LAN. It was finally explained to me by someone at Sling that the switch was mostly a CYA tactic to please the "copyright police"...of course my personal opinion is they did this to control the app market and make a few extra bucks.

However, with the capability of streaming about 8mbps per unit, I'm sure that could eat up quite a bit of bandwidth in a month. I share one of mine so there are often times BOTH are streaming out to the internet at the same time.

But you're right. It's likely a thing of Verizon doesn't care untill they have a reason to, and the TOS language is vague enough they can use it how they see fit. I ran an HTTPD off my DSL for most of the 9 years I was on it without issue. My original GTEi TOS made no mention of servers at all...and I'm sure at some point it was updated when Verizon fully took over..I just never bothered to read it.
metalunna
Clifton, NJ

metalunna to tvdrew

to tvdrew

I suppose it would be..Also take into consideration that I'm also just being a pain in the butt and being devil's advocate.

The Internet has changed exponentially since the good old days when, if you ran an IRC server or Quake host you were blamed by your peers when it took them 5 minutes to download a picture or .WAV file.

I suppose this is just the right time to read over the TOS and get the facts and terminology straight.. Oh who am I kidding? SCROLL SCROLL SCROLL - Accept.
said by tvdrew:

Wouldn't an upload to youtube also constitute a "server" under that broad definition?

adamsfour
@98.118.241.x

adamsfour

Anon

The bottom line is it not working and using a PC application won't really work as I travel a lot so if the address changes while I am on travel I have no real way to fix it as I can't reach my router to update it. Telling me to call Verizon is a bit of a joke as it a Verizon Dyn issue. So much for customer support

aml321
@108.17.126.x

aml321 to Marty

Anon

to Marty
I pay $40 for two years for DYNDNS and was able to use Dynamic DNS until recently, FYI, DYNDNS has software to run on your PC that will automatically contact the DYNDNS server to update it, They also have Linux, Mac, and other versions, I haven't tried it yet but, plan to put it on a Raspberry pi that I have on my system.

jarablue
Always be true to yourself
join:2001-06-11
Worcester, MA

jarablue to metalunna

to metalunna
Has this been fixed? Using dyndns's software client causes a 10 - 15 second delay in logging onto Win 8.1 systems. The network connection is not available on the login screen until the client does whatever it's doing. Removing the client, I can login to my desk instantly.

This kinda sucks. I have a paid standard dns account and use my own domain name to access everything at home.

Hope they fix this soon.
metalunna
Clifton, NJ

metalunna

Not fixed yet.. Looks like an Actiontec/FiOS issue. The SSL certs were updated by DYNDNS and a firmware update is needed by the router to accept the new certificates. That's the story I believe most (even though I have other hardware devices that update) so I'll just patiently wait for the next firmware update from FiOS and hope it's addressed..if not, I'll just continue to grumble.
sparky007
join:2011-08-25
Phoenix, AZ

sparky007 to metalunna

to metalunna
I'm not sure... But I think it matters on what port your using.. If port 80 is blocked, then it probably won't work.

I use dyndns and I use a different port than port 80 since port 80 is blocked for home servers.