Search similar:

uniqs
SemperFi78
join:2011-03-04
Marion, IA

1 edit

SemperFi78

CenturyLink - Wet lines?

So had a CL tech at my house to investigate the unstable Internet service I've had for the past 3 weeks. He replaced the guts of the box outside because he said it looked like it might have got hit by lightning at some point and that seemed to improve the signal but not by much. He replaced the old Qwest branded Q1000 modem I had with one of the CL branded C1000s. That didn't help. He then went down the street and checked the node and switched me to a different port to see if that fixes the problem. Sure enough that fixed the problem. He then explained that the problem is the line I am on is "wet" and switched me back. He said another CL crew would be out in a few days that have the proper equipment to pinpoint the problem area in the lines and fix it. He said there were several "wet" lines in that node so it likely wasn't just me having problems. What does it mean for a line to be "wet"?
at0mik
Premium Member
join:2014-04-22
Austin, TX

at0mik

Premium Member

It means likely what you think. Water made it into the DSLAM (a big box that connects customers in the area) and likely got into the port. This can happen to any ISP that provides physical lines. Fiber included. Water is no good for signals to travel through.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to SemperFi78

Premium Member

to SemperFi78
Do you have a home phone as well?
SemperFi78
Marion, IA

SemperFi78

said by ptrowski:

Do you have a home phone as well?

yes
SemperFi78

SemperFi78 to at0mik

to at0mik
said by at0mik:

It means likely what you think. Water made it into the DSLAM (a big box that connects customers in the area) and likely got into the port. This can happen to any ISP that provides physical lines. Fiber included. Water is no good for signals to travel through.

So DSLAM = Node and Port = Phone Line to my house?

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

No, the DSLAM is where the pairs feeding your neighborhood terminate for Data services at.

It sounds more like the F2's have been chewed somewhere, letting in moisture.
SemperFi78
Marion, IA

SemperFi78

said by OSUGoose:

No, the DSLAM is where the pairs feeding your neighborhood terminate for Data services at.

It sounds more like the F2's have been chewed somewhere, letting in moisture.

So then is it Node -> DSLAM -> My House (and others around me)?

The tech did mention that there might be some termination issues down the line somewhere also. I presume at the DSLAM then. So the port that he switched then would have controlled everyone connected to the same DSLAM I am on then?

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose

Sigh,

Central Office ----(F1's)---->RT/DSLAM--(Often these are right next to each other so very short run)--SAI----(F2's)----->Home

The SAI is probably what is being referred to a node, or the RT is, depending on how far out you are from the CO.
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

Thank you for this explanation and diagram -- a lot of people don't actually know all of this terminology. Also, a lot of times people are using different words for the same thing, such as SAI/Crossbox. and RT/DSLAM/VRAD.

One other thing, I wish I could remember the exact reference, but central offices connected to buried utilities have the ability to push water out of the lines, but the feeder 2 loops and local loops (after the SAI/crossbox, leading up to your house) don't necessarily have that luxury, so as indicated, it could well just be some moisture in some underground wiring, probably relatively close to your house. It may even be the wiring from the pedestal to your house, and the solution for that might just be to replace that part of the loop.
SemperFi78
Marion, IA

SemperFi78

said by coryw:

Thank you for this explanation and diagram -- a lot of people don't actually know all of this terminology. Also, a lot of times people are using different words for the same thing, such as SAI/Crossbox. and RT/DSLAM/VRAD.

One other thing, I wish I could remember the exact reference, but central offices connected to buried utilities have the ability to push water out of the lines, but the feeder 2 loops and local loops (after the SAI/crossbox, leading up to your house) don't necessarily have that luxury, so as indicated, it could well just be some moisture in some underground wiring, probably relatively close to your house. It may even be the wiring from the pedestal to your house, and the solution for that might just be to replace that part of the loop.

Yes exactly. Although I have a decent understanding and working knowledge of networking in general I'm not familiar with DSL architectures and it doesn't help when 5 different people will use 5 different terms for the same thing. Arghhh!!

The tech in this case never used the term DSLAM. He just said he was heading over to the node 2 blocks away to change the port to a different one.

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to coryw

to coryw
There are some pressurized F2 pairs, but mostly in older areas or downtown.