ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean

Re: The Strain Teaser FX

Ok this show has officially gotten too dumb..........I'm sorry but that's not entertaining.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Ok this show has officially gotten too dumb..........I'm sorry but that's not entertaining.

Can you expand on that a bit? What did you find dumb and not entertaining?

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
Yeah, a little expansion would be good, mostly because I find some of the dumb stuff very entertaining.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
Ok ,1st the religiously fanatic wife grabs a set of beads and prays for her obviously messed up husband [who should have been in the hospital weeks ago].........then this airhead finds her dead dog and still goes looking for the freak husband and finds him messed up in the shed,then she turns demonic and feeds the freaking neighbor to her freak husband.

Cmon............enough already.

And never mind the three stooges who find the pilot in the basement and scream watch out for the blood..........then proceed to bash his skull in with a fire hydrant,and then during the autopsy,pull this thing out with blood and guts everywhere.

No blood being splattered around there is there?

Then the pawn shop guy is chopping their heads off and wiping his sword with a freaking rag............no `contagious virus there is there?

I don't give a dam if it's only tv..........

Too f------g stupid..........almost as dumb as Under the Dumb!!!!!

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

I don't know man, those sound like pretty small gripes to me plot-hole wise. Maybe not the most brilliant writing but the plot gave a reason for every one of those actions.

The religious lady killed the guy who was about to call the cops in order to protect her husband. Kinda weird but you already had the sense she might not be playing with a full deck. Plus she seemed to be getting a little sick herself. Death by fire hydrant was in a kill-or-be-killed moment, the autopsy was done in the basement because it had to be done quickly and in secrecy, and chopping vampires' heads off is how Van Hogwarts knows to kill them, and said so a couple times before. Full surgical gear wouldn't make much sense in these situations.

Not saying it's the next coming of Shakespeare but I'm willing to suspend my disbelief a bit when watching a show about a vampire worm epidemic. I find a ton of shows too stupid to watch, but this isn't one of them yet. I was thinking of picking up the novels in between seasons.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

I watched the last two episodes back to back. The latest one was the best IMO because there was more action and less character development. Eph attempting to manipulate his son and thus manipulate the outcome of the custody hearing was something of a new low IMO. So I was glad that there was none of that family related anticlimactic quagmire in the last ep.

In the book I believe it was explained that the Wife of the infected husband was totally dependent on him and not quite right. In an odd way it actually kind of makes sense that the Wife would protect her husband beyond reason given her uncommon attachment / dependency. Interestingly enough, the husband even in his advanced stage, protected her by chaining himself up in the shed.

Not sure about the infected white / opaque blood but all indications seem to be that incidental contact with the blood itself isn't necessarily hazardous. Its contact with either a parasitical worm in the blood or contact with an infected host / vampire (ie attack which presumably injects the parasite via the new appendage). So no airborne or bodily fluid transmitted virus.

It stands to reason though that the pilot's transmuted body would have been riddled with the little buggers and an autopsy would have been very hazardous. Much like the autopsy in an earlier episode where the removal of an organ had the medical examiner fighting to pull a parasite out of his hand (breached the latex glove).

The show is actually gearing up to be more of what I want to see and less of what I don't want to see.

Looking forward to next episode,.....

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008

Premium Member

The Pilot was riddled with the worms while he was still laying in the hospital bed, they saw them with the UV light before he escaped and went downstairs. And judging by the living worms in the heart that Van Hogwarts (can't remember his name, so I'm going with what works here ) had, they can live inside dead organs for a while if they get a little food every so often. I'm going to say the autopsy was a bad idea. It looked really cool though.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Yeah definitely good point. But you know the old trope for villains in fiction...they are only as strong as they need to be to to advance the plot.

»tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwi ··· NeedToBe

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
I saw the latest episode last night. Pretty good. I will have to accept that the wife of the infected guy is not completely sane/competent. A couple of episodes ago when he was drinking bloody steak and his eyes were all red, I kept thinking "how can you just say ok its ok". Anyway, Walder Frey (aka Van Hogwarts) did say that you had to make sure to kill the worms. When the pilot died and there were little worms squirming around, I kept thinking 'why aren't you stepping on them?' And while Eph's partner did back out, I think she will be back. I was disappointed the exterminator was not in it this week. And I am starting to wonder why we keep seeing the hispanic guy. I guess he will have a role too.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
Finally watched last Sunday's episode. Two questions whose answers turned out to be related were resolved: Where the bodies of the airplane passengers went and why the rats are leaving the sewers.

I hope Walder Frey gets to use his sword at least once per episode.

We also learned some more vampire rules in this universe, e.g., silver, vibrating reflections in the mirror (instead of the classic no-reflection).

It looks like Samwise might be the character who redeems himself through an act that probably costs him his life (just picking from my collection of stock characters).

Grimm
join:2011-05-23

Grimm

Also got the reason Eph drives that Land Rover, which I know was someone's pet peeve earlier in this thread.

One thing that struck me as odd in this episode is that the one dude's wife seemed super religious and yet she still committed suicide.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008

Premium Member

I thought that was odd too, but she was both religious and crazy. I guess she literally couldn't live without her husband?

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

1 recommendation

juilinsandar to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
Great TV show. I watched a mini marathon of all the episodes before watching last weekends episode, and I only wish that it was a Netflix show so that the whole season would have been available for binge viewing.

SixOfNine
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine

Premium Member

The Eichorst character is interesting. He's a full-blown vamp, but he retains his mental faculties, unlike all of the newly infected.

And hey, check out all of the cartoon and gaming voice work that Robin Atkin Downes, "The Master," has done, including Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H., The Clone Wars, Wildstar, Bioshock Infinite, Diablo III, Elder Scrolls Online, and more:

»www.imdb.com/name/nm0235 ··· t_cl_t12 '

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
Renewed for season 2

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin

Premium Member

Good. Although like many shows there are problems I have. Such as why didn't the exterminator guy notify the police about the people in the sewer or what happened to the people in the office. Or when the medical examiner guy attacked people in the middle of the street, or the attack in the senior center, it didn't cause a panic or someone didn't tape it and post it on youtube or some other public outcry of the attacks?

But I like the show overall.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
Good news. It's a pretty good show
Rook008

Rook008 to Voxxjin

Premium Member

to Voxxjin
Or why the cab driver in the latest episode didn't drive away and instead got out of the cab and started shooting? That whole scene was pretty dumb.

Anyway, the vampire ninjas at the end of the episode kind of made up for the occasional dumb stuff in the episode.
Phillip
I Need A Nap
join:2004-12-21
Hatboro, PA

Phillip to Voxxjin

to Voxxjin
said by Voxxjin:

Or when the medical examiner guy attacked people in the middle of the street, or the attack in the senior center, it didn't cause a panic or someone didn't tape it and post it on youtube or some other public outcry of the attacks?

The guy that had the transplant, hired a girl to jam/take out the internet and dns servers networking the city. They also had her take down the cell phone infrastructure as well.

But I still think the news would pick it up at some point.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008

Premium Member

I'm pretty sure it would have been picked up, since two LEO's got killed and a prisoner escaped.

SixOfNine
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine to Rook008

Premium Member

to Rook008
said by Rook008:

Or why the cab driver in the latest episode didn't drive away and instead got out of the cab and started shooting? That whole scene was pretty dumb.

Anyway, the vampire ninjas at the end of the episode kind of made up for the occasional dumb stuff in the episode.

Yes, the vampire ninjas certainly added an interesting twist. Yet another "strain."

In the difficult-to-swallow department, the cops arresting the two guys in the alley while ignoring their "victim" with the six-foot long tongue reminded me of professional wrestling referees.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
The last episode was pretty interesting in that there was some major action and the group finally came together, although it was a little too coincidental that the hacker was in the same gas station mini-mart that the group went to to get disposable cell phones.
I also thought it was cool how quickly Fet killed Kent when Eph wouldn't do it. Every group needs a Shane, I think.

SixOfNine
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine

Premium Member

I agree on that coincidence. There was also some more useful lore picked up, particularly the Borg-like behavior controlled by The Master.

It will be interesting what the ninjas' story is -- perhaps a small percentage can't be controlled.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008

Premium Member

Yeah, I want to know more about the Ninjas too.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
Just finished episode 11, this show is just keeps pimping those cliff hangers.

EQ

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to TwiztedZero

Premium Member

to TwiztedZero
Just finished a binge watch, pretty damn good if you ask me.

The Master does kinda of remind me of the Master from BVS, but much more horrific looking.

It was shot in Toronto, and one of the things I noticed is that the episodes were not shot in order. There were scenes were it's obviously quite cold (we had a very cold winter last year) and lots of snow, yet a few episodes later the snow (and slush to go with it) was gone. Every time they went back to Eph's house there was snow but no where else.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

I actually have been meaning to pick this up, and have all the episodes backlogged for me to watch.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

It's not so much a "keep you on the edge of your seat" type show, but it certainly has it's moments and quite entertaining.