spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ajmorgan
join:2008-02-13
Roseburg, OR

ajmorgan

[CATV] CATV privacy

When Charter implements all digital, or any of the other providers for that matter, I can assume that all of my viewing will be recorded in a database. It seems like they will record what channels were watched, for how long, and by which set top box as well. The information could be sold to advertisers along with my email address. Or, viewing habits can reveal political or religious views based on the viewing profile. I also suppose there will be policies that supposedly control that in addition to promises.

But I wonder if there are any technical ways to put teeth into those promises - say by blocking or confusing that information?

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy

Anon

You're worried about this now? Digital cable boxes have been used with Charter for years. If you are worried about this I suggest ditching pay Tv and going OTA. Also why are you even on the internet if you're worried about privacy? Your fears are overblown.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to ajmorgan

to ajmorgan
said by ajmorgan:

When Charter implements all digital, or any of the other providers for that matter, I can assume that all of my viewing will be recorded in a database. It seems like they will record what channels were watched, for how long, and by which set top box as well. The information could be sold to advertisers along with my email address. Or, viewing habits can reveal political or religious views based on the viewing profile. I also suppose there will be policies that supposedly control that in addition to promises.

But I wonder if there are any technical ways to put teeth into those promises - say by blocking or confusing that information?

If they use that data, they have to disclose it. And, if they do I can guarantee it will be anonymized at least to the zip code level (IE: they'll know X number of people watched American Idol in a certain zip code, but that's as specific as they'll get)

A quick reading of their privacy policy states that's the extent of how they use your data. It also says you can opt-out of having your name included on mailing lists, but those mailing lists won't include your viewing habits

»www.charter.com/browse/c ··· tprivacy

Just read that carefully. They have to disclose how they use your data.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to ajmorgan

to ajmorgan
If you're worried about this switch to DirecTV and do not connect the phone line or internet connection. It will be 100% receive only.
ajmorgan
join:2008-02-13
Roseburg, OR

ajmorgan to mixdup

to mixdup
Thanks. Charter has always treated me fine so it's not an anti-Charter rant, just a question.

It occurred to me that I can just turn off my 3 TVs but leave the set top boxes always on MSNBC 24x7 to confuse things. Then, the time I spend on the shooting sports will only be .01% of the time.

I suppose another poster above had it right also: Privacy is dead, get over it.
ajmorgan

ajmorgan to mixdup

to mixdup
Thanks for the link. I suppose that when they "share" the information, they get paid for it.
Expand your moderator at work
mj3431
join:2003-04-21
STL, MO

mj3431 to ajmorgan

to ajmorgan

Re: [CATV] CATV privacy

Google has been tracking browsing habits and targeting ads for years... I don't think I would worry about the cable company.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

defiant to ajmorgan

to ajmorgan
If you're really concerned, look at Charter's terms of service and privacy policy.
Expand your moderator at work