spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alittleghost

join:2014-04-22

How do you delete history from a router?

I have an Asus router, and while it's great, it's extremely hard to figure out. I'd like to clear the usage history, but at the same time, I don't want to make this glaringly obvious. Would unplugging the computer and router clear up the router?

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
What model of Asus router is it?

What firmware is it running? The asus stock or tomato or other? Which version?

alittleghost

The model is RT-N56U. I'm not quite positive on the firmware, though I believe it is Asus as well.

enon

@216.151.180.x
What led you to believe your router is retaining your history? Almost no SOHO "routers" (more appropriately: gateway) have any facility for logging usage. They simply are not equipped with the storage memory to do so.
Expand your moderator at work

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
reply to alittleghost

Re: How do you delete history from a router?

Maybe the OP is reffering to the routers logs.

There usually is a "clear log".

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
reply to alittleghost
If you would set your computer to use a specific DNS server like 8.8.8.8 the router would not be used as the DNS server thus would not log the DNS lookups.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

reply to alittleghost
I am not that familiar with stock asus firmware (tomato guy here)... but by glancing at the manual it would appear that if it has this feature, it would be on the "Traffic Manager" tab.

»www.asus.com/Networking/RTN56U/H···_Manual/

alittleghost

Thank you very much, everybody.

I do most of my browsing from a device, and I was a bit nervous (paranoid) that someone would be able to just hack in and look at user logs.

vvcag

join:2014-04-25
US
I have the same problem..

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to alittleghost
id be more worried about the dirt the device retains if you are tinfoil hatting over the issue. a home router does not retain anything close to what your browser does.

That said never fear if you think you missed something, the NSA has its metadata safely stored in Utah.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

guiltyconsci

@myvzw.com
if the stuff yer browsing is that bad or can get you into trouble, yoully shouldnt be lookin at it.. if its some pron or something, only your fone keeps such logs. but if its worse than pron, you've already been logged by the people that give a shit, and its too late.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

id be more worried about the dirt the device retains if you are tinfoil hatting over the issue. a home router does not retain anything close to what your browser does.

That said never fear if you think you missed something, the NSA has its metadata safely stored in Utah.

I agree entirely. I would run updated or third party firmware to minimize DNS redirection exploit vulnerabilities and hacking.

If LE agencies want browsing data they can image your HDD and analyze the contents and in addition will make a request/warrant to your ISP who will provide the info.
You cannot expect any privacy.