join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

1 edit

Koil

Premium Member

Official Dark Souls 2 Thread

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· mI_2IVQ8

The OFFICIAL thread, damnit!

Figured I would go ahead and get a thread started for this. Not sure how much interest there is, but I'm buying it today.

To kick things off, here is a 25% off coupon for the game from GMG, making the total $37.50. They originally posted a 20% off, and posted the 25% off later. Here are both, should they be required.

25% Off: J4XXU2-JTFTLL-8ENDXZ

20% Off: OFU76E-1C6RHK-OX6OMC
Koil

Koil

Premium Member

Click for full size
Aww yeah...

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

1 edit

3 recommendations

Ghastlyone to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
You need to rename this thread "Dark Souls 2 is Pure Shit".

It'll for sure get more views and responses.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

lol....I should have thought of that.

Well, I guess we can wait for the first bitch thread and make that one the official thread.
Koil

Koil

Premium Member

Dark Souls 2 PC tweak guide - »www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/ ··· g-guide/

PC Gamer article by Peter "Durante" Thoman, the guy who did the DSfix mod for Dark Souls, and some other stuff.

================================

Another article by Durante, giving his initial thoughts on the game and interesting performance comparisons:

Dark Souls 2 PC port: mod god Durante's verdict - »www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/ ··· verdict/

DS1 vs DS2 Comparison Chart:

Performance

Before jumping into the options, a quick word on performance. I originally intended to provide measurements and graphs here, but Dark Souls 2 generally performs so well on my system that there’s no need. With all in-game settings maximized and rendering at 2560x1440, I never noticed a single drop below 60 FPS on my PC (equipped with a Core i7 920 CPU and Geforce GTX770 GPU). In fact, the GPU was generally below 60% loaded in order to maintain that framerate. Even medium-range systems should easily maintain a solid framerate, particularly at the more common 1920x1080 resolution.

Another relevant aspect of game performance which is independent of framerates is the length of loading times, which is particularly relevant for Dark Souls 2 in light of their distracting duration in the console versions. The PC version, with maximized settings, consistently loads in 3-4 seconds from my traditional 7200 RPM HDD, and presumably installing the game to an SSD could further lower these times.

Koil

Koil

Premium Member

Dark Souls II on PC unlocks on Steam at the following times:
4/24 - - 3:00 PM PDT
4/24 - - 6:00 PM EDT

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

1 recommendation

Goggalor

Premium Member

I've been playing on PS3 and it plays just like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, so it'll be just like hopping back on a bike for you, Koil. I would even venture to say that it is easier than Dark Souls, since they added other healing options outside of the Estus Flask (and I haven't found any bullshit areas like Anor Lando with the two f*cking archers shooting down at you while you run up at them on a narrow f*cking walkway).

Magic still rules the game, by the way.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

lawl @ archers.

Right on...obviously, I'm amp'd about it...I saw some people making recommendations on the starting equipment from the pre-launch. I'm gonna have to take a look at it again and see whats worth taking.

How is the weapon / armor dealt out...slow trickle or lots of choices?

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

said by Koil:

How is the weapon / armor dealt out...slow trickle or lots of choices?

If you're asking because you're looking to do a Deprived run, it is fairly sparse in the beginning. You will have to run the first area after the starting area a few different times to get enough souls to buy armor from a vendor in Majula. It is the usual not much in the beginning like in the previous games.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

Welp, I guess I was the only one excited about this..lol.

Really enjoying the game, thus far. It feels more of a continuation of DS than a bigger and better sequel. Those looking for enhanced graphics aren't going to find them here, but the game play is rock solid, and yes, difficult.

I've had a few throw the fucking controller moments. Areas are more populated now than I remember DS being, so a lot more clearing to do when you die...frustrating at points, but expected. But, that leads me to my first gripe of the game. They've made it now so that if you kill a mob 15 times or so, it stops respawning. Whether this was done to dissuade people from farming souls, or to make it easier if someone is just getting owned in a particular zone, I don't know, but I don't think I like it. It feels like it takes its foot of your throat, which is kind of what I like about the game.

Boss fights...and hell, a lot of normal baddie encounters, are epic as shit. DS continues to deliver on the panic'd adrenalin / endorphin rush. Finally making your way to a boss, slugging it out and finally capping his ass after he's beat you into paste 10x before is so fucking gratifying. It also delivers on the crushing defeat of losing 10k souls 30 miles away from your bonfire.

I'm currently about level 40, I think...maybe 50...just got the full Hex set, which is pretty damn nice (I'm playing Sorcerer, btw). Going pure caster for the moment, but will likely do another run with a more hybrid character.

Although they supposedly made kb/m viable this go 'round...you're gonna wanna use a gamepad. I just can't imagine playing it on the kb/m with all of the sudden and reactionary movements.

I'm stuck currently at the Executioners Chariot, which is fucking insane. I've gotten close to knocking his ass off, and taken out one of the necro's, but being caster, those skellies hurt and can't really be ignored as much as melee / shield characters may be able to do. Will continue plodding along.

Really recommend this if you're a fan...like I said, nothing overly huge and different engine wise, but the game play is rock solid and delivers that same DS feel in spades.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

said by Koil:

I've had a few throw the fucking controller moments. Areas are more populated now than I remember DS being, so a lot more clearing to do when you die...frustrating at points, but expected. But, that leads me to my first gripe of the game. They've made it now so that if you kill a mob 15 times or so, it stops respawning. Whether this was done to dissuade people from farming souls, or to make it easier if someone is just getting owned in a particular zone, I don't know, but I don't think I like it. It feels like it takes its foot of your throat, which is kind of what I like about the game.

I believe they did it as a combination of both of those reasons, Koil. However, you can always use a bonfire ascetic if you want the enemies to respawn...
said by Koil:

I'm currently about level 40, I think...maybe 50...just got the full Hex set, which is pretty damn nice (I'm playing Sorcerer, btw). Going pure caster for the moment, but will likely do another run with a more hybrid character.

Oh, you're one of those people. Pure melee or go home.
said by Koil:

I'm stuck currently at the Executioners Chariot, which is fucking insane. I've gotten close to knocking his ass off, and taken out one of the necro's, but being caster, those skellies hurt and can't really be ignored as much as melee / shield characters may be able to do. Will continue plodding along.

I'm currently soul level 117 or so and I have not made it to the Chariot yet. The last area that I made it to was Shrine of Amana, as I'm taking my time with the game (or I'm just really slow).
said by Koil:

Really recommend this if you're a fan...like I said, nothing overly huge and different engine wise, but the game play is rock solid and delivers that same DS feel in spades.

Agreed.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

1 edit

Koil

Premium Member

said by Goggalor:

I believe they did it as a combination of both of those reasons, Koil. However, you can always use a bonfire ascetic if you want the enemies to respawn...

I'm already struggling enough...don't need juiced up zombies whipping my ass, too

Oh, you're one of those people. Pure melee or go home.

lol...I always go caster as my first class in any game.

I'm currently soul level 117 or so and I have not made it to the Chariot yet. The last area that I made it to was Shrine of Amana, as I'm taking my time with the game (or I'm just really slow).

I just kinda wander here and there, so just made progress in that area, but left a few other areas unexplored as of yet, so its not that I'm really far...I just push one way until I can't go further, then go find another area to explore. Think I'm going to give up on this guy for now and come back later....headed to the Wharf now, as I never messed with it much earlier.

-edited for spelling, Captain--

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

1 recommendation

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by Koil:

.headed to the Whorf now, as I never messed with it much earlier.

I wouldn't recommend messing with the Worf.

Can't wait to try this game, but I'm afraid it will be awhile. Stuck on ESO and about to get real busy with school. Looks good though.

That is a weird choice about the mobs not spawning after you've killed them a certain number of times. In a franchise whose sole claim to fame is that it is difficult, I find it odd they are toning the difficulty down in each sequel.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

Literally threw the controller last night. Fucking wharf area is goddamn hard. Cleared pretty much the entire area, and was making my way towards the ship that rolls in, when I get ambushed / dropped on by one of warriors there. 2 shots me. I was so far in, I must have had 15k in souls, and can't go back as I didn't wanna clear all that shit again, so bam....and of course I die trying to get back to it. Fuckers.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

1 recommendation

TheBionic to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
GMG has another 25% code up that will work on Dark Souls 2 (as well as Wildstar, Tropico 5, Bound By Flame, Murdered: Souls Suspects, War of the Vikings, Warlock 2, and Starbound):

9HZ09L-D4RYEU-FIW8BE

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
Koil, if you want to make the area a little easier, I recommend using a Pharros Lockstone in the area where there are 3 warriors and a dog outside of a house that has two archers on the roof. It will light a brazier, that in turn lights a bunch of smaller ones that will drive away most of the crazy long arm f*ckers.

Also, careful when you are going to board the ship as one of the warriors will creep up from nowhere (I never saw where he was hiding at). Then there are another 4 or 5 of the warriors before you get to the boss.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

Yeah, I'd already used the stone, which is indeed very helpful...I was initially pissed that I'd used it there, as I thought it a waste, but definitely see the value.

Thanks for the heads up on the ship....heading back into the wharf now...gotta try and clear all that shit again.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

The boss on there was a pushover for melee, so it may be a little more difficult for a caster.

I completely missed Undead Purgatory somehow... looks like I have some backtracking to do.
Goggalor

Goggalor to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
I went back and found the Executioner's Chariot and, I must say, I was overleveled for it. If I remember correctly, I four-shot him (two-handing a Great Club+10).

Finally made it to the Ancient Dragon last night and that mother is a pain in the arse... go fig for an optional boss.

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

I made a lot of progress last night...cleared 3-4 bosses. Went back and cleared Old Dragonrider, the 3 skeleton lords, and the 3 sentinels or whatever they're called. Normally don't use phantoms, but actually had a good time with them last night, as the last 2 fights are extremely tough...esp as a caster. Enjoyed it and leveled up quite a bit.

I may go back now and see if I can do anything with the Executioner. It wasn't even really the level...not sure, but it was more about the skellies keeping me from getting to the Necros...I'm sure it's just me being familiar. I'll give it another shot tonight prolly

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

Don't worry about the skeletons. Just run past them to the necros, otherwise the necros will keep bringing the skeletons right back into the fight. Once the necros are downed, you can work on the skeletons.

As for summoning phantoms, I'm having more fun using them in this game, as most folks are fairly polite in that they will wave/bow when entering your world and when leaving (if you kill the boss).

Koil
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

Yeah, thats what I was trying to do, but the little fuckers were still hitting the shit out of me...almost can't ignore them. Like I said, I'll prolly just have to figure out the mechanic a bit more, but from my earlier runs, even if I just run straight past them, they're staggered enough in the hallway that by the time I get to the necro, and try to hide, they're gang raping me in the alcove as the chariot rolls by.

Man....I was in the somethin-belfry yesterday, which is evindently a invasion hot spot....I got invaded more times there than i did the entire time in DS. This was the first time I'd been invaded at all in this game....but it was actually fun for a bit. 2 guys kept coming in...not sure if working together or just kept picking the same place to invade, but on 3 seperate matchs of 2v1, I took at least 1 out each time....never got em both though, but was fun trying.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Awesome. I remember the first black phantom I saw in DS. He came running at me, he looked very impressive and I wasn't expecting it so I freaked out big time and ran for some reason. he chased me for a while then I thought 'WTH am I doing?' and turned around to fight. I kicked his ass HARD, he barely got a lick in. LOL

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
There are four spots like that: Belfy Luna, the Grave of Saints, Belfry Sol, and Doors of Pharros. Both Belfries are tied to a singular covenant and as are the Grave of Saints and Doors of Pharros. The Belfries will randomly summon from the covenant to "protect" the area (or if you're a part of the covenant, you can be summoned). As for the other two, it is sided in the favor of the person that is part of the covenant as the mobs in the area won't attack the covenant member. Plus, the covenant member has access to traps in the area to attack you. Most people just do those two areas offline if they're looking to progress quickly.

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

2 edits

TRU

I've been playing Dark Souls II as well and I am really enjoying it! I don't know if it's better than Dark Souls I but I certainly appreciate the improved graphics (albeit not leaps and bounds better) and higher video settings. Aside from the cosmetic improvements it's still Dark Souls and that's not a bad thing at all. The Dark Souls series has quickly became one of my favorite IP's these last few years. I purchased and started playing DSI a couple years ago on PC and fell in love it. Waited for DSII and also enjoy it as well.

Some people don't like the little changes they added in Dark Souls II but I've actually appreciated them. Some quick changes from the previous game that I actually like better is the new bonfire quick-travel system, and no longer feeling like I have to grind for souls hours and hours on end. The grinding in Dark Souls I really got old after I spent so much time playing in the same area and killing the same enemies simply for the sake of gathering souls. Then rinse and repeat. I'm glad that's over with (atleast until I jump back into DSI). The game now feels like it's continually progressing and I'm getting the opportunity just to explore.

I've put around 12 hours into my Knight thus far. And I've just finished clearing out No-Mans Wharf (fascinating and intimidating area to be sure). I paused my progress and put the game up for a break just before fighting the Flexile Boss. I'm going to take that a-hole on once I get home tonight!

EDIT: So I've been home for about 15 mins and I immediately started up the game. Just finished off the Flexile Boss. This boss is probably one of the more easier bosses I've played in the game thus far.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

He gets a little harder on NG+ because he has two minions that hop down and help him (they drop the Shadow Armor set that looks like a ninja... except for the helmet).

I finally downed the Ancient Dragon yesterday after about three hours of attempts. F*** that boss with a spiked codpiece in the face. The fight just has so much RNG...

The boss one-shots you with any of his moves, which is not that big of the deal most of the time. He has one move that kills everyone; it is the one where he flies up and shoots fire down at the platform that you're fighting him on. This move would be fine if he went straight up and came straight back down. However, he can go forward, backward, or straight up when he does the Rain of Fire (the name the community has given the move) and it covers about 1/4-1/3 of the arena.

Thus, this fight boils down to pure RNG and not your skill.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
Started playing this yesterday...yeah. It's frustrating.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

said by TheBionic:

Started playing this yesterday...yeah. It's frustrating.

Yes, my drunk gaming is now restricted to pinball.