Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike

Mod

Tim Cook to piss investors off more

Besides the excellent logistics and retail operations (aka record profits - »www.apple.com/pr/library ··· lts.html)... Apple will be doing a Stock Split (wtf) and do even more stock buy back (bye money).

»www.apple.com/pr/library ··· ion.html

I wonder if someone accidentally uploaded Android firmware to Tim Cook?

Since we're in a backwards market, APPL is up 7% today.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Why do you think a stock split and buy-back are anti-investor? Seems like it was pretty well received, and it's not unheard of for Apple to do splits.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike

Mod

Couple reasons.

Apple does splits but they're overdoing it. Volume is 468.1 billion at 524.75 per share.

Isn't that maybe... a little too diluted?

Then they are buying it back. So they just want to lower the price...

Look at the opposite.. Berkshire Hathaway is at at $190,800 per class A share.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

IIRC Steve Jobs was opposed to splits because the higher per-share price means that, among other things, option contracts (which are based on the even lot 100 share number) get extraordinarily more expensive. This limits speculation on Apple and, one would hope, price swings unrelated to actual company performance.

The counter argument is that stock splits increase retail investor participation, as retail investors may not have $500 a month to put into the stock market, but they will have $71. Increased retail investor participation both increases the pool of available investors, putting upward pressure on price, and has the potential to limit the holdings of large funds, allowing apple to more easily ignore them.

Traditionally, stock splits are seen as an optimistic sign, leading to higher prices for the same ownership share of a company, which would lead to higher prices for the buy back, not lower (for the same number of dollars invested).

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

2 recommendations

gjrhine to Mike

to Mike
Tim Cook wrong and AAPL up 7% in the same post. Awesome.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to Mike

to Mike
One sign of a company that thinks it's going to do well is when they do 1) a split and 2) buy their own shares. The three or four times that happened to stocks I owned, I 3x and 4x my money.

I wish I owned Apple stock.

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium Member
join:2000-12-14
Uranus

Homunculus to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
So. 7-1 stock split.

I had shares when they did a 2-1 split, and still do. I'm not unhappy about this at all. So x my shares by 7?

Wonder if they will keep the dividend going through 2015 as well... Call me short-sighted but I sure wouldn't complain.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Cook (paraphrasing): Expect "annual dividend increases".

Sounds like it's here to stay, and at 8% increase, that's not bad at all...

Edit: Although, I'm not sure if he meant annual 8% increases or just some annual increase. Probably just "some".

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium Member
join:2000-12-14
Uranus

Homunculus

Premium Member

Yeah, probably meant some. 8% year over year would be pretty significant, even for Apple.

Is it August yet?

Tex Longhorn
45-35
MVM
join:2001-01-05
Luckenbach

Tex Longhorn to Daemon

MVM

to Daemon
Jobs presided over two stock splits. One in 2000 when the pre-split price was around $100/share and another in 2005 when the pre-split price was about $90/share.
Daemon
Premium Member
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

said by Tex Longhorn:

Jobs presided over two stock splits. One in 2000 when the pre-split price was around $100/share and another in 2005 when the pre-split price was about $90/share.

But, when Apple stock heated up substantially after the release of the iPhone, he was queried a number of times by analysts about splitting it again, and IIRC, responded with something like what I put in my earlier post.

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy to Tex Longhorn

Premium Member

to Tex Longhorn
said by Tex Longhorn:

Just curious where you got those numbers. In 2000 and 2005 too I think the stock price was maybe around $30.
Daemon
Premium Member
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

said by BellBoy:

said by Tex Longhorn:

Just curious where you got those numbers. In 2000 and 2005 too I think the stock price was maybe around $30.

Yahoo finance has the details. »finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s ··· 2005&g=m

Look at the left side columns, and not the "adjusted close" pricing on the right.

Tex Longhorn
45-35
MVM
join:2001-01-05
Luckenbach

Tex Longhorn to BellBoy

MVM

to BellBoy

From Quicken 2007. Apple stock owner since 1999.

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird
join:2001-12-12
The Meadow

Ugly to Mike

to Mike
Let's try to end guessing and speculation on motives with some commonly known facts.

Many US companies claim that share buybacks are intended to serve the financial interests of their existing shareholders, by creating demand to maintain market price and reduce supply. This means more earnings and dividends per share, which are both further supportive of market price. That is an acknowledged premise of share buybacks and fairly uncontroversial.

Many argue the artificially low interest rate environment that facilitates the borrowing at low costs to facilitate such buybacks is a form of corporate welfare and a transfer of wealth from savers and pensioners, via loss of purchasing power, to such large companies and their shareholders. This too appears quite reasonable. Indeed, one might ask oneself two further questions. 1. Would (or did) companies borrow to finance share buybacks in a former market-based rate environment not that long ago? Exactly! Not so much. 2. Why are there no better opportunities, with greater returns offered for a company's investment of capital? Many observe a constrained and manipulated market and a heavily regulated operating environment with extreme regulatory uncertainty combine to make a safe investment in stock buybacks the last best choice for any CEO who wants to keep his job.

You see, the intended and likely benefit to AAPL of a split is that this will directly lead to institutional demand to buy and hold Apple shares. This will do many times more for the price and CEO's performance than any self-funded buyback ever could. If and when AAPL is included within a major index, say the US DJII, aka the Dow 30, then dozens of mutual funds with trillions of dollars in AUM will immediately be forced to buy AAPL shares. Apple has grown so large that organic growth is severely limited by the Law of Large Numbers.

As the company matures, an institutional ownership will serve to stabilize the price and somewhat protect the company and CEO from inevitable market turbulence that would far exceed even the cash reserves of Apple and their small (by comparison) share buybacks. The comparison of institutional ownership to a self-funded buyback is on the scale of a few orders of magnitude (zeros added on the end of a number) difference. Cook knows what he's doing. This approach makes sense and appears to have a pretty good chance to succeed.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

Majestik to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
Sold my 1400 shares at $701 on a trailing stop. (I've learned to be fearful when others are greedy)
Stock splits,dividends and some buy backs are the best things to happen to investments.
Reverse splits are scary.

neuronbob
Cavs NBA Champs 2016
join:2000-03-30
Bedford, OH

neuronbob to Mike

to Mike
This now-longtime AAPL stockholder is ecstatic about the stock split.

*rubs hands together in anticipation of eventual profit*