@verizon.net

therocketman

Anon

[Connection Sharing] Extending Verizon Wired Network

Click for full size
Before
Click for full size
After
Hi guys, I was curious if someone could give me some feedback on my possible network expansion.

So the current network is mostly unchanged from Verizon's installation. The optical box is by the garage, with a MoCA line running into an adjacent room, to the Verizon Actiontec router and then over Ethernet to a separate Asus router acting as an access point for WiFi (Actiontec handles DHCP, PF, etc). A second MoCA line runs the back of the house into the family room where it simply hooks into the Verizon set top box.

The main requirement I have for the network is to have hard wired connection to the TV in the family room, I think I can do this with a Coax splitter and MoCA/Ethernet bridge based on what this FAQ post outlines: »Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

My question is, can I knock out two birds with one stone and split the MoCA twice and have another run go upstairs into a bedroom, into another MoCA/Ethernet bridge? The network would still have only one STB and the bridges would most likely be connected to switches. If for some reason I wanted to add to the wireless network on that side of the house it would only be in the form of another access point.

This is a little out of my comfort zone and I don't know if it is even possible, if or how it would effect DHCP, and any ramifications in terms of the user agreement. I would greatly appreciate any input.

Cheers,
Ian
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27

Your better off posting this in the Verizon forum. Not here. And FYI there are walk throughs in the FAQs under Verizon for this.