spc
Search similar:

uniqs
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

VRAD Goes Camping

I don't have U-Verse service, but this forum always seems an entertaining read, and it seems a lot of people are quite knowledgeable about the infrastructure and equipment.

A friend of mine in North Carolina recently sent me this picture of a VRAD in a tent: »i.imgur.com/3zrihtM.jpg

Has anybody seen AT&T do something like this before?

KA0OUV
Premium Member
join:2010-02-17
Jefferson City, MO

KA0OUV

Premium Member

Yes. All too often.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to coryw

to coryw
I've seen it on many VRADs around here. Maybe not once they were turned up, but during installation. Maybe they are splicing/terminating fiber, although they often leave enough of a service loop to do that inside a truck. Maybe it rains while they're working. Not much of an issue in Flagstaff, I'm guessing?

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to coryw

Premium Member

to coryw
Yup, they do that here also. Usually either to provide shelter from the sun or rain, and sometimes as a temporary cover if the box has somehow been damaged (car, vandals, etc.)

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386 to coryw

to coryw
I do the same on MANY cabinets I work on.

My first choice is always just a canopy over the work area. That way it blocks the sun, but allows air flow around me.

My second option is the full tent. I use this when the mosquitos and sand gnats are swarming. The down side is it restricts air flow.

My third options is to lather myself in bug repellent, sweat my buns off, and deal with what the day provides
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

I don't specifically hunt down work happening to RTs in my area, (I live in a Qwest area and a friend in an AT&T region who knows I like to look at infrastructure sent me this image) but it makes sense that they'd do something like this.
said by ArgMeMatey:

Not much of an issue in Flagstaff, I'm guessing?

It does rain here, and we have about six months of fairly harsh winter each year, often featuring about a foot of snow at a time, plus build up.

Fortunately, whenever they can, the crossboxes and RTs are fairly well off the road, either in utility alleyways/spines behind houses or just set back a fair bit off the road. The few crossboxes that are really "close" to the road are either up on an embankment or just on a road with such a low speed limit that it's unlikely somebody will run their car into it.