spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Studly
join:2006-12-06
Lakeville, MN

Studly

Re: Outgoing calls on LocalPhone don't connect

Man, I'm having one problem after another. OK, when trying to enter the sip password, I went to the Obi settings via the web portal and unchecked both boxes, and then entered the sip password, submitted the changes and it looks like it sticks. But then when I exit out of Obi Expert Config, and go back in, and recheck what I saved, it is no longer there. Instead it is blank and it's changes so the device default box is checked. All the other changes stick but not the one below.

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthPassword : (sip password)
RonR
join:2003-10-10
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

It sounds like a lot of your problems may be coming from fighting the OBiTALK web portal. Are you willing to troubleshoot and reconfigure the OBi by accessing it directly instead? Don't worry about losing any settings you currently have in place as they can be reconstructed.
Studly
Lakeville, MN

Studly

Yes, I'll have to look up how to access it directly and reenter things. Everything sticks except the SIP password, but I noticed in all my other entries, that the same thing happens when setting SIP passwords for other providers, such as Call centric. Yet CallCentric still works and LP still works on certain calls when the SIP password field is left blank. Weird.

Anyway, I'll enter the settings directly and see if that helps. Also, LP is doing an engineering trace on my line now to see if they can find out anything on their end.
Studly

Studly to RonR

to RonR
Ok, as an update, I got logged into the direct access to the Obi202 and the SIP password was in there, so even though it wasn't showing on the ObiTalk Web Portal version of my settings, it was showing correctly in the direct access version of my settings. I also did a reset to Obi defaults and re-entered Ron's recommended settings above, and also did the latest firmware upgrade.

Still no luck, and my outbound calls on LP actually seem worse. Now I'm getting many busy signals when dialing, an occasional recording that says "no response from service provider" when making a call that doesn't go through, and then other calls go through fine, and still others do the rings until someone answers and then it disconnects.

Would Obi's call status/history screens give me any clue as to what is going on? For instance, I saw this error entry on several calls: "486 Concurrent Call Limit Exceeded"
Studly

Studly to RonR

to RonR
Regarding my Obi202 not working when in front of the router, it is set to the default of DHCP being enabled. Is that how it should be set to use it in front of the router?

Thanks again to everyone for the help!!
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

DHCP is correct for the OBi202 Internet/WAN settings.

Did you remove (delete) the OBi202 from the OBiTALK web portal PRIOR to resetting the OBi to factory defaults? If not, the OBiTALK web portal will immediately reconfigure the OBi with the portal's settings.
Studly
Lakeville, MN

Studly

Yes, I did the reset to default on the Obitalk web portal before reconfiguring directly to the Obi. But thanks for double checking.

Obi support got back to me on this problem and suggested I turn off SIP-ALG on my router. I tried, but my router doesn't give me that option. Think I'll try to find more info on how I can get the Obi202 to work when directly connected to my cable modem, and then my router connected downstream from my Obi. Would like to have my internet connection go from modem to Obi to router, in that order.
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

What is the make and model number of your cable modem?
Studly
Lakeville, MN

Studly

It's a Linksys E2000 cable modem.
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

The Linksys E2000 is a wireless router, not a cable modem.
Studly
Lakeville, MN

Studly

Sorry, had my brand names mixed up. Yes, that is my router. My cable Modem is a Motorola SB6121.
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

There shouldn't be a problem connecting an OBi directly to a Motorola SB6121. There have been a few reports of problems with OBi's being connected to devices with gigabit Ethernet ports (which the Motorola SB6121 has).

Since we know the OBi gets along with the LAN ports of your Linksys E2000, temporarily use it as an Ethernet switch:

1. Disconnect all devices from the Linksys E2000 LAN ports except for the OBi202.

2. Connect the Motorola SB6121 to one of the LAN ports of the Linksys E2000 (instead of the WAN port).

3. Connect your PC to the LAN port of the OBi202.

After power cycling everything, see if the OBi can call **9 222 222 222. If so, proceed with testing Localphone.
Studly
Lakeville, MN

Studly

Thanks again for looking into this, Ron. Will give it a try and report back.
Studly

Studly to RonR

to RonR
Good news, when I was working through your instructions, Ron, to try the new setup on the router, I had an idea and tried switched out the cable that I had been using from the modem to the Obi, which never made a connection. A different cable worked and now I can connect the Obi directly to the modem and I get a connection. Must have been a cable problem, even though the previous cable I used looked fine. My first test call went well and now I'll work on a lot more test calls. Thanks much for sticking with me through all this and for all your suggestions and help!!
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

That's good news!

If calls work properly with the OBi connected directly to the modem and the problems return when you put the router back in the loop, it'll be pretty clear that the router is the culprit.

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

cb14 to Studly

to Studly
that's what I thought. NAT/router/gateway issues are the most frequent reasons why people give up on VOIP. You are lucky having a cable modem so you did not have to mess with DMZ like many of us have to who are less lucky and have a proprietary gateway.
mitchflorida
join:2004-09-01
Deerfield Beach, FL

2 edits

mitchflorida to Studly

to Studly
I had the exact same problem, especially if you are using a UVerse 2-Wire Router firewall. The solution involves connecting Obi to a public STUN Server. You can google search for the details. You have to set it up in OBI.

cb14
Miami Beach, FL

cb14

said by mitchflorida:

I had the exact same problem, especially if you are using a UVerse 2-Wire Router firewall. The solution involves connecting Obi to a public STUN Server. You can google search for the details. You have to set it up in OBI.

True about the 2 wire u verse.
However, STUN did not work for me at all and made things actually worse.
mitchflorida
join:2004-09-01
Deerfield Beach, FL

mitchflorida

Did you get it working? If not you may have set up the STUN server wrong or not entered it into Obi correctly. it should work one way or the other.

cb14
Miami Beach, FL

cb14

said by mitchflorida:

Did you get it working? If not you may have set up the STUN server wrong or not entered it into Obi correctly. it should work one way or the other.

Not with STUN. Setting up a STUN server is a simple thing. There is not that much you can do wrong there. It simply does NOT work for me ( and a number of other people).BTW, even if it works, STUN has it's own issues, as discussed on this forum in the past.
Studly
Lakeville, MN

Studly

Just an update. About the time I figured out how to move my Obi202 so it's in front of the server, LP also got back to me saying they fixed a problem on their end. Since then I've had no more problems. LP said one of their downstream carriers wasn't following protocol and was limiting the number of calls that could get through from LP. They said that would have accounted for my problems getting busy signals when the lines I was calling weren't really busy.

For the other problem, where when I called someone it would ring their phone, and once they answered, I'd get disconnected, I think that problem was fixed when I eliminated the router from the mix, and put the Obi before the router.

Thanks everyone for the help!
nonso5000
join:2014-05-04
cyprus

nonso5000 to RonR

to RonR
RonR Please i can i receive incoming call on my viop from non viop carriers phone. i receive calls from Viop carriers but cannot receive from non carriers. assistance pls
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

said by nonso5000:

RonR Please i can i receive incoming call on my viop from non viop carriers phone. i receive calls from Viop carriers but cannot receive from non carriers. assistance pls

You'll need to state your problem more clearly. I don't understand what you're saying above.
Expand your moderator at work
giqcass
join:2014-03-10

giqcass to Studly

to Studly

Re: Outgoing calls on LocalPhone don't connect

I think that is the default however SP3 can be set to use any Profile. You better check under Voice Services >>> SP3 Service >>> X_ServProvProfile = C.
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

The default X_ServProvProfile on ALL SP Service channels is 'A'.