uniqs

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad

Premium Member

VPS Recommendations

Can anyone recommend a good VPS host. I'm looking to move my websites over (a couple of WordPress sites and a forum site) from an overpowered and overly expensive dedicated server to a much more financially-friendly VPS server. I'd need about 10GB of disk space (though more would be better) and 2GB of RAM. I'd prefer Linux, but would accept Windows if the price was right. I'd also prefer to have CPanel access.

stray
join:2000-01-16
Warren, NJ

stray

Be aware that a VPS Cpanel license will net out to about $10/mo... probably more than the VPS itself. VirtualMin is the most popular free control panel.

Reliable and cheap: Iniz, Ramnode, BuyVM, Crissic... watch for special offers featured on »lowendbox.com/

If you can define some additional parameters, I could probably make a more specific recommendation: Location, OpenVZ/KVM/Xen, Managed/Unmanaged, SSD?, IPV6?, additional IPs, Bandwidth, CPU cores, RAM vs. swap, DCMA non-compliance?, etc...

If your websites don't have a huge amount of traffic (say less than 5,000 pageviews/day) you can probably get away with a 1gb RAM machine, especially if you use Nginx instead of Apache.

TechyDad
Premium Member
USA

TechyDad

Premium Member

Thanks.

The total traffic on the sites are around 50,000 page views per month so we're definitely under 5,000 page views per day. We average around 50GB bandwidth so I'm not too worried about bandwidth concerns. I'd prefer 2 or more CPU cores. Managed would probably be nice but not needed. (We're moving from a $160 a month dedicated server so even a $30-40 a month VPS will be a bargain.) Most of the other items I either don't know enough about (OpenVZ/KVM/Xen) or don't care about (DMCA non-compliance).
TechyDad

TechyDad to stray

Premium Member

to stray
Having read up and thought over some of the options, I think I'd prefer KVM and managed. CPanel would still be nice, but not needed. Thanks for any recommendations you can provide.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB to TechyDad

Premium Member

to TechyDad
RapidVPS with Webmin control panel.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by NOYB:

RapidVPS with Webmin control panel.

Another vote for RapidVPS...been with them for years. Have a dedicated box with them now.

stray
join:2000-01-16
Warren, NJ

stray to TechyDad

to TechyDad
Some suggestions:

Inexpensive, unmanaged, well rated

- Iniz NYC, KVM, 1024mb, 3 cores... $7/mo. I have a couple with them. Been really reliable. »lowendbox.com/blog/iniz- ··· sterdam/

- Crissic Jacksonville - same specs as the Iniz offer above except more bandwidth. $7/mo. »lowendbox.com/blog/criss ··· florida/

If you need ultra high reliability and want to pay more, perhaps Linode or Amazon Web Services would be a good choice. Probably run you about $50/mo.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to TechyDad

Premium Member

to TechyDad
Buyvm.net They are awesome.

TechyDad
Premium Member
USA

TechyDad

Premium Member

They do look good and I've heard great things about them from many people. The only downside is that they are unmanaged and I'm looking for a managed VPS hosting solution.

Has anyone had any experience with KnownHost or tmzVPS?

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

Hmmm... Ok. Well managed is typically way more expensive, yes. You might have mentioned "managed" in your original post.

TechyDad
Premium Member
USA

TechyDad

Premium Member

I'm pretty new to VPS and didn't know the difference between managed/unmanaged until stray mentioned it above and I did some research. I mentioned it in my reply to him.

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

Ian1 to TechyDad

Premium Member

to TechyDad
Go with not managed, and hire me to manage it. My fees are cheap.

dfrandin
Premium Member
join:2002-06-14
Las Vegas, NV

dfrandin to TechyDad

Premium Member

to TechyDad
I have several Xen vps with Virpus, they have excellent prices, and datacenters in either LA or Kansas City. I've been with them for going on a year, and a couple of times I've hit their tech support and it was pretty good.. The apps I run on these vps are pretty cost-sensitive, so I shopped for the best price/reliability I could find and as far as I can see Virpus is it..
Just a happy customer...

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames to TechyDad

Premium Member

to TechyDad
I can host your vps for less than 40$ a month, with everything you need storage-transfer wise. Get back to me!