Search similar:

uniqs
MichaelGraha
join:2007-05-08
Casper, WY

MichaelGraha

dishNET Wireline through CenturyLink.

Hey all

We currently have DSL internet through a local ISP using CenturyLink's line and equipment. I have lots of online accounts using the e-mail I have with local ISP and have a retired aunt that piggy-backs off our account to read e-mail (we also get unlimited dial-up along with our DSL and that is what she uses), so I kind of hate to switch. At the same time I am looking to reduce our cost.

Well in any event Dish Network keeps calling while I am at work to see if we want to add phone and internet to our TV service. After doing some research I discovered that service is really through CenturyLink, as they use their lines. Also I discovered that they cap your internet usage at 10gb per month. That seems like a lot to me, but others have said that is easy to burn through that in no time.

Just wondering if there is any way of knowing how much of this allowance I would use in a typical month. I was hoping that I could pull this up just like with my Verizon smartphone. Anyone if know if there is anyway to track this? I really would like to know before I decide to dishNET is even on option.
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

I don't know what the cap is if you order CL service through Dish, but if you order it directly though CL, it's 150 gigabytes if you have 1.5 megabits/sec, and 250 gigabytes for all faster speed tiers. Fiber+ (Omaha and Las Vegas gigabit fiber) doesn't have a cap, and I believe that Prism/PrismHSI customers aren't capped, but don't quote me on that.

Also, uploads are not capped/counted on residential lines.

Business lines aren't capped, which is a nice way to get away from them bothering you for a bit more, but that depends on what technology you're on and how fast you can go and whether or not you get anywhere close to the cap.

In terms of checking on your cap: Unfortunately there's really not a way to do it. Some of the devices will count, but that count doesn't stick around between reboots, so the best way to get an accurate idea of what you're using is to write down the usage numbers each day. (some third party ADSL2+ modems say that they have this type of usage information, but it was broken on the one I did try.)

TAZ
join:2014-01-03
Tucson, AZ

TAZ to MichaelGraha

to MichaelGraha
Are you sure the cap is 10GB? Dish's standard Internet service is satellite, where a 10GB cap is easily believable, but there does seem to be a different wireline product (which looks like it'd just be resold CL service) and I'd have a hard time believing they'd cap that at 10GB.
gapmn
join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn to MichaelGraha

to MichaelGraha
Why not get Dish through CL ?
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to MichaelGraha

to MichaelGraha
The 10GB cap is only for the actual satellite internet, the DSL is unlimited. I had it for a while but it still ended up being way cheaper for me to go directly through century link (and faster) as DishNet DSL is stuck at a max of 12/896 for $40/mo but i'm paying $30/mo now for 40/5
said by gapmn:

Why not get Dish through CL ?

Because CenturyLink goes through DirecTV now, which is a god-awful company i'd personally never deal with again. The HD was slightly better, but between the shit customer service and contracts for touching anything on the account (like calling to buy an HD box at full price but them extending the contract although i paid $450 for the damn thing), and even the base rates are higher.

Dish has been a much better experience overall, plus the sling box functionality beats anything cable and Direc can even offer to date and the Hopper is by far the best UI i've ever used on any cable/satellite box

I ended up having to take DirecTV to small claims court over the HD box snafu, I wanted to pay full price for the box for a reason -- i did not want a contract with them any longer, i just wanted to add a receiver to my account.
MichaelGraha
join:2007-05-08
Casper, WY

MichaelGraha to gapmn

to gapmn
Correct me if am wrong, but I thought CL was partnering with DirectTV.
MichaelGraha

MichaelGraha to brad152

to brad152
said by brad152:

The 10GB cap is only for the actual satellite internet, the DSL is unlimited. I had it for a while but it still ended up being way cheaper for me to go directly through century link (and faster) as DishNet DSL is stuck at a max of 12/896 for $40/mo but i'm paying $30/mo now for 40/5

That is good to know. I will look to see what their pricing is. Right now I believe that are offering a discount of $35 a month with both phone and internet.
gapmn
join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn to MichaelGraha

to MichaelGraha
Yes, direct TV according to Brad152. I have never had a tv service subscription...way to expensive for the amount of tv I want to watch.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152

That's also why i have Dish, i have a few shows i watch on HBO/Showtime, so i'm able to do "basic" satellite (around 100 channels) with HBO/Showtime, Sling, and whole home DVR for around $45/mo. If it were more i'd cancel it but i feel it's okay for the amount of usage it gets.

Especially since here in the summer it's ~130 outside, it'll get use then for sure.