spc
Search similar:

uniqs

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

cb14

New firmware update for Obi 202

I wonder whether i should do the new firmware update for Obi 202. After the last experience I am a bit cautious. Are there folks here who did this update and were there any problems with it ?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

I noticed the update this morning and went ahead and upgraded. It didn't break anything that I am aware of, unlike last time.

I wonder if this new firmware has a time bomb in it that kills GV capability on May 15.
mrdialup
join:2013-11-17

mrdialup

said by graysonf:

I wonder if this new firmware has a time bomb in it that kills GV capability on May 15.

My thought exactly. Looked at Obihai's site and didn't see notification of it in the Firmware section.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Well, their change logs for firmware have always been lacking.

If the firmware is time bombed and this will be the method they use to shut off Google Voice on their devices, then why would anyone knowingly upgrade to it?
iamhere
join:2013-01-26
canada

iamhere to cb14

to cb14
Maybe they pulled this firmware? I'm still on 4330 and my Obi doesn't detect a new version (via ***6).
RonR
join:2003-10-10
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

***6 has reported "Software update not available" ever since 4350 was posted on the forum. 4350 is still available for download from the forum. I suspect Obihai simply forgot to put the new version on the provisioning server.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

It's on the provisioning server. I saw the yellow triangle in my OBiTALK portal page and did the upgrade from there.
iamhere
join:2013-01-26
canada

iamhere

I don't use OBiTALK. Maybe they have different servers?
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR to graysonf

to graysonf
said by graysonf:

It's on the provisioning server. I saw the yellow triangle in my OBiTALK portal page and did the upgrade from there.

The provisioning server and the OBiTALK web portal are two different entities.
RonR

RonR to iamhere

to iamhere
said by iamhere:

I don't use OBiTALK. Maybe they have different servers?

They do.

cb14
Miami Beach, FL

cb14

So anyone else than my neighbor( downloaded it ?

Alittlegreen
join:2008-07-24
Montreal, QC

Alittlegreen

Yeah... I caved and signed up for Obitalk. and sure enough the big yellow triangle appeared.

I'm sure ths will come as no surprise to many of you, but when i clicked it, it just kep redirecting me to their forum. Had to go back in on the device and naturally enable obitalk.

anyhow, installed the update to 4350. Although i never used GV. i did go through all the options and it seems to still be there.
I wouldn't know anything about time bomb. but if you'd like a screenshot of a particular part i'd be more than happy to provide.
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR to cb14

to cb14
said by cb14:

So anyone else than my neighbor( downloaded it ?

I downloaded it, but I haven't installed it. I think I'll wait until 5/15 to see what happens first.

cb14
Miami Beach, FL

cb14

It's interesting that it was only for 202 and not for 100.
Dan_voip
join:2007-01-03
Saint-Hubert, QC

Dan_voip to graysonf

to graysonf
said by graysonf:

If the firmware is time bombed and this will be the method they use to shut off Google Voice on their devices, then why would anyone knowingly upgrade to it?

I guess Google will change something on their end at that date so even with an old firmware nobody will be able to use GV on Obi. Removing GV settings on Obi's menu will be just a cosmetically thing.
giqcass
join:2014-03-10

giqcass to cb14

to cb14
I grabbed this for my Firmware archive but I have no intention of using it unless it actually adds something useful. The oldest 202 firmware in my archive is OBi202-3-0-0-3184M.fw. I'm always interested in adding to it or sharing if anyone needs something.

I'm still on Oleg approved 3.0.1 (Build: 4142) and it's working just fine for me.
adit7
join:2013-04-02
Oakville, ON

adit7

Oleg's method works as before on 4330 also. They reverted back some changes they did before on that version.
mrdialup

mrdialup to Dan_voip

to Dan_voip
said by Dan_voip:

I guess Google will change something on their end at that date so even with an old firmware nobody will be able to use GV on Obi. Removing GV settings on Obi's menu will be just a cosmetically thing.

On the Voip Users Conference #486 (»www.voipusersconference. ··· hat-now/) Mark from Obi indicated there was no "time bomb" in the firmware. In fact he indicated that XMPP connection ability would remain. Whether you could infer that meant it would still connect to Google Voice after May 14th, well I would say there is a 50/50 chance it might still work.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Care to mention how far into the video Mark made the statements you reported?
mrdialup

1 edit

mrdialup

said by graysonf:

Care to mention how far into the video Mark made the statements you reported?

He didn't make a direct statement. But he didn't deny what Randy said either at one hour, seven minutes.

Edit: I just listened to the video again as I swore I had heard him make a direct statement about XMPP - listen beginning at the twelve minute mark and he confirms that XMPP functionality would remain.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

He said it's going to remain. Not sure what that means though. I intend to use my OBi with GV as primary for outgoing calls until it stops working......whenever that is. At that point I'll do web callbacks and/or begin to use blocks of money I have available for outgoing calls on CWU and Circlenet.
mrdialup

mrdialup

Another subtext I got out of the whole discussion - Think Obihai and nest er I mean home automation.

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg to graysonf

Premium Member

to graysonf
said by graysonf:

I intend to use my OBi with GV as primary for outgoing calls until it stops working......whenever that is. At that point I'll do web callbacks and/or begin to use blocks of money I have available for outgoing calls on CWU and Circlenet.

^^^ This...
mrdialup

mrdialup

said by brg:

^^^ This...

My intuition told me Google would be hard pressed to shut off XMPP on May 14th. That's why I created this thread: »Food For Thought-Top 10 Reasons Not To Port Out of Google Voice

I think when Google chose that date, they thought they would be alot further ahead by now with the WEBRTC transition. At this point they don't even have a Google Voice tie-in to Hangouts on Android (all their own product offerings) so how could they shut off XMPP and still keep things like GV SMS on android still functional?

If GV XMPP is still functional after May 14th, which it looks like it will be, then it could continue to function for a number of months until all the outstanding WEBRTC issues have been sorted out.
taoman
Premium Member
join:2013-09-13
Seattle, WA

taoman

Premium Member

said by mrdialup:

If GV XMPP is still functional after May 14th, which it looks like it will be, then it could continue to function for a number of months until all the outstanding WEBRTC issues have been sorted out.

Surprised to see you say that when you were the one who posted what SteveInWa said from Obi forums who apparently supports Google Voice and is in contact with Google engineers. Apparently you don't believe what he said? It seems more than a coincidence, at least to me, that May 15th will be exactly 1 year since Hangouts was launched.
said by SteveInWa from Obi forums :

Now, here is the key message: Google Chat/Talk and their XMPP protocol, are being shut down permanently on May 15th. This isn't a rumor; it's on track to happen. It has been widely communicated by Google to third parties who Google knew were using XMPP clients. Obihai was one of them.

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg

Premium Member

We will all know what happens when it happens. Everything else is, depending, either informed or uninformed speculation.

All I'm saying, for my part, is that I've been intending all along to do what #graysonf articulated: I "intend to use my OBi with GV as primary for outgoing calls until it stops working......whenever that is. At that point I'll do web callbacks and/or begin to use blocks of money I have available for outgoing calls on" (insert my personal list of VSOPs, which is pretty long)...

My Obi100 is still running old-ish firmware that predates the Obihai announcement, and I believe that I have taken steps to prevent it from being auto-updated. So, if things keep working after Mid-May, cool! If not, Plan B is locked and loaded.
mrdialup

1 edit

mrdialup to taoman

to taoman
said by taoman:

Surprised to see you say that when you were the one who posted what SteveInWa said from Obi forums who apparently supports Google Voice and is in contact with Google engineers. Apparently you don't believe what he said? It seems more than a coincidence, at least to me, that May 15th will be exactly 1 year since Hangouts was launched.

Perhaps you are right and I am ignoring the signs because it's wishful thinking on my part. I just find it hard to believe that a major service like this is changing (or at least believed to be) so dramatically on a certain date when the offerer (Google) has said yes a change will happen on "x" date but has not officially stated in detail what those changes would be. Yeah I know they said XMPP support would cease after May 14th but what does that mean? They never said XMPP services would cease on May 15th. When other players like Yahoo, Microsoft, etc. have dramatically changed service offerings, not only have they been clear on what and when those changes are occurring, they also have clearly stated yes it's dead on this date, put a fork in it or they have provided a future means to use the service or it's replacement. Why is Google being so cagey about this? I have no idea. But by being cagey about it, they just lend to more rumor and speculation failing to recognize they are looked to for definitive decisions and communications which gives their customers faith that the products they count on today, whether free or paid, won't be terminated on a whim.
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

Considering that Obihai categorically stated:

"Recently Google announced the end of support for XMPP based calling with Google Voice. This will happen on May 15, 2014 – that’s over 6 months from today. Since your OBi device uses XMPP to communicate with Google servers, the end of support will directly impact how your OBi device can be used with your Gmail account and its associated Google Voice phone number. Unfortunately, you will no longer be able to use the Google Voice communication service to make calls using the phone connected to your OBi device. Also, the ability to receive calls to your Google Voice number, directly from Google’s service, will not be possible. "

There's very little ambiguity in that statement. If it turns out to be untrue (or made true by Obihai doing something to OBi firmware), there's going to be a LOT of pi$$ed-off OBi users who've been running around like crazy porting numbers and signing up for alternate services being promoted by Obihai.
mrdialup

mrdialup

said by RonR:

There's very little ambiguity in that statement. If it turns out to be untrue (or made true by Obihai doing something to OBi firmware), there's going to be a LOT of pi$$ed-off OBi users who've been running around like crazy porting numbers and signing up for alternate services being promoted by Obihai.

Maybe as part of the NDA that Obi had to sign, they had to make that statement less they face some kind of legal action. Heck if I know.
taoman
Premium Member
join:2013-09-13
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

taoman to cb14

Premium Member

to cb14
said by cb14:

It's interesting that it was only for 202 and not for 100.

Interesting post in the Obihai forums. Apparently there is newer firmware for 1xx OBIs but it's not available for general release.

Also, last night I opened a support ticket with OBIHAI tech support explaining what has been happening up to this point. They sent a reply this evening with the following message...

"We have upgraded your OBi100 to a newer firmware that should have the registration to PhonePower more stable."

I have verified that the firmware is in fact newer that what is available to download from their web site.

»www.obitalk.com/forum/in ··· msg50799