Search similar:

uniqs

Kugar13
@fedex.com

Kugar13

Anon

Garage Door Opener Malfunction

Hello, first time posting...

My Overhead Garage Door Opener (brand), Model456, recently failed to operate properly. I was wondering if anyone could give me some troubleshooting advice.

My observations:

Upon initial failure the garage door opener failed to open the garage door completely, stopping at the 1/2 way mark, yet the opener continued to make a motorized sound, as if operating properly. During this time the chain failed to move.

I disengaged the garage door opener from the garage door to see if the chain would operate independently from the door. Upon pressing the open/close button on the wall the opener makes a motorized sound, as if operating property, yet the chain doesn't move at all, in either direction.

Upon reconnecting the garage door opener to the door the garage door the door lurches a foot in either direction, then stops, the garage door opener proceeds with a grinding sound, as if operating appropriately, without any motion from the chain.

I pulled up on the garage door to see if assistance was needed to get the door up, but the garage door remained locked in position.

I've cleaned the sensors, which appear to be fine.

I've unplugged the garage door opener for a few minutes to see if plugging it back in would re-boot the electronics. This didn't work.

I hand tested the garage door for tension. The spring appears to be working properly. The weight is somewhat smooth throughout the motion and the door stays in place when released in full open position.

I would assume the gear wheel sheered, as my research indicates this is a regular problem with garage door openers, but that wouldn't explain why the garage door opener lurches forward/backward a foot before failure once the door is re-attached to the garage door opener/chain.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

1 recommendation

cowboyro

Premium Member

Sounds like broken gears.
towerdave
join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL

towerdave to Kugar13

to Kugar13
said by Kugar13 :

I would assume the gear wheel sheered, as my research indicates this is a regular problem with garage door openers, but that wouldn't explain why the garage door opener lurches forward/backward a foot before failure once the door is re-attached to the garage door opener/chain.

When you re-attach the chain, you hit a spot in the gears where they mesh ok, so it moves a bit, but then gets to the bad spot and never re-engages. I'm in agreement that a gear is hosed.

TD

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by towerdave:

When you re-attach the chain, you hit a spot in the gears where they mesh ok, so it moves a bit, but then gets to the bad spot and never re-engages. I'm in agreement that a gear is hosed.

^ This. Bet it's the worm gear and engaging gear from the gear box. Here's a good place to start looking if you can't find it locally: »www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ ··· ps%2C261

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to cowboyro

Premium Member

to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

Sounds like broken gears.

+1

Just went through the same thing. Case was filled with plastic dust from the gears.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to Kugar13

to Kugar13
Gears period. You can buy them on line....