spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Trogdor9000
join:2005-07-12
Cincinnati, OH

Trogdor9000

IPTV IGMP Settings

I currently have TV and internet through CincyBell. Right now I have a gigabit switch right after the ONT, 1 port goes to the cable box, the other goes to my internal network. I would like to bring that cable box inside of my internal network so I can do some QoS on it. Does anyone know what IPs CincyBell uses for IGMP? My current firewall is a pfSense box but I will be switching over to a EdgeRouter Lite in the next week or so. CincyBell has told me multiple times that they do not support this when I ask for the info.
CVGNet
join:2012-04-10
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet

The IPTV uses mainly RFC1918 addresses. From memory streams are usually from 10.x.x.x and IGMP uses 172.x.x.x but the actual numbers may vary at different parts of the network.
Trogdor9000
Cincinnati, OH

Trogdor9000

I was getting a bunch of 224.x.x.x entries in my firewall logs but even allowing that traffic through, it still wouldn't work.
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

1 edit

CVGNet

Those are probably IGMP addresses. You need to do more than let the traffic through. You need an IGMP proxy running on the router.
Trogdor9000
Cincinnati, OH

Trogdor9000

I have my IGMP proxy running but it still doesn't work correctly. Maybe pfSense's IGMP proxy doesn't work correctly.
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet

I haven't looked at the PFSense module in a while. Typically you need to identify the upstream and downstream interfaces and allow various sources on the upstream since they aren't on the same net as the upstream interface. If you can find how to allow any address on the upstream temporarily that might get it going then you can close it down to the necessary addresses/ranges.
Trogdor9000
Cincinnati, OH

Trogdor9000

I seem to be on a lead finally. I can get video to work for about 15 seconds, and then is freezes. If I change the channel, it works again for 15 seconds. This seems to be a common issue with IGMP but I have yet to actually figure out how to fix it.

I also switched from pfSense to a EdgeMax, my pfSense box was way to power hungry and the CF card was a pain to update.
Crispin
join:2003-06-04
Fairfield, OH

Crispin

Sounds like multicast still isn't getting through. The boxes will tune using a unicast mode for the first 15 seconds then switch over to multicast.
CVGNet
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet to Trogdor9000

to Trogdor9000
Sounds like the IGMP joins are working. That should mean that the server will start sending the multicast traffic to your WAN interface on a 239.x.x.x address but sounds like the Edgemax router isn't forwarding the stream to the interface where it saw the subscription come from.