Search similar:

uniqs

cwaffles
Premium Member
join:2014-04-04

cwaffles

Premium Member

Austin area - Still only 4 bonded channels

It seems (from reading) that most of the Austin area has been upgraded to 8 (or 16) bonded channels. I have a SB6141 and I'm in the Austin area (close to Liberty Hill to be more exact) and I still only have 4 bonded channels. Any thoughts on who I would even begin to talk to at TW to see when my area might be upgraded? Am I mistaken that most of Austin has seen this upgrade already?

Thanks!
at0mik
Premium Member
join:2014-04-22
Austin, TX

1 edit

1 recommendation

at0mik

Premium Member

Channels are likely the first thing a customer will *see*. However that doesn't mean it's close to complete. After taking back another one of my customer's modems today (at 183 location) a tech there said likely Fall for complete roll-out (he also said *maybe*). Liberty Hill might see the upgrade in channels by Fall. It's a little bit "out there" away from their major southern areas. Though you guys have exploded in the last few years I would hope that would help speed the process up. Just don't know.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by at0mik:

Channels are likely the first thing a customer will *see*. However that doesn't mean it's close to complete. After taking back another one of my customer's modems today (at 183 location) a tech there said likely Fall for complete roll-out (he also said *maybe*). Liberty Hill might see the upgrade in channels by Fall. It's a little bit "out there" away from their major southern areas. Though you guys have exploded in the last few years I would hope that would help speed the process up. Just don't know.

the only central texas areas not included in the upgrade at this point are:
Waco
Temple
Killeen
Kerrville
Gonzales
Cuero
Yokum
Columbus
Eagle Lake

the rest of the TWC systems with a channel lineup very similar to Austin's that haven't seen the 16 by 4 upgrade will see upgrades this time around and no it shouldn't take as long as you are speculating probably by late summer they will have bonding turned on for 16 down 4 up every where that has the Austin based channel lineups.

cwaffles
Premium Member

cwaffles to at0mik

Premium Member

to at0mik
Well, I'll just patiently wait then. Just wanting to make sure there are no issues with filters preventing me from getting the additional bonded channels, but that should not be the case since my house and TW runs are about a year old. I'm not technically in Liberty Hill. I have a Leander mailing address but technically I'm in that little unincorporated part between LH and Leander (though it is a BIG subdivision with 800+ homes and another 200-400 on the way in the new section).

AnClar
Premium Member
join:2003-07-31
Belton, TX

AnClar to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
said by motorola870:

Waco
Temple
Killeen

I still cannot believe TWC not including Waco, Temple, and Killeen in this round of upgrades...you have Baylor University, Ft. Hood, Scott & White Regional Medical Center, and a relatively large population in the area...Not to mention that the area is fast becoming the latest bedroom community for Austin. smh
ncwred
join:2014-01-31
Austin, TX

ncwred

There's no Google Fiber coming to those communities. Why would TWC spend money where it has a monopoly?

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by ncwred:

There's no Google Fiber coming to those communities. Why would TWC spend money where it has a monopoly?

because they have already mentioned that they will upgrade everyone on the austin system not just areas with fiber to the home. plus they would be wasting bandwidth if they didn't offer the upgrades to everyone fed from the Austin system as all of the systems in central TX owned by TWC save for: Columbus, Cuero, Gonzales, Kerrville, Waco, Temple, Killeen and the smaller communities surrounding those areas are interconnected to Austin somehow someway as they all get their video etc. via a fiber ring that is tied to Austin and the rest of the cities such as Round Rock, Luling, etc. the only area that is its own system with the Austin lineup is Fredericksburg and they are getting the upgrades as well.

I could say the same thing about TWC offering the 75Mbps tier in At&t Uverse areas or that because town with less than 1000 people aren't large enough to support cable should have it turned off the argument isn't really that good to not offer it everywhere in the system when you can.
motorola870

motorola870 to AnClar

to AnClar
said by AnClar:

said by motorola870:

Waco
Temple
Killeen

I still cannot believe TWC not including Waco, Temple, and Killeen in this round of upgrades...you have Baylor University, Ft. Hood, Scott & White Regional Medical Center, and a relatively large population in the area...Not to mention that the area is fast becoming the latest bedroom community for Austin. smh

the reason is mainly they don't have the spectrum cleared to do it. Austin lost a ton of analogs over the last few years that Waco etc. hasn't such as having like 6+ public access channels which helped them out in getting 16 down 4 up bonding. Dallas has the bandwidth to go to 16 down 4 up bonding but they may have to change out limited basic traps to make it happen as right now TWC is sitting on analog slots:

in the Dallas metro. now they could probably drop 70-76 from analog to make even more room but I think the traps are like from channel 34-72 or something like that.

Roary
@rr.com

Roary to cwaffles

Anon

to cwaffles
R u not getting advertised speeds that u need 8 bonded channels?

cwaffles
Premium Member

cwaffles

Premium Member

I get the speeds advertised (50/5). I just know this area is supposed to get 300/30 (as soon as May or as late as fall depending on who you ask), so its more of a curious thing.
korgman
join:2004-03-16
Austin, TX

1 edit

korgman to cwaffles

to cwaffles
Has anyone else seen a speed increase in the south Austin area recently? (78749) I have the Turbo tier and within the last week have seen a 30% increase in Dload Speed. Now this is with an older SA (Cisco) doscis 2.0 modem. I had already ordered a 3.o modem(plan to upgrade) from their list which should arrive today. I'm curious to see what that does.

Update: Activated my new modem and got the same. Upgraded to Extreme and am getting 34/5. I guess the tier bumps haven't happened yet here.
benb6
join:2011-09-19
Austin, TX

benb6 to cwaffles

to cwaffles
I got the 50/5 upgrade just recently too, sb6121 and I'm only getting 2down and 4up, if I'm reading it right. I'm actually getting 50/5 pretty consistently though. Also curious if we're supposed to eventually have more channels. I think 6121 caps at 4x4 bonding, but yours caps at 8?

AnClar
Premium Member
join:2003-07-31
Belton, TX

AnClar to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
I don't know if you've seen my other posts, but the Temple/Belton/Killeen area got 8x4 bonding about a month ago. What that bodes for speed upgrades I don't know, but it's a good sign anyways.
hStack
join:2005-06-10
Austin, TX

hStack to korgman

to korgman
I live in 78749 too, and according to another thread, the MAXX speed will not be activated till Sept for us.
hStack

hStack to benb6

to benb6
I also got the SB6121 and getting 3x4 bonding with the recent network upgrade (though MAXX speeds have not been activated in my area). 2x4 or 3x4 is not normal for our modem. It should be 4x4. Do you subscribe to internet only, no cable? Then your cable might have an analog filter inline cutting off the newly available channel.