All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
BlakePaulson
join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson

[CBN] Sent to collections over modem return...

So I just got a collections notice in the mail from some random company for $56.XX

These idiots at charter are saying because I didn't return the modem that's why there was a fee:

Well here's me returning the modem... once it's in the box I fail to see how it's my fault that their incompetent local techs can't report it as being returned

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· kTScrKUE

Really upset right now.

Basically I moved from suite 210 in my building to ste 110 (one floor below) and they charged me the $45 move fee (which is funny because the entire building is pre-wired) and then took two weeks to switch me. Then they started billing me for a static IP that I was previously getting for free so I dropped them and got fiber.

I cancel service on a thursday in march, on Saturday I got a phone call saying that they were charging me for the modem because it hasn't been returned. I dropped the thing off right away and fast forward to today. I called them previously and explained the situation. The bill is for the modem, I owe them nothing for service.

So now they want to ruin my credit because they are too stupid to figure out that I did not keep their POS SMC modem.

lineofsight
join:2003-01-03
East Saint Louis, IL

lineofsight

you need to send the collection people your proof.
BlakePaulson
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson

I can't access my account anymore so I have no idea what charges they have added/taken off. Everyone has been saying it's due to equipment return but the latest guy said it was because of a balance on the account. This is after they've told me that after the equipment was returned I'd be getting a $15 refund.

Lets just say the company doesn't know up from down.

I'm sure the collection agency will be really willing to work with me... also no one will take youtube videos as proof... they all want some other form of documentation.

So glad I switched providers... this is getting stupid.

fnord76
Elder God
Premium Member
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL

fnord76

Premium Member

Did you keep the reciept they gave you when you returned the equipment?
Bubbha
join:2013-10-14
Rio Rancho, NM

Bubbha

That would be one fancy drop box if it could read the contents of what got dropped and print off a receipt...

lineofsight
East Saint Louis, IL

lineofsight to BlakePaulson

to BlakePaulson
They won't take youtube video as proof? OK, you have the original video? If not, you have an authentication problem as you cannot show that was your modem, I couldn't read your serial number.
I guess your next move is to send still pictures from the video that show the same things, then when they don't accept that you can tell them it now appears that it will be a judge that decides what is adequate or not.
BlakePaulson
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson

If you fast forward it a little bit you'll see it's clear...

lineofsight
East Saint Louis, IL

lineofsight

Ok, great. You should print out the stills that show that and the drop box, you are trying to create a record that shows that, it is more likely than not, that you did return the device to the company. If it were to progress to court, the original video needs to be authenticated by someone who witnessed you either make the drop off or they witnessed you copy the video from the original recording device that you are using as evidence. In fact, if you were to have someone produce a affidavit that says they witnessed you drop the device into the box, I'd send that to the collection agency as well. You are trying to make the agency realize the debt isn't legally owed or collectible. I am not a lawyer but I am familiar with how courts view videos that someone submits as evidence. The better you can document the authenticity of date, time, location, the better.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr

Premium Member

It's Charters fault. They failed to have an employee present to give him a receipt ......
BlakePaulson
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson to lineofsight

to lineofsight
It turns out that they made a mistake (they still can't find the modem) but were billing me stuff from another account (they create a new account when you switch locations instead of just changing the address on the account, thus locking you out of your previous statements and online account.)

They admitted fault over not sending the correct bill (something along the lines of $32) and topped it off with late fees and finance charges then sent it to collections.

I just cancelled this account on 2/27/14...

So yeah it's just one big mixed up mess... super frustrating way to waste an hour on the phone but apparently it's sorted out. No way to really know if I'm getting screwed or not.

Then there's the fact that they never gave me the $150 referral credit but that's for another day...

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to BlakePaulson

to BlakePaulson
There are so many flim-flam collection agencies companies use. doubtful the collection agency will report it (although Charter might).

Mr Guy
@charter.com

Mr Guy to BlakePaulson

Anon

to BlakePaulson
You should ALWAYS return equipment when the office is open and give it to a actual person and make sure you get a receipt. I used to have this issue returning movies/games from Movie Gallery after hours. After twice in a row getting charged for items I knew I returned on time I started going in in person to return them and making sure that person checked in that movie/game right then and there.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to BlakePaulson

to BlakePaulson
This sounds like a matter for Charter Corporate Escalations.

(314) 965-0555
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

Although this scenario is in my view a deliberate attempt on the part of companies to make change off of misplaced equipment (not just Charter but many providers do this nonsense) you should NEVER trust the company to be responsible for things like this, you ALWAYS need to get documented proof ( a printed receipt from the company) so that when they try this flimflamary you can immediately call their bluff.

I'm glad someone on this forum told me to hand deliver the charter modem directly to their office and get a printed receipt. I suppose I should call customer service to make sure that my account has been zero balanced out, and close properly with no surprises left.
BlakePaulson
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson

Guys... if we HAD an office in our town or even close to our town, I would have returned it there.

The closest office is 60 miles away. I shouldn't have to drive 120 miles round trip to return a piece of equipment.

Thus I did not get a receipt.
browncoat
join:2008-12-02
Montgomery, AL

browncoat

said by BlakePaulson:

The closest office is 60 miles away. I shouldn't have to drive 120 miles round trip to return a piece of equipment.

Did you have your receipt where you shipped it? Can you put a trace on it? If you can show it went to Charter and they received it, that goes a long way.
BlakePaulson
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson

I didn't ship it, we have a drop box... they didn't give me an option to ship it!
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN

Chubbysumo to lineofsight

to lineofsight
this. This got a collection company off my back about AT&T cellular trying to charge me for 4 months of service that I could not even use after I cancelled my phone service.
Chubbysumo

Chubbysumo to BlakePaulson

to BlakePaulson
Youtube vid is plenty of proof. It shows the MAC and serial number, and if that was what was registered to his account, that proves it got returned.
marinemaster
join:2004-04-12
Suwanee, GA

1 recommendation

marinemaster to BlakePaulson

to BlakePaulson
You should have kept the modem. If Charter offers service at the next building one floor below the modem would have worked. (assuming it was prewired) I kept the same modem from the last address to the new address few miles down the road, last time I moved.
Zappa2000
join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000 to Mr Guy

to Mr Guy
said by Mr Guy :

You should ALWAYS return equipment when the office is open and give it to a actual person and make sure you get a receipt. I used to have this issue returning movies/games from Movie Gallery after hours. After twice in a row getting charged for items I knew I returned on time I started going in in person to return them and making sure that person checked in that movie/game right then and there.

Charter don't think so, that is why they have a return equipment box located in front of pretty much all their stores.

OP is just lucky that he did the right thing, and had a video of everything.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

That drop box idea certainly is a nice way to make a little extra change of departing customers, isn't it?

Never trust those things... ALWAYS hand deliver your items to a employee and make sure to get a receipt with the serial and or mac numbers printed on it!!!!!!

Not that Charter is the only one, DirecTV is another company (much shadier than Charter by far too!) which requires you to ship your equipment back to them....but because they use the USPS many times it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get a printed receipt when you send it from the PO. DirecTV routinely charges customers for items not returned, when in fact they were returned, but they supposedly lost it at the return center or through the shipper.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

At the USPS, if a box has a tracking number, they can give you a receipt that you dropped off a package.
Never seen anything from Dish or Directv shipped thru USPS, its either UPS or Fedex.
said by 15444104:

That drop box idea certainly is a nice way to make a little extra change of departing customers, isn't it?

Never trust those things... ALWAYS hand deliver your items to a employee and make sure to get a receipt with the serial and or mac numbers printed on it!!!!!!

Not that Charter is the only one, DirecTV is another company (much shadier than Charter by far too!) which requires you to ship your equipment back to them....but because they use the USPS many times it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get a printed receipt when you send it from the PO. DirecTV routinely charges customers for items not returned, when in fact they were returned, but they supposedly lost it at the return center or through the shipper.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

said by compuguybna:

At the USPS, if a box has a tracking number, they can give you a receipt that you dropped off a package.
Never seen anything from Dish or Directv shipped thru USPS, its either UPS or Fedex.

I have seen DirecTV equipment return labels use USPS.