All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ground
join:2008-01-16
Toronto, ON

ground

[FireFox] Add Yahoo! as an application for mailto links?

Click for full size
This bar appears every time I open yahoo mail which gets me very upset. How to remove it forever please? I am not installing additional bloatware/spyware and other garbage. Worst case scenario I'll use Google Chrome if this cannot be fixed easily.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

Thus far, I have seen that only once.

Did you click the X to close the notification?

ground
Toronto, ON

ground

Yes, but it comes back every single time. What's making it worse is that it slowly slides down, so the whole email list moves down for the first few seconds, which is annoying like hell. Another Mozilla failure and then they wonder why people choose Chrome.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to ground

Premium Member

to ground
Don't use the new mail, and turn off images on the page. You won't see it. All I see on the bar on the page is an offer to use new mail. I switched back when I could.

NoScript is your friend.

ground
Toronto, ON

ground

Yes, you're right. If I switch to Basic mail the bar doesn't appear. Thanks.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to ground

to ground
(without knowing for certain, its probably mentioned, in particular on the SeaMonkey end, here, Bug 995706 - I am not able to read, compose or send e-mail from my Yahoo Mail accounts (no easy toggle for external protocol handlers) & seem to recall something in mozillazine forums...)
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

1 recommendation

BlitzenZeus to ground

Premium Member

to ground
You're not installing anything, Firefox can make it so if you only use webmail mailto links will open in the webpages.

Depending on where the script originates, you might just be able to block it without breaking their pages with noscript, block an element in a page with an adblocker, or just ignore it.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube

mozillazine: "Add ____ as an application for mailto links?" --Yahoo
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

1 edit

redwolfe_98 to ground

Premium Member

to ground
here is a related mozillazine post with instructions on how to block the "Add Yahoo! as an application for mailto links?" bar:

»forums.mozillazine.org/v ··· =2820341

the stylish-tweak worked for me..

if you use yahoo mail, i would think that it probably would be better to "Add Yahoo as an application for mailto links"..

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

Not if you use Yahoo mail only for spam and groups. I removed all contacts from Yahoo mail.

If I want to mail something, I use the link in the file menu. Since I get all email except Yahoo from Thunderbird, I have a choice of 5 different accounts. I can even get the Yahoo mail from GMX.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by carpetshark3:

Since I get all email except Yahoo from Thunderbird ...

I get Yahoo! Mail using Thunderbird ...

earthqueen
join:2006-03-03
Kansas City, MO

earthqueen to ground

to ground
I got rid of that bar in my mail account by just accepting it.

You can then set your desired mailto: client in the controls in your FireFox > Tools > Options > Applications. It overrides anything done on the yahoo page.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

Aha! A variation of the "if you can't lick them, then join them" trick.