So yesterday afternoon we lost the ability to browse the web. Funny thing is, that we can ping out and tracert out with relatively low numbers, less the 30 on CTL lines, then over 50 on Comcast and other providers.
Rebooted all equipment, modem, router, gigabit switch, etc. Called support, 1st tech reset my circuit, and said the modem was bad and we needed to buy a new one. So asked for US support and the 2nd tech had us disconnect everything, reset and after about 45 mins and changing the DNS numbers to CTL from Google, then we were able to browse the web at non-dial up speeds.
Now come morning, service is degraded again, wife calls CTL and they again claim the modem and wanted us to pay for it. Wife got tech to setup truck roll and earliest was 4/30.
Later we decided it might be a good idea to just lease a modem so in the future we would not have to worry about modem replacement costs. Well come to find out with the @ease advance, the purchased modem from CTL was covered with the program even out of warranty.
So with modem on the way, I checked the status of the tech and see that it was not scheduled, chatted online with US support, confirmed it was not scheduled and they did not want to send a tech since a modem was on the way and might fix the issue. Explained that if the modem does not do the job then we have a wait for a tech and if the modem does fix the issue we could cancel the tech.
So tech scheduled for tomorrow, hope they determine the cause of the browsing issues. Ran some trace routes to the modem and getting pings from low 100's to over 3000ms.
This will make it the 4th tech in a month and 3rd tech in 2 weeks. We have had a bad crimp in the CTL junction box in the yard, bridge tap removed, and a splitter added to the box.