spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Famine

@cgocable.net

Terrible bandwidth rates during 4pm-12pm

Hullo, I recently moved to a small cruddy city called Smith Falls...

I ordered the 55mbit residential plan that I had in my previous city.
Now speeds are fine in the morning, but as soon as it gets around 4pm-midnight my download rates drop to 1-3mbit. This is incredibly frustating. After fighting with phone techs that reseting my modem and doing tests with my windows/linux/mac boxes. They finally said "theres congestion in my area, it will be fixed in may, oh and by the way heres a $5 credit"...Now I don't want any credit, I work from home and I need bandwidth in the evening, if my speeds dropped to say only 10mbit or higher I wouldn't be complaining....but seriously, 1mbit? I can't even stream video in the evening.

Now, three questions

1) is the call center lying to me when they say it will be fixed in may?
2) Is there anything to do in my current situation

and most importantly

3) If I switch to a business account will I get dedicated bandwidth? the 55mbit residential plan is like $55, but the 55mbit business line is like $150 or so...Now I would pay that, but only if I get dedicated bandwidth

Thanks dslreports!!

Famine

Famine

@cgocable.net
just to be clear...

my download rates drop to 1-3megaBITS...not bytes...

Famine

@cgocable.net

cavan

join:2003-09-08
Cobourg, ON
reply to Famine
If it's a congestion issue, moving to a Business plan will do nothing but increase your bill

richport29

join:2013-11-22
Smiths Falls, ON
reply to Famine
I'm in Smiths Falls as well. Experiencing the same issues with congestion in the evenings. I was also told it would be fixed by the end of May, time will tell...

Famine

@cgocable.net
UGH,

I don't know if I should cancel cogeco cable and get DSL (via teksavvy), Fastest DSL I can get is 15mbit....decision decisions

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
With 15/1 DSL, while your download may benefit you'll see your current upload rate go down to about 850k, or less.

You could always switch to Start or Teksavvy, and if you have cable TV switch to Shaw Direct (who love stealing Cogeco customers). At least this way you're registering your displeasure and not sacrificing anything. That way in June, if/when the node gets split, you get the benefit.

I think switching to Start might be free, but not sure.

Mike
--
I've picked on Cogeco long enough. Who's next? Any volunteers?

Famine

@cgocable.net
Uhm, teksavvy just resell cogeco lines, so that would not change the problem? would it?... also Shaw direct is not in my area.

Also, bell offers 15down/10up, why does teksavvy only do 15down/1up

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
said by Famine :

Uhm, teksavvy just resell cogeco lines, so that would not change the problem? would it?... also Shaw direct is not in my area.

Shaw Direct is satellite. They cover all of Canada. Unless you have some obstruction that prevents you from installing a dish you should be able to get it.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

jmarlatt2

join:2006-09-20
Chatham, ON
Think teksavvy and start were suggested as a way of saving money while still being able to see the same max speed and getting the congestion issues fixed at the same time as cogeco customers do.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to Famine
said by Famine :

Switching to Start or Teksavvy will not fix your problem. The node split will fix your problem. That'll happen if you're with Cogeco or with Start or Teksavvy. Switching is how you tell the company, any company, you're not happy with their service. Both are usually cheaper too, for the same service. Saving money is a good thing. Both also have a little more respect for their customer base.

Shaw Direct is a satellite service. They are everywhere, as far as I know.

If Teksavvy says they can only do 15/1, then I'm very suspicious of Bell telling you anything different. But then again, being suspicious of Bell is a good thing. I suspect they'll tell you whatever you want to hear to make you order, then screw you once the install is finished. The Bell forum speaks for itself.

Mike
--
I've picked on Cogeco long enough. Who's next? Any volunteers?

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Famine
said by Famine :

1) is the call center lying to me when they say it will be fixed in may?

From what I've been told Cogeco phone support people can see scheduled upgrades a few months in advance so there's probably a good chance what he's telling you is true.

When I called to ask when DOCSIS3 was coming to St. Catharines, they kept saying "no idea, we can't see anything until a few months in advance" until it was a month away, at which point they said "within the next month or two".

One of the Cogeco folks that frequent this can probably confirm that...

Famine

@72.39.244.x
So its May, still no changes...completely frustrating

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
said by Famine :

So its May, still no changes...completely frustrating

Won't hurt to call and ask for an update... or lodge a complaint.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to jmarlatt2
said by jmarlatt2:

Think teksavvy and start were suggested as a way of saving money while still being able to see the same max speed and getting the congestion issues fixed at the same time as cogeco customers do.

Agreed.

BTW, the START forum has just reported an upgrade to the upload speed (3 channels instead of 1) having just been turned on for Brockville, so you might well be next of the remaining places to get SOMETHING improved locally.

Famine

@72.39.244.x
I lived in brockville before moving to smith falls (girlfriends fault)...In 10 years I always maxed out my cogeco connection there....brockville is centrally located...401, crossroads between toronto/montreal/ottawa...im sure theres a lot more pipes going thru brockville then smith falls

Famine

@72.39.244.x
I also called again today and the rep said its still due for an upgrade BY may 31st....so ill wait a week or two into june...if its not fixed then ill be forced to get bell (only 15down/1up...but at least it will be consistent)

Keaters
Premium
join:2007-07-25
Chatham, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·TekSavvy Cable
I am in Chatham, not on a congested node, and tonight I am pulling synchronized 4/4 speeds. This is normal and Cogeco is looking into my issue but there is no ETA for repair. No one on my node can get a full 60 download at all. Anyone on the Ultimate 55 cannot get that speed either. Only 20Mbps or lower can receive their full speeds. Blows my mind.