spc
Search similar:

uniqs
treydur
join:2005-08-02
Waxahachie, TX

treydur

good bye Hughes

you made me wait 12 days to install. you charged me $200 for install. you charged me another $120 25 days later. I paid for 10 meg down and 2 meg up. I, nor technicians could ever get over 1 meg up. latency was so terrible that there was no way to Skype, Vonage or anything else.

now you will stab me for another $400 to get out of contract.

lesson learned. $520 for 45 days of 'internet service'.

I finally found a line of sight company that with quite a bit of effort got a great signal for $70 a month. after repeated tests I am at about 8meg down and 5 meg up. more than enough for me and best of all, my vonage works like a charm

nxlink.com

james1979
Premium Member
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA

james1979

Premium Member

Did you check for obstructions on the radio transmitter? Those magical unicorn masks can be a devil of a problem.

But seriously,
said by treydur:

I paid for 10 meg down and 2 meg up. I, nor technicians could ever get over 1 meg up.

Was the problem getting 1 Mbps up or 1Mbps down? Hughes lost a long time customer because they couldn't get it down.

"It’s such a sad thing to see beauty decay"
treydur
join:2005-08-02
Waxahachie, TX

treydur

download wasn't unusable, I paid for the 15/3. I think I got maybe 5 down.....but never over 1 upload.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to james1979

to james1979
haha james1979 hahahah thats funny ^_^

james1979
Premium Member
Quinault, WA

1 edit

james1979

Premium Member

said by diablo18926:

Thanks. I'm always happy when someone appreciates my sense of humor. I took the first photo last summer and kept it in mind if the "right" post showed up. As I returned my modem and "transmitter" / radio the same day as treydur's post, I made it the right time to share the unicorn photo.
said by treydur:

download wasn't unusable, I paid for the 15/3. I think I got maybe 5 down.....but never over 1 upload.

I'm sorry that you didn't ask here before signing up. Gen4 has sporadic speed problems which I have "helped" document. Your problem was different than mine. You experienced HughesNet using the "up to" clause (and I'd guess the "prime time slowdown" excuse). I was getting my "up to" speeds at noon, but my download speeds would drop to [.1 Mbps - 1 Mbps] in the evenings. I've posted extensively on the matter, and I will only add that there is something "wrong" when HughesNet 2014 is becomes slower than Hughes 2004. (Gen4 was definitely more reliable however.)

Mr Guy
@24.183.212.x

Mr Guy to treydur

Anon

to treydur
said by treydur:

latency was so terrible that there was no way to Skype, Vonage or anything

Yeah that's going happen with satellite when the signal has to make around trip of over 90,000 miles and light travels at 186,000 miles per second. At best you're going to have a half second latency

james1979
Premium Member
Quinault, WA

james1979 to diablo18926

Premium Member

to diablo18926
said by diablo18926:

Those pole mounts are handy as humming bird feeder stands as well

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to treydur

to treydur
»i.imgur.com/mK0c6.jpg

ps that is not my hornet's nest. Mines still doing good (:

Also. My new internet provider is #$%@ awesome. MUCH BETTER.

james1979
Premium Member
Quinault, WA

james1979

Premium Member

Your hornet nest photo is a good one too!

Back to my hummingbird feeder stand, I'm going to remove that after the humming birds leave. Besides my speed problems with Gen4, my Gen4 installation was obviously quite unaesthetic. That dish ruins the view from my front porch. (I don't think that was the installer's fault. There aren't many places to put a pole around my house without doing an extended cable run across the driveway.)

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to treydur

to treydur
Could use it as a flower pot holder/hanger to hang your flower(s) from. i can't think of much else that I would hang anything from it other than a piece of paper for target practice (maybe a BB gun? so that you don't blow off the entire dish along with the leg)

When we redo our shingles (witch won't be soon) we'll be taking ours down and leaving it down, may even take down the cables but leave the box that sits on the side of the house just before the cable runs into the inside of the house.

james1979
Premium Member
Quinault, WA

james1979

Premium Member

said by diablo18926:

Could use it as a flower pot holder/hanger

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that! I can grow strawberries there, or the mount is probably strong enough to support a large enough planter to grow a pumpkin! (It's hard to grow food around here without a greenhouse as the slugs are ravenous. And then the rabbits are hungry too.)

I just checked, and I see that the dish can be unbolted and saved which would make the pole mount much less unsightly. Then if my Exede system "blows up" or ViaSat-1 is unexpectedly deorbited, I can have Gen4 re-installed very easily.
SD AJ
join:2014-06-07

SD AJ to treydur

to treydur
Thanks for the information. You folks are doing the Lord'd work!

Is there a service like nxlink.com in Southern California?
pvtpilot94
System
Premium Member
join:2001-11-23
Bucyrus, OH

pvtpilot94 to treydur

Premium Member

to treydur
My GEN4 dish went to the scrap yard. I did get a few cents for it