share rss forum feed

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Plumbing] Clogged tub drain.

I have a very slow drain in my guest bath room bath tub. It is a type of drain that you press down to close the drain and press down again to open it back up. How do remove the top part so I can get a wire or small snake down to open up the drain?
--
Caddy

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

It unscrews

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to Caddyroger

Like robbin said, it unscrews. However, if you're going to be snaking it then you really should access it via the overflow. It's going to be a LOT easier that way (both larger and a straight shot). »www.homerepairforum.com/forum/il···ain.html

/M

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

Yea +1 to go through the overflow. I learned that the hard way.

clogmasta

@myvzw.com

try running some straight hot water down the drain for 20-30 min.. this will clear out any body oils and soaps that are stuck in the hair in the drain. wont remove the hair tho

former qwest

join:2014-01-04
out there
reply to Caddyroger

i use this: »www.cobraus.com/Products.aspx?Id=1019

plasticy

@comcast.net
reply to Caddyroger

the white plastic things with teeth, about 2' long, work great for hairs in sinks and tubs. they're long enough to get past the trap.

but note the fine print says they are for one-time use only. probly cause they will retain bacteria germs etc., so if you do keep it for reuse, clean it well.

and they wont remove large items caught in a trap, or remove rusty big clogs in steel pipes.

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5
reply to former qwest

Yep...I bought something similar at Walmart and cleaned out my wife's vanity sink in our master bath. I used three just to make sure and keep three new spares in my shed just in case.

WARNING...the ones I bought at Walmart are VERY SHARP and for one time use only...

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to plasticy

said by plasticy :

the white plastic things with teeth, about 2' long, work great for hairs in sinks and tubs. they're long enough to get past the trap.

but note the fine print says they are for one-time use only. probly cause they will retain bacteria germs etc., so if you do keep it for reuse, clean it well.

and they wont remove large items caught in a trap, or remove rusty big clogs in steel pipes.

+3 on those.

Except I have one I have used mine multiple times, though last time noticed many of the sharp thingys were 'rounded' down. But using them mainly on 2 bathroom sinks. Used it once on the shower and worked great. They are sharp. After using them, I immediately flush sink with hottest water possible to flush anything it dislodged and did not bring up.

I rinse off with hot water after each use and they dry on the workbench, so not concerned about germs. It is not a daily use item, so not sure of too many germs that will live beyond 30 days on them.

They are cheap. Local Hardware store has them for less than $4.00. On a couple of occasions have used drain cleaner in Tub, high powered gel type on plastic pipes. S.O. has long hair. 2nd story bath. Took care of it and after that ran hottest water down drain once a month. Over 6 years problem never returned.

Boooost

@optonline.net
reply to Caddyroger

I use Liquid Plumber or Drano, then tape over the overflow and plunge it while pouring in a full spaghetti pot of very hot water. Immediately repeat with the hot water (and possibly plunging, depending on how well it's draining) 3 or 4 times.

Removing the stopper first would help, as it will allow a larger volume of water to flow down the drain. Don't forget you need an airtight seal over the overflow.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
reply to former qwest

Interesting I had not realized Zip-It was a one time tool. I purchased one, based on info posted in this forum, but mostly use a spring-grabber to remove hair and gunk from drains.

/tom

Eddy Strong

join:2001-08-29
Naples, FL
reply to Caddyroger

I've used the Drano Kitchen Crystals Drain Opener many times with good results.
»www.amazon.com/Drano-Kitchen-Cry···crystals

quote:
Product Description

Keep Your Drains Unclogged

Drano Kitchen Crystals Drain Opener works with a unique heat action formula to effectively remove the clogging debris. This drain opener can melt away the dirt blocking the drain. This multipurpose cleaner can also be used to clean soap scum, hair clogs and other types of dirt. This formulation is very concentrated so you only need a small amount to achieve optimum hygiene.

Drano Kitchen Crystals Drain Opener can be used to clean all types of cesspools, pipes and septic tanks without causing them any damage. This cleaner also works well on grease spots.

A Closer Look: Drano Kitchen Crystals Drain Opener contains only gentle ingredients to keep your kitchen tidy without any harmful chemicals.

You Won't Find: Toxic elements or phosphorous

Get Started: Pour a tablespoon full of this powder down the drain. Leave for a few minutes and clean.

joewho
Premium
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL
reply to Caddyroger

Unscrew the drain, see if gobs of hair are easy to grab out. It may be that simple.

Boooost

@151.190.40.x

said by joewho:

Unscrew the drain, see if gobs of hair are easy to grab out. It may be that simple.

I was able to do that with a stall shower. I pulled out a clump of hair the size of a dead ferret. It smelled like a dead ferret, too.

I can't do that with the tub, because the drain makes a couple twists and turns. Even a Zip-It doesn't work.