spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

grace1234

join:2014-04-24

1 edit

Terrible terrible experience trying to get the installation done.

Account number : [removed by mod - don't put account numbers in public view for your own security]

I moved to a new built house that has no cables installed yet(but my neighbors do, such as Teksavvy which uses Rogers). The house has wires coming outside of the house to the basement. I called start to get internet service explaining that about the house being new and all the cables situation. Start said that it was possible to install cable internet in my house.

They booked the time for the technician to come in couple of days (Apr 18th Friday). The Rogers technician came and told me that my house doesn't have Rogers line connected to the wire. He told me he will call their maintenance guy(Rogers or their subcontract maintenance guy) to do this job and that there was nothing he can do. I was told that this job is only to be done outside of the house and that the technician will come and do it even without letting us know. He also told me once that inline of getting rogers line connected to the wire attached into my house, I can call start and book for another appointment.

I asked him if there will be any visual indication of that inline job done, so I can call start. He told me I wouldn't know since they do it in the ground. Since there was nothing that he said he could do, he left and I called start to let them know what happened.

I talked to an agent at start and she told me I should still book for the next appointment for the week after, assuming that the inline from rogers will be done in next couple of days. It was good Friday when this happened so I booked the next appointment for next week.

I got a call on Sunday(Apr 20th) and was told the appointment I booked has been cancelled since Rogers said there is no fishing of the wires down in my house. This "fishing the wires" issue in short is this: when the technician came on Friday before this inline issue, I told him I wanted the modem upstairs ,not at the basement. Aforementioned, my house is a new built house and cable outlets are blocked which requires fishing. I did not realize I need to do fishing if I want the modem upstairs because the technician did not tell me at the time.

This refusal from Rogers was odd to me since I did not even know I had to do fishing. So I told the agent I don’t want the modem upstairs if it requires me to do fishing and call in my own electrician to do the job. I just wanted the internet as soon as possible. I confirmed that I just want the modem at the basement which then does not require fishing.

I asked the agent if the inline that Rogers had promised to do was done. The agent told me everything is ready and inline from Rogers was done. So I booked for the next appointment.

After I booked for the next appointment, I got a call from the agent (Paul) again, saying that Rogers still refused to come unless they saw the pictures of the wires coming from outside to the inside of my house. The agent told me that the Rogers tech wanted to make sure that in-house wiring was done before he comes. So I took the picture of the wires coming from outside to my basement and sent to support@start.ca

I didn’t hear back from them, so I resent the email the next day. I still didn’t hear anything back from them, so I called them. I was told that Rogers still refused to come since the pictures of the wires that I took were so many. I took an overview picture of many wires because, of course, I know nothing about wires as I am not an electrician.

I called my neighbor who use Teksavvy because he went through the same process as I did. He showed me exactly which cables they need to work with. My neighbor’s house is new built house, and so has the same environment(wire) as my house. I took specific picture of the wires that he told me to take and sent them to start to prove that I have all the in-house wires ready.

»i.imgur.com/b9koC3h.jpg
»i.imgur.com/aumtyNw.jpg
»i.imgur.com/8hTrbZP.jpg
»i.imgur.com/Xr1qg01.jpg

I got a reply from Bryan Kubasiewicz from start, he asked me if any of the wires coming out of my house went to the Rogers cable box, I said no, because I did not have any Rogers cable box.

I got a call from start (Maurie) stating that they will send a tech today(April 24 Thursday), after reviewing the notes on her screen. Apparently she had no knowledge of what was going on my account, with the pictures and wiring situation.

Anyhow, the tech guy from Rogers came, and he showed me the empty tubes coming out of the house beside the wires, that I took pictures of. He said the inline is not done, since the tubes are empty. If the first tech who came on Friday have told me that this was the way to check if the inlines were done or not, I would have known and let start know that the inlines are not done.
Also if start had checked the pictures that I have sent, they would have seen that the inlines were not done, and that there was nothing that he can do. He told me that the Rogers line has to be taken out from the “tab” that is in front three houses next to mine. He said he will contact his maintenance supervisor to do this inline again.

I called start again and talked to Kayle and he told me Rogers had sent the wrong tech today since they didn’t send the tech who is capable of doing both inline installation and internet installation. He said he will get the permission to get the earliest time for the right tech to come and install inline and the internet on coming Saturday or Sunday. He said he will call me if the appointment has been confirmed.

After couple of hours, I got a call from Darrell ( or Daren) from start saying that they got a note from Rogers of what happened today. He told me the tech had asked my neighbor if he could put a temporary wires through their yard to my house. He said that the tech was rejected. This is a complete lie because I followed the tech everywhere he went, and he made no contact with any of my neighbors.

Darrell or Daren told me that the wires had to be installed in some other way(barrel or barrier) and it will take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 month and told me that Rogers will directly contact me, not start, to which I felt like he was putting down the responsibility on Rogers. Also, Darrell or Daren, the last guy I talked to started to reading the note that Rogers sent them, word by word filled with technical terms that I had no idea of. I got a strong feeling that he wanted me to cancel my service.
TLDR;
So here am I, having paid $230 for cable service, installation and modem only to be left without internet connection for the past 2 weeks, time wasted calling start, coming home early from work so the tech could do his job.

I am utterly disappointed and disgusted at how poorly start takes care of their customer, how they only seek to put down responsibility onto Rogers and not fix the problem, the low quality of coordination between employees inside start (had to explain my situation to 5+ different agents, because they had no idea what was going on) and the lack of communication between Rogers and start. I am furious that I wasted my time and energy trying to help expedite the installation process and to be a good customer.

DavePC

join:2013-08-18
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Start Communicat..
Wow, all this trouble.

To be honest, all the rogers tech would have to do is run a new line from the pedestal, install a demarc (rogers box), and run you a line to your modem. (at least from what I know)

If I were you in the first place, I would have gotten Rogers cable internet (directly from them) first with a special offer like free install and one o those discounted plans for 6 months, after a period of time where the install is good, I would then transfer to Start because there would be less issues.

I would HIGHLY recommend you contact the CEO of Start (Rocca, hes also on the forums, he'll probably see this by the time he checks his email anyway) as he will definitely help you expedite your internet install, you contact contact him at rocca@start.ca, or at »/profile/1596693

Davey77

join:2002-08-02
n8n8n8
reply to grace1234
I've got to say, I understand the trend these days of everyone making statements like "...disgusted at how poorly abc company takes care of their customer" as a means of triggering a rapid response by the company, but it's unfair. You can - believe me - get the same level of support from a company by simply asking for help, instead of making these sweeping statements that are fairly obviously untrue. One only has to look at this forum and read the reviews to know that your case is fairly unique.

We've all read the "secrets of how to get companies to do things for you" articles that have been produced by the various Internet publications, but really, it just ends up becoming noise.

Rant over.

Far as your situation goes, it does happen from time to time when dealing with incumbent carriers and TPIAs. There are plenty of bad feelings out there going back a couple of decades earlier when Bell was forced to allow other carriers to provide dialtone. Not making excuses, but it is what it is.

Should you have known that a wire probably needed to be run for the modem upstairs? Maybe. Did you *possibly* get insistent and pushy when the tech might have explained that to you, causing some bad feelings? Maybe - I don't know. I've worked in IT long enough to know that, fairly regularly, there are times when customers do cause some issues for themselves when insisting on X, even after it has been explained that X isn't doable. I'm only speculating, though, and apologize if I'm causing any offense. Certainly, the issue should have been explained to you, that you would need some additional support and that you probably could have Internet straight away if you were willing to use the basement, and it's very possible that those things weren't adequately explained. It's not your fault for wanting things to be a certain way - and you should have been armed with the information that let you know what the pros and cons of wanting it that way was.

Bottom line is:

1) Rocca will help you, I'm sure. He would have without the tone of the note - I'm sure of that, too.

2) You may have to wait for this, and it may stretch for a few weeks. Technicians often run temporary wires because the contractors are really very slow. Pop by your neighbor's house with a bottle of wine as a gift, and ask if they can run a wire temporarily. The "temporary" line might well be there for 2 months or more, if Rogers is like Cogeco.

3) In an ideal world, Start's throat would be the one to choke here, and that would be it. The reality is that Start doesn't own the infrastructure, only the service that you get once the infrastructure is in place. There are lots of goofy rules that both the providers and the TPIAs have to play by in Canada, including who gets to (and has to) talk to you to get stuff done. You certainly don't have to put up with that garbage, and can just choose Rogers if you want to. Most people (on this board, anyway!) are choosing to deal with the - usually - minor hassles of having one extra provider in place to get a better product at a better price, but you certainly could decide that it's not worth it. It's one of the few nice things we have as a customer.

I wouldn't necessarily indict Start for the failing, but you need what you need, and you're always free to vote with your wallet. My father used to work for Bell, and after 4 weeks of problems with DSL in my new house (bad wiring that had been frequently chewed up by construction of nearby houses), I had to sign up with Cogeco. He knew that I had tried and was as frustrated as I, but I needed my Internet to be solid as I do a lot of after-hours support over VPN. Sometimes, things don't work out.

I'd give Start the chance, though. They have limited leverage with Rogers, but if there's an angle to be played in order to make this happen faster, they'll work to sort it out for you.

HowieDoin

join:2013-04-10
Fort Erie, ON
reply to grace1234
Correct me if I wrong here, and it may be that Im reading things wrong....But....you mention this is a new house and that there are no wires in the various walls that lead to the various rooms. Wouldn't that be the responsibility of the home builder if in fact it was in the contract to wire the home with coax?

grace1234

@HowieDoin
there are wires, just no Rogers box.

grace1234

reply to DavePC
I regret not having done, yes.

pellinore

join:2009-02-19
Ottawa, ON
reply to grace1234
I would contact your home builder and ask why there is no wiring to the house, were you told there was to be Rogers/Bell service to your house? Is there Bell wiring? I just bought a new house and both Bell and Rogers wiring was to the house but the wires to the inside were not connected and this is what the Rogers tech had to do when he came out.

pellinore

Ottawa, ON
reply to grace1234
Also for the wiring inside usually new home builders will wire 2-3 locations for telephone and cable, you would choose these location when you design the house.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23

1 edit
reply to pellinore
I'm sorry to hear this didn't go smoothly.

It sounds like there are two issues here, one is that the contractor didn't complete the wiring inside your home, ie the internet installer will not complete all your in-home cabling as part of the install rather their job is to connect service to the home and test to the jack that is already wired. I'm not sure if your contractor just missed completing this, or I've seen before some contractors purposefully leave this responsibility to the purchaser in the buyers agreement.

The second issue sounds like the cables are not already run to the house, which in itself is not usually a big deal and a temporary cable can be run until the 'burial' (I think that's the word you were wondering about) team can bury it - that team is completely outside of the control of both Rogers retail and ourselves, ie they have their own autonomous schedule based on all sorts of things like permits, location, etc. In your case it may not be possible that a temporary cable can be run, ie the pedestal may be across the street, etc.

At this point we have a couple of options, we can either fully refund your money of course and I'll apologize that things didn't work out, or if you would like we're happy to go to bat for you. I'd ask that you call in and talk with Ryan, he can be the point contact so you just deal with him on this and he can co-ordinate and try to get a more detailed update and find out what needs to be done. You'd still have the inside wiring to deal with however.

Just let me know which way you'd like to proceed and I'd be happy to accommodate. Sorry this one was a mess, it's pretty rare for something like this to happen.

Thanks.

edit: Just a quick update, I did get some more back-story here and we were able to get Rogers to run the line but they require that the inside wiring is completed first, presumably so they can complete the job and test at the jack. Since the inside wiring still isn't complete they rejected the last request. Still, I'd suggest calling in and talk with Ryan, he can assist further.

grace1234

Hi rocca, thanks for replying.
Sorry if I was offensive in my writing but at the same time I hope you get the level of frustration that I am getting, just to get the service up and running.

Here are some information to clear off some of the misunderstandings:

1. I have wires for bell and rogers line in the house
2. I need the Rogers tech to get Rogers cable from the 'tab' outside of the house and connect to the wire I have in my house.
3. Builder has done his part all done already. i have both bell and rogers lines but not actual cables from them.

I wish to try to work things out rather than cancelling right now.
Does Ryan know the situation or do I have to explain the whole thing again, just like I did to 5 other agents?
Is there an ext to Ryan?

Thanks (to all the people trying to help)

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Ryan will be brought up to speed, and this way you'll have a single person to handle this unique case until completion. He's in at 2pm, call in any time after that and ask to speak with him - maybe give him an hour to settle in and discuss the case with the other staff first. Thanks.

grace1234

Okay.
I hope he reads this post so he has an idea.
Ill make a call near 5:30pm ~ 6:00pm today.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
Yes, I've already included it in my ticket for him.

toyopl

join:2010-09-06
Milton, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to grace1234
I just moved in to a new build also, and I was also surprised that builders do not run cable to few locations in the house.
They do run telephone to all the rooms, but cable only to the living room and master bedroom.
I wish I paid more attention at the design appointment, I thought I was putting locations for cable in the rooms where they were supposed to be located, but it was telephone lines instead.

I installed modem in basement, and just run cat6 from modem up to my computer room through air return duct.

In my case it was one Rogers installer that came inside to install the modem, and he said another one will show up to connect it outside, the second guy showed up 5min after arrival of first guy, so everything went smoothly.

grace1234

Wow, I wish I had received the same quality of installation service as you received...

grace1234

reply to rocca
Thanks rocca.
I hope all works out well

pellinore

Ottawa, ON
reply to toyopl
said by toyopl:

I just moved in to a new build also, and I was also surprised that builders do not run cable to few locations in the house.
They do run telephone to all the rooms, but cable only to the living room and master bedroom.
I wish I paid more attention at the design appointment, I thought I was putting locations for cable in the rooms where they were supposed to be located, but it was telephone lines instead.

These builders are cutting corners when ever they can. My first house I bought we basically could put as many cable/phone outlets as we wanted. Second and third house we were only allowed 3 phone and 2 cable outlets but could pay for more.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to toyopl
houses from the last few years should have cat5 cabling running to each room for the phone hookup and all terminating in the basement. if that's the case you can simply convert one of those or all to RJ45 ends and make it an ethernet cable and keep the modem in the basement and simply plug your router or computer at the other end.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
reply to grace1234
Any updates on this Grace? Did Start resolve everything for you?
--
www.613websites.com - Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

grace1234

reply to grace1234
So here is how all this three week journey without internet came down to. I FINALLY GOT TEMP LINE and got the service today!!! I had to write a letter to my neighbor and explain the whole situation when I was told that my neighbor refused to give me temp line. Found out, he never spoke with any rogers technician and didnt understand why Rogers tech would lie about such a thing. I understand that its not really start communication's fault for sending a cunning Rogers tech. but I certainly hope that start gains some more power? over Rogers and support and protect their own customers. They could have asked Rogers WHICH NEIGHBOR the tech spoke to or asked rogers to get the tech's associate number or something to get to the bottom of things when this refusal to temp line from my neighbor was raised.
In any case, I got great help from Ryan and he was so helpful and caring. He was very thorough and gave me quick response about my concerns. Right now, my last concern is to get the temp line buried on the ground and I hope Rogers will do their jobs ethically this time.
At any rate, I am happy I got the service finally and am finally happy to be with start communications.
The speed was stable at 25/2 and the signal was not too high or too low, but just perfect, no drops or breaks.

Thanks all for all of your support and advice and I hope my thread helps out many others who are facing the same issue.

Start Sam

join:2014-01-21
London, ON
kudos:3
Hello Grace,

I'm glad this could be resolved to get your service up and running. Ryan's a pretty good guy and it's awesome he could work with you to get to the bottom of the situation and got the ball rolling.

Management here at Start is always working hard to improve our relationship with the incumbent network vendors, along with the other ISPs in CNOC.

Feel free to reach out to any of us here on DSLr, rocca, myself or any of the other Start DSLr team if you need something or have question/concern.

Enjoy the weekend!

rogersmogers

@108.170.167.x
reply to grace1234
said by grace1234:

So here is how all this three week journey without internet came down to. I FINALLY GOT TEMP LINE and got the service today!!! I had to write a letter to my neighbor and explain the whole situation when I was told that my neighbor refused to give me temp line. Found out, he never spoke with any rogers technician and didnt understand why Rogers tech would lie about such a thing. I understand that its not really start communication's fault for sending a cunning Rogers tech. but I certainly hope that start gains some more power? over Rogers and support and protect their own customers. They could have asked Rogers WHICH NEIGHBOR the tech spoke to or asked rogers to get the tech's associate number or something to get to the bottom of things when this refusal to temp line from my neighbor was raised.
In any case, I got great help from Ryan and he was so helpful and caring. He was very thorough and gave me quick response about my concerns. Right now, my last concern is to get the temp line buried on the ground and I hope Rogers will do their jobs ethically this time.
At any rate, I am happy I got the service finally and am finally happy to be with start communications.
The speed was stable at 25/2 and the signal was not too high or too low, but just perfect, no drops or breaks.

Thanks all for all of your support and advice and I hope my thread helps out many others who are facing the same issue.

It is a temp line, chances are they won't bury it because it is temp.

cepnot4me

join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to grace1234
Rogers install policies are no different for TPIA customers than they are for Rogers native customer.

That being said.
New home construction is always tricky.
The drop cable that feeds the home is usually not run by Rogers during construction. It's laid down by the builder, same as all the cable outlets in your home. Most builders only wire one outlet to the living room, one to the master bedroom. If you want more they generally cost $100+ and you need to specifically request them before the house is built.

On the day of installation. Rogers will run new lines to any location you choose. The catch is, they will not fish the lines. They will a drill hole straight through the wall to the exterior of the house and attach the cable to the outside till they get it to the hydro meter. Inside they will staple it along the baseboards until it arrives at your desired location.

This voids any siding warranties you have, and you must sign a letter of permission to assume all damages caused that day and any damages resulting from the work you have in the future.

Most customers don't like this. But it is their option.

Getting a drop cable to the house when the builder didn't run one is possible.
A temporary line is only run if it is not a safety hazard for you or the general public. It cannot be laid on the ground as this is a trip hazard. If we cannot run it up a tree and in the air, we have the option of running it from your neighbors.

Pending on how we have to run it, we may require your neighbors permission in written form. In a lot of cases during your install, if your neighbor isn't home, we can't just do it until we confirm they are OK with it.

Temp lines are always replaced with permanent buried lines.

It usually takes 2-5 months. And only during months there is no frost in the ground. April-September. Requests are done by a first come first serve basis (Meaning the first temp line run is the first one replaced at season start) and only after the utilities are located. Turnaround is as soon as legally possible, sometimes as quick as 30 days, but sometimes as long as 6 months.

I'm sorry you had such an awful experience. I work for Rogers, I like to explain how the policies and field techs work and think. There is always good reason for the way things happen, but they aren't always properly explained to anyone.