join:2009-01-16
West Des Moines, IA

DSM_Sparky to thedragonmas

to thedragonmas

Re: Mediacom Redirects AGAIN

said by thedragonmas:

said by InterceptorX:

Care to explain?

simplified. (i.e. im no network admin). you want to go to google, you type in google.com in your address bar, the browser then requests the IP address from the dns server, the dns server replies with an address. your browser then goes to the address via what ever "path" the ISP selects. the dns can not specify a path.

i.e. you want to call doe, you look up their phone number in the phone book, you pick up your phone and dial, you have no control over what path the phone call takes, the phone company does.

Yes, but the assumption there is that there's one source/server for a particular piece of information, whereas NetFlix/Amazon/Apple have many many servers.

Think of it this way--if one asks directory assistance for McDonalds, there's one a mile away and one in Boise, Idaho. They both serve the same cheeseburgers and the same same soft drinks. However the cheeseburger and drink will be obtained much more quickly by going to the McDonald's one mile away rather than Boise.

In the same way, there are local phone books with information optimized for the people in that locale. One could check a (theoretical) "national" phone book for McDonalds, but the local phone book will give local results. If someone checks a "national" phone book (OpenDNS, Google Public DNS) they're going to receive valid yet unoptimized results due to the lack of geographical information. In the same way, Amazon/Netflix/Apple may try to provide Mediacom's "local" DNS servers with "local" servers for streaming video.

Does it work perfectly? No. In fact I'm not surprised it may have the opposite effect in some cases, but it can have a positive effect. If Netflix can make a customer's video stream that much smoother with a "local" server they may choose Netflix over a competing service.

A related idea--Netflix's "Open Connect Content Delivery Network": »www.netflix.com/openconnect .
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

2 recommendations

GLIMMER

said by DSM_Sparky See Profile
A related idea--Netflix's "Open Connect Content Delivery Network": »www.netflix.com/openconnect .
[/bquote :

If you think mediacom is ever going to do the openconnect thing your dreaming. Hell Netflix is PAYING comcast for access. Front page of DSL reports today

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by GLIMMER:

If you think mediacom is ever going to do the openconnect thing your dreaming. Hell Netflix is PAYING comcast for access. Front page of DSL reports today

Mediacom doesn't have the leverage to make Netflix pay.