Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok

Re: new pc build

said by Krisnatharok:

Bottom enthusiast i7 (920) with a Radeon 4870 and 12 GB of ram.

Hehe, pretty much identical to my 920 build in December 2008, except mine had half of the RAM.

When I built it, I got a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. I'm still using it to this day on my 980X, which pushes it to its limit. It's idling at 30 C now (23 C ambient temp), but it routinely runs around 75 C when folding, 10 C on top of that for Linpack. According to my UPS, there's a 191w delta between idle and Linpack power consumption. Definitely a lot for a relatively old heatsink to handle.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I should have done an i7-875K (or whatever was the unlocked 1156 one) and a faster GPU. lol.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Thordrune

Premium Member

to Thordrune
said by Thordrune:

Hehe, pretty much identical to my 920 build in December 2008, except mine had half of the RAM.

My wife still has this system, including the 6GB of RAM. She had a GTS260 When she bought it.

She's currently using my 560ti with it.

EQ
Thordrune
Premium Member
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

My friend's wife has some Dell XPS with an i7-920. He later upgraded the power supply and stuffed a 560 Ti in it. It had 4 GB RAM and Vista until recently. I gave her my old 6 GB set of RAM - 6 slots, so 9 GB total now. He also bought an SSD and Windows 8.1 for it. Now it runs MUCH better.
said by Krisnatharok:

I should have done an i7-875K (or whatever was the unlocked 1156 one) and a faster GPU. lol.

Definitely a good option from a cost and power perspective, but you were able to enjoy that 920 a year and a half before the 875K went on sale . To me, the early adopter cost was worth it. I'm amazed at how long 1366 has been relevant/competitive; the Negative Nancy side of me blames the stagnation of performance improvements. At least power consumption is a lot lower now.

DaMan666
Premium Member
join:2004-09-17
Minneapolis, MN

DaMan666

Premium Member

Now that I know what graphics to go for. I will get what ever Hard drives you point me to. And then thing will be fin.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok to Thordrune

Premium Member

to Thordrune
said by Thordrune:

I'm amazed at how long 1366 has been relevant/competitive;

Agreed! My wife is still rocking my i7-920 with 24 GB ram, 120 GB SSD, and a GTX 560 Ti. She's in ITM and is always testing out stuff on a host of VMs she runs, so the eight threads and all the ram is well-suited for her needs.
Krisnatharok

Krisnatharok to DaMan666

Premium Member

to DaMan666
said by DaMan666:

Now that I know what graphics to go for. I will get what ever Hard drives you point me to. And then thing will be fin.

Which one? Based on your build so far, it looks like you need RAM, OS, GPU, and HDD(s).

What's your remaining budget, and what's your intended uses for the rig (gaming, which games, what resolution, etc.)?

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
That was easily one of the best platforms in recent memory to be completely honest, it was an affordable enthusiast build, and CPU power wise it still holds up.

That X58 EVGA mobo she has just won't quit.

EQ

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

That X58 EVGA mobo she has just won't quit.

That's the same one I have. It's a workhorse!

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

That's the same one I have. It's a workhorse!

I know although they were very basic (feature wise) motherboards, the build quality was out of this world. We literally put that thing together once, and it ran for three years, without ever having to tweak/change anything.

The only time I opened it afterward (besides dusting) was to replace the GPU/PSU to something a bit more modern.

I went from a GTX260/Ultra750w LSP to a GTX560ti with a Seasonic xpower 760w platinum; and that was about a year ago.
Thordrune
Premium Member
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

I felt the same way about my Asus P6T Deluxe board I originally ran. It's still one of my favorite motherboards. Great BIOS, lots of features, and very stable. Unfortunately, it didn't play nice with my 980X once I started overclocking it, so I switched to a Gigabyte X58A-UD7. I'm much less fond of that one.

DaMan666
Premium Member
join:2004-09-17
Minneapolis, MN

DaMan666

Premium Member

No. I just have a price range 4-6 hundred for a card to be determind later. The mem was going to be »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 20231628. 16 GB I can add more later. I want to play any game. I just need a good name on a 2TB HDD and then a MAX of what GB I will need in a SDD to run Win 8.1

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

The ram looks fine, and the cheapest GTX 780 Ti is $670, which is a little above your price range. The best performing card you'll find will be an AMD Radeon R9 290X. I recommend this one: »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 14202079

For HDD, you can't go wrong with a Western Digital. »pcpartpicker.com/part/we ··· 2002faex

SSDs are now commonly found in 1TB and 500 GB flavors. Pick one based on available budget:
• Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB - $449 - »pcpartpicker.com/part/sa ··· 7te1t0bw
• Samsung 840 EV 500GB - $244 - »pcpartpicker.com/part/sa ··· 7te500bw

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Thordrune

Premium Member

to Thordrune
I had a P5Q board that was pretty solid, and at the time I pretty much thought that it was the be-all-end-all of computing.

I currently have an 1150 board (Z87X-D3H) and an 1155 board (P8Z77-V) and I'm a little torn as to which one I like best.

EQ

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO
·Comcast XFINITY

jchambers28 to DaMan666

Premium Member

to DaMan666
If you want a decant air cooler get a Noctua NH-U14S. Sure that fans are a shitty brown and tan color but the performance is really good a quiet. »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 35608041